Returning Player

6 replies to this topic

#1 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:37 PM

I used to enjoy MWO many months ago, but that was when groups where limited to up to four friends that dropped among the pick-up groups, or 12 friends that dropped in a separate queue against other 12-man groups.

I stopped dropping in a 12-man group, because I was a casual player and did not have the time to practice up to the level that I needed to be at to face the competitive 12-man teams that dominated the 12-man queue (you would be amazed at how quickly 0,1,2, or 3 to 12 losses it takes to stop dropping on the 12-man queue). Dropping solo was never much fun,for me. I do not want to play badly, I do not try to play badly, but I am not the best player.

I stopped playing when they separated the solo queue from the group queue and allowed groups of two to ten player groups and 12-man groups. I still was not having fun dropping solo, and the competitive players were now dominating the group queue. As the game stopped being fun, I stopped playing.

That was back in August.

have there been any changes that would make it worth my while to give it another go?

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:46 AM

There is now Community Warfare, which allows twelve folk to drop in four mechs a piece fighting over a base. You can join as a group or as a rag tag collection of individuals.

Honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't just drop in, and see how it goes.

~Leone.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:17 AM

the group queue can have groups of 2-10 or 12 players,

the solo queue can have solo players, CW can have any number of people drop together, 1-12.

it has been this way for more than a year.

Since PSR (player skill rating, everyone is assigned a level, 1 is highest, 5 is lowest new players go in at 5, experienced players were assigned a level based on the previous few months performance,heavily weighted towards damage but almost any activity you do affects it), and is grouped up with the same average level on each team) went in solo queue has seemed far fairer, but group queue seems more challenging, probably because I usualy group with higher level players.

I agree with Leone, give it a try, all you have to loose is time

#4 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

I am not sure that the queues have been that way for a year, as it would mean I was really stubborn about trying to enjoy the changes.

Community warfare paled on me as I was not very good at the prevailing meta at the time (despite the huge numbers of clan ECM, few IS players installed BAPs) so the only way to succeed in CW as an IS player was to be a superb brawler.

I did two solo drops in the missile boat from my drop deck, and did not do that badly. I was rated as a 4.

Thank you for the encouragement.

#5 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

Welcome back home RL.
We have your old quarters cleaned and ready for you. Lots of old faces would love to see you stepping off that dropship into the bright Asuncion sunlight.

See the colonel for a debriefing. Lots of things you might enjoy learning about.

Edited by Kjudoon, 26 December 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

I don't think it's changed MUCH, but that's just me. Adjustments to quirks have shifted things a little more back in favor of IS mechs, in some ways. In CW, especially, those have combined with drop deck tonnage limit disparities to really favor IS at the moment. Group queue seems to have LOTS of groups, though, and not a lot of full-on tryhard top-tier teams on an average evening, so that's cool. PUG drops are a bit weird at the moment, after the Steam release. That should sort itself out soon enough.

Like you, I took a break from MWO. Mine was roughly 16 months, though. I missed the Clan invasion, Community Warfare introduction, and major quirkening, and came back to a VERY different MWO landscape than I left. I'm still here now. Take that for what it's worth to you.

And WELCOME BACK, MECHWARRIOR!

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostRLBell, on 26 December 2015 - 10:13 AM, said:

I am not sure that the queues have been that way for a year, as it would mean I was really stubborn about trying to enjoy the changes.

on the 2nd of July 2014 the larger than 4 group sizes and group only queue were put in
http://mwomercs.com/...02-02-jul-2014/
groups of 2-4 were removed from solo queue less than a month later
https://www.reddit.c...er_in_the_solo/

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 26 December 2015 - 12:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users