Timberwolf For First Mech

14 replies to this topic

#1 Synycyl

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

Hi. Noob here that came over from Stream. I am enjoying the game thus far, and have collected all the early bonus money to have $20m c bills. I seem to survive best in the trial Timberwolf. I want to purchase one, but I know that there are bonuses obtained by getting xp in three variants of the same mech. Since Timberwolves are so expensive, am I going to slow down my progress a lot by starting with that mech? Is there a better mech for first time purchase for a new player who is just learning concepts like the torso twist to spread damage and hasn't quite figured out how hit boxes work? Thanks.

#2 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostSynycyl, on 20 December 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hi. Noob here that came over from Stream. I am enjoying the game thus far, and have collected all the early bonus money to have $20m c bills. I seem to survive best in the trial Timberwolf. I want to purchase one, but I know that there are bonuses obtained by getting xp in three variants of the same mech. Since Timberwolves are so expensive, am I going to slow down my progress a lot by starting with that mech? Is there a better mech for first time purchase for a new player who is just learning concepts like the torso twist to spread damage and hasn't quite figured out how hit boxes work? Thanks.

The Timber is a great mach but it has 2 huge down sides and you just found the the first in which they are very expensive, the second is that sense Timbers are so good they tend to be primary targeted. I'm guessing you are in T5 but once you get into T4+ people tend to know which mechs are the most dagerouse so be prepared to be focused on.

#3 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

Normally i would recommend the Storm Crow for beginners, just like the timber, it can do pretty much every build. As you mentioned, it would be easier to buy 3 Storm Crows in order to level them.
But the difference between a mech on basic and a mech on elite is not that big anymore. That´s why i would go for the mech that you enjoy the most.
I for instance started with an atlas and it took me quite a while to be able to purchase the next one. So you are right, buying and leveling an expesive mech is a grind. But as long as you have fun while doing it? why not? I would go for the timber!

#4 Altruis Lightbringer

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

Timberwolfs when the skills are max'd out are great, when they are new, they tend to be cannon fodder. However, I have three of them and I love em to death. I would save some c-bills, get a cheap clan mech and see if you like them. I use the cost plus 10 percent rule. That way you can buy weaopns to suit your playstyle

#5 Russhuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

As most Clan chassis are Nerfed to death by the recent Nerfs, i do recomment the Timber wolf first then the storm crow
Aye both are loaded with red Nerfs but still both are the best Clan has left to offer and can still provide some fun in the game

keep off the assaults as almost all of them are to nerfed to be useful anymore maybe when you have some skill i point the warhawk out,.. but even this chassis is hit hard by the recent heat and -20% agility nerf any light mech will kill you

If you like lights then look at the Arctic Chetah

Edited by Russhuster, 20 December 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#6 Unreliable Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

If my experience in this mech is the norm, prepare to get focused often. Be safe out there!

This guide was helpful: http://metamechs.com...es/timber-wolf/

It is such a versatile mech, so many builds available.

Edited by Owen Miller, 20 December 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#7 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

If you like it the most then go for it!

Just beware clan tech is expensive so be ready for that when you decide to elite your mechs.

#8 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:00 PM

Hello fellow steam user. If you have the money on steam i'd also recomend the Steam heavy performance bundle since you get a Timberwolf that has a 30% Cbill boost. It's $40 right now. It'll be $50 after the 22nd.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

Fly the mech you wanna fly, sir. It's like buying a car. You might find that Dodge Neon fits your budget better than the Cadillac Escalade, and it's even reasonable (good on gas, fairly reliable overall, cheap to fix). On the other hand, the moment you drive off the lot you'll see someone else in an Escalade, and you'll wish it was you.

Get the Escalade, dude.

#10 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

Keep in mind the 'hidden cost' of some mechs. Check if the mech price includes such things as Endo Steel and Double Heat Sinks - if you are looking at IS mechs mostly. Clan mechs tend to either come with them, or you can't get them.

If you looking at a (just making up numbers here) TimberWolf that already HAS Endo Steel, Double Heats, and a Clan XL engine for say 14 million, vs an IS Heavy for 7 million that needs an engine upgrade, plus DHeats, plus Endo Steel... well suddenly the Timberwolf doesn't look quite so crazy expensive anymore...

#11 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

I have a timberwolf related question. i have the Steam pack Timberwolf and am wondering which timberwolf should i get next?

#12 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 20 December 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

I have a timberwolf related question. i have the Steam pack Timberwolf and am wondering which timberwolf should i get next?

For my taste you already have the best variant. It all depends on the CT-pod, all other omnipods can be exchanged. Go for the TBR S as the next variant and you should be golden. The third one doesn´t matter.

#13 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

The only problem with the TW is that it will spoil you for all other mechs, maybe except lights. Yes, it is still that good. Expensive, too, but would you rather elite some ****** thing that has half the potential, and will later sit in your mechbays unused? I say go for it (linked builds).

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:16 AM

I think you would be better using just about anything else in the medium or heavy weight classes (except the Stormcrow) for your first Mech, most Mechs have a skill to teach you which will be useful later, unfortunately the Timber Wolf does not teach you any of those useful skills while it can benefit greatly from the lessons you will learn on other Mechs.

that is just my opinion feel free to disregard

#15 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:34 AM

The TBR is a good mech overall.

The big thing when you are looking at your first mech is finding one that fits your play style. My honest suggestion for a first mech would be to go with whichever of the trial mechs you have had the best performance out of. Just realize that if that is on of the champion mechs [designated with the (C) after it] that you will either have to buy it with MC or buy the non-champion version of refit it some as you have the C-Bills available.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users