10 replies to this topic

#1 Rigiroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 350 posts
  • LocationValhala

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

Well, I decided to take another look at MWO on a whim, so I downloaded it and started it up to find it is miles ahead of what it was.

After a bit of asking, I learned that PGI ditched IGP and is now the soul owner and that is what I was lead to believe is the main reason for the improvements.

Anyway, a lot of the things feel similar. The main questions I have were concerning the clan mechs and general meta type stuff. I'm looking at picking up another set of mechs. I'm debaiting between the Origins 2C bundle for the hunchies (which after talking to a pilot, I'm pretty much sold on), the marauders, or the Kingcrab. I was curious how these mechs perform after properly outfitted.

How does the new faction system work?

Also, is their a way to change my IGN? I don't remember if they ever added that.

These are the questions that ale me...

Anyway, thanks for your time!

#2 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:56 PM

Well, as for the question on mechs, I'd gear it towards whichever faction you think you might want to play, especially if you intend to get into Community Warfare, since you are limited to IS mechs as an IS player, and Clan as Clan.

There are really strong mechs on either side, despite the clamoring that one or the other is "OP" that you see spring up. As for the mechs. I'm not too familiar with the Hunchie IIC, having not piloted mine yet, but the Marauder and King Crab are both excellent mechs.

At the moment, faction choice means very little, and you are able to faction hop freely for the cost of some c-bills, though this will be changing at some point in the future.

You can usually get a name change if you reach out to customer service, they're pretty helpful with it.

*Edited to add...P.S. Welcome Back! There are great members of this community, who are super helpful, so never be afraid to reach out to the forums with questions.

Edited by Rip Snorgan, 27 December 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

As far as I know, you can't change your name unless you have a very good reason to, i.e., used personally identifiable information, or something important like that. Worth an email regardless to be sure.

#4 Rigiroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 350 posts
  • LocationValhala

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. I already have a lot of IS mechs so I wanted to have at least one clan mech, but I couldn't really find anything that struck my fancy until I found the Hunch IIC. I'll probably by the crabs either way so it is really between getting the Marauder or the Hunchie and Jenner. I'm currently playing around in the mech lab trying to find builds I would like for those mechs.

On the note of clan mechs though, what are some good brawler/striker clan mechs aside from the timber wolf? I like it, but they are a dime a dozen and I would like to have a less common mech for tonnage needs in groups.

#5 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

Well, while I own all the Clan mechs, I honestly don't really play any of them, since I'm a bit of an IS/Davion loyalist/purist.

I can tell you that I'm loving the hell out of my Marauders though, and I know the IS Hunchy is one of the most solid mediums in the game, with a lot of loadout choices to choose from. Jenners have fallen somewhat out of fashion, and more often than not, IS light players are rolling Wolfhounds, Firestarters, Panthers, or Ravens.

*Edited to add, this isn't to say that Jenners aren't worth a look. I still see some show up, and they can have a pretty good impact when piloted well.

Edited by Rip Snorgan, 27 December 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:35 PM

Clan brawler/striker mechs? Hmm, let me see...

Storm Crow kicks much tail. Try out the SCR trial mech. That's more a laser-brawler type. SCR is VICIOUS with SSRM-6s, though. OR ASRM-6s for straight-up murdering much heavier mechs.

The HBK-IIC mechs are alright for the STRIKER thing, but they can't stay in the fight TOO long. Remember the IS HBK's squishy side torso? Clan HBK-IIC gets that on BOTH sides, now. LOTS of heavy weapon loads it can carry, but not the most survivable thing in game.

Honestly, EBJ is better as a ranged fire support thing, and Summoner is ... well, it's ... no, it just isn't ...

SHC and NVA have their ups and downs, but I wouldn't really recommend either for the role. I guess MDD isn't AWFUL (saw a dude put up a 1,440 DMG match in a MDD tonight). Less brawl, more strike and fade.

#7 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:31 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 27 December 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

As far as I know, you can't change your name unless you have a very good reason to, i.e., used personally identifiable information, or something important like that. Worth an email regardless to be sure.

In the german section someone wrote that changing the name was just a matter of an email to support and nothing more.

#8 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

NVA-Brawler

~Leone

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

View PostSteemship, on 27 December 2015 - 08:13 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply. I already have a lot of IS mechs so I wanted to have at least one clan mech, but I couldn't really find anything that struck my fancy until I found the Hunch IIC. I'll probably by the crabs either way so it is really between getting the Marauder or the Hunchie and Jenner. I'm currently playing around in the mech lab trying to find builds I would like for those mechs.

On the note of clan mechs though, what are some good brawler/striker clan mechs aside from the timber wolf? I like it, but they are a dime a dozen and I would like to have a less common mech for tonnage needs in groups.

I have not yet clicked with the HBK-IIC which is strange because I love the IS hunchie (it is probably just a matter of finding the right loadouts for it), however the Jenner IIC and Marauder are both in my top 5 best Mechs in the game (from someone with about 180 Mechs).

The Jenner IIC is a serious competitor for best Light Mech, the other competitors are Firestarter and Arctic Cheetah.

the Marauder I am finding competitive with the Timber Wolf, widely considered the best Mech in the game, I run it with a STD 350 engine and an all energy loadout, but if you are good at twisting to spread damage you can get away with an XL for more tonnage to take ballistics, or if you are not addicted to moving 75+ you could settle for a smaller standard engine.

check them out on http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab to see what you can do with them

#10 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:12 AM

I have not tried the Jenner IIC but I'll take Rogue's opinion on it seriously. As for normal Jenners, I can definitely say they are still quite fashionable, if just in a smaller circle of us, but I regularly put up solid performances in Oxide and the F. She's definitely a niche chassis but worth a look. ;)

#11 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostSteemship, on 27 December 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

Well, I decided to take another look at MWO on a whim, so I downloaded it and started it up to find it is miles ahead of what it was.

After a bit of asking, I learned that PGI ditched IGP and is now the soul owner and that is what I was lead to believe is the main reason for the improvements.

Anyway, a lot of the things feel similar. The main questions I have were concerning the clan mechs and general meta type stuff. I'm looking at picking up another set of mechs. I'm debaiting between the Origins 2C bundle for the hunchies (which after talking to a pilot, I'm pretty much sold on), the marauders, or the Kingcrab. I was curious how these mechs perform after properly outfitted.

How does the new faction system work?

Also, is their a way to change my IGN? I don't remember if they ever added that.

These are the questions that ale me...

Anyway, thanks for your time!

IGP went bankrupt, thats why PGI has sole custody of MWO and why the game has gotten so much better (but it certainly has taken time for the changes to make its way to the players).

I dont own the Origins bundle, but I know they are getting a lot of play and people really like the hunchback and jenner.

I personally really like the marauder bundle, The chassis is really solid and great for some creative builds. And you can run 3 of them in FW and still have some tonnage leftover for something else (if you are playing as inner sphere).

As for the king crab, I ******* love that mech. I want to make babies with that mech, thats how much I ******* love that mech. I have 4 king crabs [2x KGC-000 (L), 1x KGC-0000, 1x KGC-000B]. The KGC is one of the best mechs in the game for Dakka builds. It does everything an atlas can do, but better (except for ECM, but when your rolling with 2 AC 20's, or 4 AC/UAC5's) not much is going to stand in your way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users