- - - - -

Post Your Favorite Hero, Happy Boxing Day Sale!

21 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

I own a few heroes, But i must say, my favorite is the Jester. I just love catapults, and as the fastest, most maneuverable Heavy in the game, i just love it!

Load outs of 6 energy slots, A XL 350 engine for over 100 KPH, and JJ's this thing is a ton of fun. I personally run a bit slower with a BAP, and the dual AMS.. But stripped down it packs a punch, and is as fast, and more maneuverable than any clan heavy, or even the IS dragon.

(edit for build.. 2 LL, 4 MPL, BAP, dual AMS, 2 tons? Or is it 2 1/2, and XL-325, Range modules for both lasers, Range module for radar, and seismic.)

So guys, for all the new players, What is your favorite hero!.. The Bonus MC + 50% off, this is a great sale. Even 7 bucks can get you some sweet rides!

Edited by JC Daxion, 25 December 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#2 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

Oxide, by far. Recently re-emerged too thanks to the Threequirkening.

XL280, SRM16, 4.5-5 tons of ammo. <3. Oxide is best cide.

#3 Marduk2

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

Huugin and Misery. The former is a super-fast knife fighter with MG's and SRM4's able to easily assassinate enemy supports, or even some of the slower Assaults if you catch them alone and can circle-strafe well. The latter is heavily armed and an excellent mid-to-long-range DPS / tank with 4LL + Gauss.

#4 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

Sparky with 6xmpl and Misery with 3xLPL 1xAC10.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

FS9-E Ember Firestarter Hero Mech, by far my favorite Hero Mech, also one of my overall favorite and most successful Mechs, I own 2, one of which runs 4MG, 4SPL, XL295, the other is 4MG, 4 MPL with an XL280, but only 1 ton of MG ammo

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:32 PM

Honestly, JESTER. So far, anyhow. I never picked up the Oxide abomination, but may have to do so with this sale.

But the CPLT-J is really cool. The quirks are MEH, sure. The torsos support XL fairly well. With an XL295 or XL300, you can stuff a trio of large lasers or large pulse lasers into it, or two LL/LPL/PPC and a quartet of ML/MPL, WITH jump jets and fairly respectable speed for an IS heavy mech. Top damage grabber so far in IS drop deck (though I've done probably less than 25 IS CW drops, and my deck is weak).

Prior to the latest 'rebalance', the HBK-GI was monstrous, and I was about to buy one. FASTEST-FIRING Gauss platform in the game! You get dual-Gauss fire rate with one fewer Gauss. Well, almost. Vicious medium mech.

But I'm more excited for Champion mechs in this sale--TBR, SCR, and ACH champs are probably about to get bought by me. MO MONEY!

#7 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

Yen Lo Wang. Nothing can compare to a fast AC/20 Centurion! You are still a medium, which can make it hard to brawl (not much armor), but on 1vs1 encounters during battle, you can outmaneuver your heavier enemies and fast kill the lighter once with your AC/20.

#8 M0rdresh

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 25 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

Awesome "Pretty Baby" Posted Image

By far the most unique and iconic in my opinion.
If you have some C-Bills to burn very effective with 400 XL engine, full armor, 3x SRM6 + 3x Medium Pulse Laser.

#9 Spetulhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:49 PM

The ones I have are Oxide and Misery, and they're both fun depending on what I'm in the mood for. Posted Image

My Jenner Oxide runs a 300XL, 4 SRM4 and enough ammo as long as I don't get into some brawl where I'm shooting at a front side.

The Stalker Misery became a short-range brawler for some reason. It's got an LRM-15 to annoy people with, and once they're angry enough to move in for the kill it packs a LPL, 4 MPL and an AC/20. I usually don't run out of AC ammo - I'm either dead or there's no one to kill before using up 14 shots.

#10 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

View PostRaubwurst, on 25 December 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

Yen Lo Wang. Nothing can compare to a fast AC/20 Centurion! You are still a medium, which can make it hard to brawl (not much armor), but on 1vs1 encounters during battle, you can outmaneuver your heavier enemies and fast kill the lighter once with your AC/20.

The first and still the best Hero mech.

#11 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

what'd be some hero's to look into getting? I have Wang, Oxide and X-5.

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

Whilest I do not have it, I do respect the Huggin. My initial forays into the wonderful world of light piloting were along side a founder inna Huggin who taught me how to hunt assaults, sneak about with and without ecm and the fine art of light packing and assassinating.

I thing I do remember about the Huggin though, was that unlike the Firestarter, when the Huggin went in against an assault, the pilot was committed, they stayed in until one or the other was down. I remember this specifically because the pilot mentioned it while trying to decide if we two should take out a Daishi an a King Crab that got left behind. Some 70 tonnes up against 200.

Awww, now I wanna go run lights again.

~Leone.

#13 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:18 PM

The Ember is my favorite Hero mech, by far, but that's because Firestarters are my babies. They always have been, ever since I first played TT Battletech 20ish years ago, now. However, I just wish I could run it in the build it's meant to be run in . . . 4 Flamers and 4 MG's. I used to be able to make it work (with quite a bit of success, I should add), but the MG nerf from a flat 1 DPS to .8 DPS, as well as the still broken flamers, did a number on it. Also, with the clans there is now a greater emphasis on ranged combat on the battlefield (not knocking clans, just pointing out the change in game dynamics to very much favor weapon range above most else). It's in pseudo-retirement until Flamers are fixed (although I'd love to get those 1 DPS MG's back, as well).

I often look at it longingly in my mech lab, but I still knock off the dust and run it anyway as is, or break down and put the current meta Medium Lasers on it *grumbles about not getting a pyro fix*. Regardless, the Ember can still fight like a beast using 4 mediums and 4 MG's. Also, still don't underestimate MG's, even in their nerfed state. Yeah, it's true . . . the cone of fire might suck, but 3.2 DPS off 4 MG's with 0 heat is nothing to scoff at, and allows you to keep fighting when others are trying to cool down (especially when you're looking to run down an enemy light and rip their legs off).

As far as helping newer players choose heroes my experience with other heroes is limited to lights and mediums. I own all the other light heroes except the Oxide and have had immense amounts of fun with them. My first Hero ever was the Death's Knell. Now that is a fun ride to squirrel around in. On the medium front I own the Arrow, Sparky, and X-5. While the X-5 is certainly interesting (got it during the Halloween sale with the MC from recent events) I don't know how sold on it I am as far as possibly "loving" it. On the other hand, the Sparky is a lot of fun with a nice hardpoint layout. The symmetrical layout sells it for me, and can make it quite rugged with a STD engine . . . which the lack of ammo dependency lets it run a STD at a decent size, too. The Arrow is a blast for massive amounts of Dakka. MG's might not be in the greatest of state, currently, but letting rip with 6 of those on any mech with open internals lets you wreak havoc on your targets . . . internal components will just vanish.

Hopefully there are lots of satisfied customers out there with the really nice themed sale and event that PGI is putting on for the holidays. Oh, and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and all that stuff.

#14 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:27 PM

Quick question. i have 20K MC i'm wondering which mastery bundles to buy. I have the Jenner, Cicada and Quickdraws bundles.

#15 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,906 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

Though I know a lot are complaining about the nerf to the Huggin. I think it is still a fine mech and an excellent hero. Still, my favorite is the IV-4. 30% ballistics cool down, and armor quirks...makes this a tough, cool running, 60 ton gorilla. Now if PGI would re-scale it and let me get rid of that vascular paint job, it would be near perfect.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 26 December 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

Quick question. i have 20K MC i'm wondering which mastery bundles to buy. I have the Jenner, Cicada and Quickdraws bundles.

I need more information to make an informed recommendation,

do you want to try something completely different?
what features of the Jenner, Cicada and Quickdraw did you like?
what weight class?
any weapon class you want to use or to avoid?
do you want Jumpjets?
what sort of speed?

answer half those questions and I can probably offer an informed suggestion you should like

#17 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 25 December 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

I own a few heroes, But i must say, my favorite is the Jester. I just love catapults, and as the fastest, most maneuverable Heavy in the game, i just love it!

Load outs of 6 energy slots, A XL 350 engine for over 100 KPH, and JJ's this thing is a ton of fun. I personally run a bit slower with a BAP, and the dual AMS.. But stripped down it packs a punch, and is as fast, and more maneuverable than any clan heavy, or even the IS dragon.

(edit for build.. 2 LL, 4 MPL, BAP, dual AMS, 2 tons? Or is it 2 1/2, and XL-325, Range modules for both lasers, Range module for radar, and seismic.)

So guys, for all the new players, What is your favorite hero!.. The Bonus MC + 50% off, this is a great sale. Even 7 bucks can get you some sweet rides!

Me too. The Jester is still my favorite mech. And I run mine totally as it came from the Catapult mastery pack. All I did to change it was slightly up the front armor.

I also like the Dragon twins, Fang and Flame.

#18 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:06 AM

I might mention the Shadow Hawk Gray Death, it got possibly the best quirks of all SHD's in the rebalance. Runs AC10 and 4xML very well now. For some reason the Grey Death got better structure quirks than other Shadow Hawks, arguably making it a (very mild) case of "pay to win".

It's still no easy mode mech though, although a classic and super fun to run.

#19 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

Oxide for sure, love my lil' Jenny. Run the usual build, 300XL, 4xSRM4 and lots of ammo. Boom & Zoom all night in that thing. :)

#20 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:39 PM

My new favorite: MAD Bounty Hunter II. Old favorite: CTF-IM
Least favorite: Boar's Head.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users