Map Voting?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Yozzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:54 AM

Still this map and game mode voting is crap.

Some maps shouldn't be played as conquest. Not good for the MWO experience to be honest.
Because a lot of people are voting for their own multiplier you end up with ****** combinations.
Remove that mode selection and make it like before.

Keep the mapvote. But make it a selection of just 2 maps... That's it.

#2 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:30 AM

What you don't like the map vote system?

It's really just vote for what map the next skirmish will be played on.If it wasn't for the event I doubt I would see anything but skirmish when skirmish is an option.

And another thing,I can not for the life of me figure out why HPG manifold is so popular. It is probably one of the worst map designs we have. two thirds of the map are ignored,it's basically another "doughnut" map with a central dominant feature that inexplicable draws puggies into it. and the remaining 1/3 of the map everyone plays on is tiny.

HPG is more like a solaris arena than a battlefield.

#3 Yozzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

I dont wanna play that stupid conquest mode if im playing solo...

Specially in a assault mech...

Edited by Yozzman, 19 December 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#4 Super Trooper

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:54 AM

Make voting blind and showing the results after the timer expires. That way you don't get people playing the multiplier game changing their vote at the last second.

#5 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:59 AM

View PostLykaon, on 18 December 2015 - 07:30 AM, said:

What you don't like the map vote system?

It's really just vote for what map the next skirmish will be played on.If it wasn't for the event I doubt I would see anything but skirmish when skirmish is an option.

And another thing,I can not for the life of me figure out why HPG manifold is so popular. It is probably one of the worst map designs we have. two thirds of the map are ignored,it's basically another "doughnut" map with a central dominant feature that inexplicable draws puggies into it. and the remaining 1/3 of the map everyone plays on is tiny.

HPG is more like a solaris arena than a battlefield.

Note true. This event I have played more Conquest than I played the whole time under the old system combined.

HPG is popular due to multiple levels and low heat. Really is a good map for many reasons as every type of mech can find its niche on HPG.

#6 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostSuper Trooper, on 19 December 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

Make voting blind and showing the results after the timer expires. That way you don't get people playing the multiplier game changing their vote at the last second.

Why? Nothing I like more than dropping a big fat map multiplier on terra therma at the last second when people think they have another map in the bag.

#7 MadnessHero86

Rookie

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

There are really many issues with the current voting system. The idea behind a voting system is great but it is just not executed correctly. My first suggestion is to make the map vote percentages hidden. This would immediately end the vote switching and on the subject of vote switching. Could you imagine if while voting for offices we were able to switch our votes 5 times? It would be chaos and that is exactly what the current voting system is, PGI can try and make it seem like there is order there but it is essentially a random voting system due to people switching their votes to multiplier farm. There are a few ways to fix it in my mind. The second suggestion would be to make a vote permanent I.E. once you have made your pick you cannot switch votes. This would likely bring in the problem of everyone waiting until the last second to vote which can be addressed by my first idea. And let us also talk about the multiplier, if someone has lost some map votes is it really in everyone best interest to get up to 5,6,7,or higher multipliers. The republican party has lost the last two elections so all members of the republican party should get double or triple votes, this idea is moronic. I mean come on why should the whole rest of the 23 players in a match be subjected to the whims of one person who is either trolling (see above) or has bad tastes in maps. Anyone that wants to come talk to me about variety needs to look at what maps are still getting picked to even be voted for, I swear every vote this weekend consisted of river city, forest colony every time and then the other slot alternating between frozen city, hpg and bog leaving one map slot ever cycling out between the others. I see mining collective maybe twice a week and it is on my top 3, and lets not even talk about how often alpine is even an option. Whats the point? Well if your going to put in a voting system then I don't see why every map should have the same chance to be picked as the other ones. Saying well this one is lower because people don't like it (therma) well that is stupid game/map design and shouldn't be left on the customers to weed through.

#8 Melon Lord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

The only map that shouldn't be played conquest is the Mining Collective, and its only been ruined since they changed which caps the right team got at the beginning of the match. Right team no longer has to cap their right most point since it's theirs now, so center and right lances can rush left team's left spawn (if anyone is stupid enough to grab it) and it is always 2 lances vs 1 and they get demolished. Or more likely left team just abandons their left spawn even though its only a few meters in front of them, and they're down by points right off the bat. I know this isn't exactly what you meant, but I've been meaning to complain on the forums about this for awhile.

I think voting is pretty good as is. Changing to blind voting won't change much, those who want to try and "game" the system will still try, and those who just vote for what they want still will. And if someone tries to "game" the system by enduring maps they dislike for 10 matches to try and accumulate vote weight, they're earned their Mordor if you ask me. Plus how often do these guys waste their +7 influence voting for and getting Bog when they were still trying to "game" the system? Pretty often.

Edited by Melon Lord, 23 December 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#9 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

If they added all three game modes to vote on I would be very happy with the system

#10 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

restricting votes to 1 vote only would do away with all the vote gambling that is going on. It's so annoying.

#11 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

View PostMoldur, on 23 December 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

restricting votes to 1 vote only would do away with all the vote gambling that is going on. It's so annoying.

Vote accumulation is needed so that all maps and modes will get played instead of it just being 90% frozen city skirmish as it was before they added it.

The rage against "Vote Farming" is dumb, as it lets a player maybe choose a map of their choice once every 6-12 games, and then it resets. And with everyone attempting to "farm" at the same time you'll often vote against a map you want and get the wrong map when everyone else tries to switch at the same time.

#12 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

Im with the OP get rid of voting. Especially game mode voting. Too many playing conquest/assault who have no business playing those modes. Or redo PSR so win loss does not matter as much.

#13 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 19 December 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

Note true. This event I have played more Conquest than I played the whole time under the old system combined.

HPG is popular due to multiple levels and low heat. Really is a good map for many reasons as every type of mech can find its niche on HPG.

Um...I actually did make mention that the event was allowing game modes other than skirmish to come up. But now that the event is over I counted up my results. 32 matches in the solo queue since the event ended 23 Skirmish 3 conquest 6 assaults.

Also in the 5 games where HPG Manifold was an option to select the map 4 of those the map was selected the 5th I blocked with a X5 multiplyer or else it would have been another skirmish on HPG.

HPG is a poorly designed map because of quite a few reasons.

1) 2/3 of the map is unused nearly all the time because in a skirmish there are no objectives that lay outside the central walled region and of course everyone always goes into the central walled region.

2) If one team has longer range than the other by random hapenstance of matchmaker selection they get some free popshots off the very second an enemy lance enters the central region.There is no time available for positioning since the path is blatantly ovious and easy to trace line of sight to seconds into the match.

3) It's a NASCAR track with a pitstop in the middle. Your tactical choices in a HPG skirmish are up down left right. Not much different from an early 90's side scroller :P

4) Because the targeting reticule isn't true to weapon possition and the very limited pitch of mech torsos fighting on a slope in the game is irritating at the best of times impossible in the worst of times. HPG will almost ALWAYS force a battle on a slope.

Also, I see one big yet overlooked issue with skirmish. The only way to win skirmish is to destroy more mechs than the other team. And the match maker determines who and what goes on a team in the solo queue.

The matchmaker doesn't see a difference between a tier three pilot in a stock Orion 1K and a tier three pilot in a meta as hell Timberwolf. The matchmaker see that as a match.

Or a stock urbanmech with a tier 4 is the same as a fully customized tier 4 Arctic Cheetah with ECM.

The matchmaker doesn't even make a distinction between a trial mech and a fully customized owned mech. It only matches tonnage class and pilot tiers.

The matchmaker does not take into account if a team has tons of LRMs and the other team has tons of ECM.

Essentially the matchmaker can and does create a handicap for one team or the other every time it matches yet Skirmish is the only game mode that relies entirey on defeating the enemy in straight up combat as the only means of winning the match.

#14 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

I'd like to see maps as something you can vote on, and game modes as something you can check and uncheck, like we used to be able to do. This semi-random mode stuff is stupid, I think.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users