7 replies to this topic

#1 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:13 AM

I live in Europe.

Ping on European is okay, less than 50 ms.

Ping on US server is around 130 ms. But wait time is greatly reduced.

Question: what is the max ping acceptable to play ?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:55 AM

View PostGoritude, on 25 December 2015 - 02:13 AM, said:

I live in Europe.

Ping on European is okay, less than 50 ms.

Ping on US server is around 130 ms. But wait time is greatly reduced.

Question: what is the max ping acceptable to play ?

for years the Australians were playing with 250+ ping, and were managing, recently hit detection has been much improved, I have played at 250+ ping to the oceanic server and while it is not as nice as the 45 ping EU or 95 ping NA server it is still playable.

on a few occaisions I have had a dodgy connection at 750+ ping and that is not playable, but less than 250 definitely is

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 25 December 2015 - 02:56 AM.

#3 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

Just beware, no connection in the world will save you from the shenanigans which occur when two BattleMechs make physical contact with one another.

#4 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:54 AM

I have never suffered damage from collision with a team mate.

Can you damage an enemy by rushing on him ?

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:15 AM

View PostGoritude, on 25 December 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

I have never suffered damage from collision with a team mate.

Can you damage an enemy by rushing on him ?

yes, but it does negligable damage, probably 0-2 points depending on how fast you collide, and it does the same damage to both Mechs, I have in the past had a match end with me and an enemy Mech both with no weapons left, I was in the faster Mech so kept colliding with the enemy, it took about 5 minutes to leg him, the leg had started without armor, the match timed out before we killed each other.

#6 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:42 AM

I've got 60 ping to Euro server, 130-140 to American. Use both. When in US it's good to remember to aim a little bit ahead of the mech you're shooting at (like where you predict it will be in 1/4 of a second), but even when I forgot to check the server I hardly ever actually notice the difference.

I earned my ace of spades on Australian server (way more than 300 ping there), mostly because I took the delay into account when my enemies didn't (it was an event with rewards for playing on different servers, so everyone played everywhere). Don't use it anymore though, not comfortable, especially when you flank or peek in a light and you see an enemy turning towards you that probably means he's already shooting at you and you'll get receive that damage, even up to a second after you hide back... manageable but irritating.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

Pings of 400+ tend to be a bit wonky, requiring some patience and not jumping the gun when you first see the enemy; wait for them to slow down or stop then unload. Laser weapons become virtually unusable at that point.

If you do have excessive ping, I recommend LRMs and Streaks. Your ping won't matter so long as you can at least hold the lock.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

Also, for chunky systems, the Lrm response has proved an effective way to get some MWO in and convince folk to upgrade their systems. I can think of two folk I know, off hand, who enjoyed the game enough with lrms and horrid response times that they upgraded computers and moved on to direct fire weaponry.

~Leone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users