Damage Question

6 replies to this topic

#1 Legion173

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

Did a lot playing this weekend and had a blast. This weekend was dedicated to getting better with SRMS. I was using my RVN-3Ls. I was running around, rounded a corner and ran into something big ( it was that quick, didn't get t license plate number on the back of the truck) and another raven. So I did what I normally do.....kept it cranked( was doing 140) and run past them. no big deal, we all were surprised and I had speed on my side. all of sudden im dead. The report said damaged by med laser and damage by SRM4-ARTEMIS (spelling? not sure) and destroyed by engine. This was my first hit of the game. Now I have taken some beatings with bigger guns than that. while standing still. Do you think I got hit with an alpha and it didn't register all the hits (on the report that pops up after you die)? Is there some critical chance even with full armor....bad role...engine explodes...that sucks buddy... Only time I have been really confused in the game. Thanks!!

#2 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

Are you running an XL engine I assume?
Sounds like you ran past them from your description, likely you took that hit to the back (betting you have minimal armour there?) and likely either lost a ST with and XL or they cored you in one salvo.

Keep in mind that it says Medium Laser, but it doesn't tell you how many ;) Prob took an alpha to the back is my bet. Also, that artemis further tightens up the grouping of that SRM salvo.

I usually try to twist as I run away to present a ST until I can round a corner.. but it's tricky to "run blind" and requires decent situational awareness to pull off but saves your back armour from hits.

EDIT, explain XL and ST... you probably know this, but just in case... if you are running an Inner Sphere XL engine, if you lose EITHER ST you die. (versus clan tech which you can lose a ST, just 20% less power).

Edited by Morggo, 21 December 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#3 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:48 AM

Yeah, like Morggo said, the final damage after death readout isn't all that descriptive. Big difference between getting hit by 1 medium laser and getting hit by 7. Also big difference between taking 5 SRM4+ARTEMIS and taking 1.

For Inner Sphere mechs (which the Raven is) the XL engine has a higher risk than for Clan mechs. If you run an IS XL you will die if you lose either side torso. For the Clans, you take a penalty to speed/heat efficiency for losing just one side torso with an XL, and you die if you lose both side torsos with Clan XL.

EDIT: For non-extremity portions of your mech (i.e. all the torso sections) there is a front and a rear armor value. Generally the armor value is much lower in the back, so it's something to watch out for. The extremities (i.e. arms/legs) only have one armor value and all damage applies to that value regardless of if the shot came from the front or rear.

Edited by Voivode, 21 December 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#4 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

View PostLegion173, on 21 December 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

Did a lot playing this weekend and had a blast. This weekend was dedicated to getting better with SRMS. I was using my RVN-3Ls. I was running around, rounded a corner and ran into something big ( it was that quick, didn't get t license plate number on the back of the truck) and another raven. So I did what I normally do.....kept it cranked( was doing 140) and run past them. no big deal, we all were surprised and I had speed on my side. all of sudden im dead. The report said damaged by med laser and damage by SRM4-ARTEMIS (spelling? not sure) and destroyed by engine. This was my first hit of the game. Now I have taken some beatings with bigger guns than that. while standing still. Do you think I got hit with an alpha and it didn't register all the hits (on the report that pops up after you die)? Is there some critical chance even with full armor....bad role...engine explodes...that sucks buddy... Only time I have been really confused in the game. Thanks!!

The game only lists the weapon type (the bottom one is the one that did the final tick of damage), but not count. So you could have been hit by 10 Medium Lasers, but all the game would show is "Damaged by Medium Laser"

#5 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

Almost any mech in the game, even other lights, can one-shot a Raven by taking out a side torso from the rear. This is why you put only one point of armour on the rear of your mech and then make absolutely sure that no enemy ever sees your rear - always be torso twisting such that they can only hit the front of your mech where all the armour is.

And like others said above, the death recap doesn't give you the quantity. It might have said SRM4+A, but in all actuality it might have been 4x SRM4+A + 4 medium lasers. Posted Image

#6 Legion173

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:05 AM

yeah Im running XL and tracking on if I lose anything other than my left arm, I die.....haha. I am getting better at the shielding and twisting to spread damage. This one was a complete surprise and I usually have pretty good situational awareness. I can usually do the run right by em with no problem. I figured it didn't say how many I got hit byPosted Image

Im still having a blast and not doing bad on the holiday leaderboard for my little raven (10th). thanks for the quick reply!

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

View PostLegion173, on 21 December 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

Some very, very quick things to point out.

1) Damage report does not report how many times OR how many weapons hit you. Only the identification of what hit you. For example if in the course of a match you are exclusively attacked by medium lasers, it could be 1 guy with 1 ML or it could be 12 players with 14 ML each -- it will only state "Damage by medium laser."

It's clear you've realized this on your own.

2) The game has no through-armor criticals. However assuming something like 22/10 armor, 2 ML to the back with good traction will fry that rear ST armor. 6 ML -- the common norm -- will kill you. Just pop, dead.

Personally, I run very Sloooooow Ravens. My rear is 2 armor and my front is 30 armor. I also know the rear is a flat-ish panel that I will never let anyone hit because amazing torso twist. Raven 4X.

Now that said... I would like a moment of silence for the Locust seen here. Pew. Actually take a moment for everything on the wrong end of 2 PPCs and 7 ML.

Edited by Koniving, 21 December 2015 - 09:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users