#1 Cotton3Y3DJ03

Rookie

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 3 posts
  • Locationhave no idea

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

Hello there,

I bought the steam lights pack and with it comes a rvn-3l but when i check the varients owned to elite it only shows the 4x, 2x varients do i have to buy the 3l again to elite it my special 3l?

Edited by AnthonioAntorian, 20 December 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#2 BoseMensch

• Pip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 05:48 PM

You have to have three variants of any given mech to elite them. I.e. three different versions have to buy all of the mech skills on the first tier for all three versions to unlock the elite skills. So you will have to buy two other raven varieties with your c-bills to get elite them. The good news is that you should be able to buy those and kit them out how you want with the c-bills you earn in your first 25 matches, which have a total bonus of around 9 million I think.

I just started recently, and elited the hunchback. I used the trial hunchback for the first 25 matches, then bought the 4P and got all the skills unlocked for first tier, then bought the 4F and finished the skills there, then bought the 4G and finished elite with that one. Anyhow, as you keep building your XP, you'll earn enough C bills to buy the other ravens and then elite them. Hope that helped!

#3 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

You probably needed to by a Mastery Pack instead (3 variants of the same type), which allows you to xp up everything you need.

The smaller packs are good for 'trying out' a chassis if you want to save your ingame c-bill earnings for other things.

#4 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

All variants of the 3L count towards the 3L xp count. So a 3L, 3L(C), 3L(S) all count to the 3L exp count, and by extension, the same skill bank.

#5 Cotton3Y3DJ03

Rookie

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 3 posts
  • Locationhave no idea

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:30 PM

Alright so I don't need to buy another 3L then since the 3L (S) counts now off to that painful grind of the 4X

#6 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:15 PM

View PostAnthonioAntorian, on 20 December 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

Alright so I don't need to buy another 3L then since the 3L (S) counts now off to that painful grind of the 4X

4X is actually a really nice chassis to work with. Take a pair of LLs and a XL255, 2 external DHS and 4 JJs and you're all set.

#7 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

The 4X is my favorite. You can get a lot out of it with just 2 ER LL or 2 LPLs due to the quirks. I strip some armor and stuff a Gauss Rifle into it.

RVN-4X Posted Image

#8 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

I put an AC20 in my 4X. I call it the BoomBird. Great for giggles, but I also really enjoy getting up close and personal in my mechs. (Even my lights.)

#9 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

View PostElizander, on 20 December 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

The 4X is my favorite. You can get a lot out of it with just 2 ER LL or 2 LPLs due to the quirks. I strip some armor and stuff a Gauss Rifle into it.

RVN-4X Posted Image

And you are turning around looking, wonder where that Gauss slug came from, as it has a distinct sound when it hits.

#10 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

you have the RVN-3L (S) for that package. If you had the 3L (C) it would be the same, showing as not owned. It is the same with my phoenix mechs with the (p) after them, the resisantance I, Clan I and Clan II (variant) mechs. They do not show up as owned in the store.

#11 M0rdresh

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:41 AM

I wonder; once achieved elite status or master, what happens if you sell the other two variants?
Do you need to have them in stock at all times?

While I did enjoy playing around with some other specs, getting elite or master feels like a grind because I love my original load out and didn't feel compelled to play another load-out but I had to to achieve elite.

Edited by M0rdresh, 21 December 2015 - 01:43 AM.

#12 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:57 AM

View PostM0rdresh, on 21 December 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

I wonder; once achieved elite status or master, what happens if you sell the other two variants?
Do you need to have them in stock at all times?

While I did enjoy playing around with some other specs, getting elite or master feels like a grind because I love my original load out and didn't feel compelled to play another load-out but I had to to achieve elite.

Nothing realy. Did that on several older Chassis that became obsolete over time or that became overnerfed and therefor unplayable with my prefered loadouts. ( Catapult for example or the Banshee before the laser vomit meta, or Victor after the nutbreaking debilating mutilating movement model, jumpjets andt gauss ppc nerfs )
The skill level and xp you got on every variant before selling remain the same.
Only issue is you need to keep the mechs until you elited three of them to be able to unlock master.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:41 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 21 December 2015 - 01:57 AM, said:

Only issue is you need to keep the mechs until you elited three of them to be able to unlock master.

no you do not, you the XP is still there and the skills are still unlocked, you literally only need to own the variant you are working on and can sell it as soon as you have the skill level you need unlocked. however that said I do not recommend selling unless you are sure you will not want to use that variant again.

as soon as you elite a Mech that counts towards master no matter weather or not you own it.

other than that good advice

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:06 AM

Correct.

Welcome to MWO.

I had a much bigger post explaining each distinction and the variants that get them, gonna just summarize it. First, despite how confusing their responses were you got the right idea. Variants with ( ) in their names are identical to the SAME variants without it. They count the same, there is no difference. You do NOT have to buy a Raven 3L if you have a Raven 3L (S).

The (S) is not a variant distinction or subtype, it is just an indication that it's the cbill bonus unit.

(S) simply means (S)team package.

On a Jenner it means (S)arah, a special cancer donation promotion some ages ago.
The letters mean:
(F)ounders. (first 4 mechs)
(P)hoenix. (6 IS mechs, soft unseen.)
(I)nvasion. (ALL Clan Omnimechs; currently 17 chassis)
( R )esistance. (8 IS mechs, soft unseen.)
(L)oyalty. (Gift mechs given out during every anniversary for those who support the game).
(O)rigins (Clan Battlemechs; currently 4 of them).
(S)pecial (the hard unseen's special collector's issue. Used in place of C to avoid confusion; admittedly it should use L as most of them are titled Return of a Legend).

( C ) Champions -- these changed recently but mean champion. They used to give an experience bonus, but there's talk of a weak cbill bonus? I've stopped following the info here since standard variants that aren't actually visually unique don't interest me, it's just a paid shortcut to upgrading.

(?) IS Omnimech package name is unknown, therefore the letter name is also unknown. Look forward to it.

Edited by Koniving, 21 December 2015 - 05:08 AM.

#15 M0rdresh

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 December 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

You do NOT have to buy a Raven 3L if you have a Raven 3L (S).
As a new player I found that out the hard way recently Posted Image
But it does seem logical with your example, with them pesky 0000000000 King Crab numbers, I simple looked over it.

Edited by M0rdresh, 21 December 2015 - 05:26 AM.

#16 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:24 AM

View PostM0rdresh, on 21 December 2015 - 05:25 AM, said:

As a new player I found that out the hard way recently Posted Image
But it does seem logical with your example, with them pesky 0000000000 King Crab numbers, I simple looked over it.

Don't feel bad. It happens. I had another account previously, and created this one shortly before the Sarah's Jenner came out (I think). Couldn't switch my stuff over from that account to this one (it still exists), so had to re-buy the RVN-3L and re-level it. Had the other one MASTERed, with like 75k-ish XP sitting on it, and had exchanged a lot of it to GXP previously. It was the one, the Electric Blueberry Disco Lollipop. Went and worked up the C-Bills to buy another RVN-3L, XL 295 engine, etc. Some time later, wound up buying the -3L(C) anyhow for the mild Champion mech bonus, and thus I sold the old plain -3L, making that TWO that I had bought and worked up from zero, only to part ways with them.

If you find a used -3L with a multicolored blue/aqua/purple paint job, just bleach the seat. TRUST me. It was a strange time in my life.

#17 Cotton3Y3DJ03

Rookie

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 3 posts
  • Locationhave no idea

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

wow I wasn't expecting this much of a response thank you guys so much it all really helped me. loving the game the lore behind it even though there are some inconsistencies with it, still amazing! happy hunting to one and all Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users