- - - - -

Helpful User.cfg Edits

3 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:50 AM

So there are some useful changes you can make to your user.cfg file. Most of them will improve game performance, and some have unintended side-effects that may give you an edge.

Alot of the veteran players use them, and insist they aren't exploiting them to gain an unfair advantage against new players like you who don't know about them.

So this thread is for the vets to share their edits with new players. Same way they share build advice and tactical advice. I would do it myself except I don't know enough about file edits to give good advice.

But since the vets claim they use them in good faith, I'm certain they will be along any moment now to share them with everyone else Posted Image

Maybe a mod can pin this as a FAQ for the new crowd. Even playing field and all.

Edited by Fen Tetsudo, 22 December 2015 - 04:54 AM.

#2 Vermaxx

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:00 AM

They should just delete the thing, in fact I remember them saying a lot of the previous possible changes would no longer have effect.

It's nothing but a BS exploit if you ask me, and I've used the fov changes.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

I used to have one to disable cockpit glass and change FVO but those are now changable in ingame settings, so I do not use user.cfg at the moment

#4 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

The file you want is outdated. It just contains information to tweak the settings you can access through the setting options in the UI. This file is from the oldest UI that didn't have sliders or settings for anything. If you wanted to change your mouse sensitivity, field of vision, or even use a joystick, you had to edit the usr.cfg. Also it's not even used anymore. The patch that contained the settings upgrade made it so the file isn't used anymore. I've reinstalled to leverage steam and the file is no longer there, so this isn't really a thing anymore.

The only exploit I've ever heard related to gaining a advantage from tweaking stuff like this was the removal of the film grain from the client. This was included to make the game line up with the lore. BattleMechs don't have windows. Anything like that would just be silly and wouldn't stop a 250 pound Gauss slug traveling at MACH 2.2. Lore states that Mech sensor feed data to a monitor inside the cockpit. For a long time in open beta, film grain was added to simulate this. Some people would diddle thing to remove it, which was most definitely an exploit and would get you in trouble. This no longer an issue as the film grain was removed years ago. They recently added in cockpit glass but you can turn that off in settings.

Here is a video if you need it for help with your settings. It starts with an overview. If you want specifics just let the play list run, the detailed videos follow.

Edit because from != form

Edited by Spike Brave, 22 December 2015 - 05:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users