5 replies to this topic

#1 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

Earlier today I encountered a former coworker for a now de-funct business where we often used cameras and high powered laser range finders for measuring distances. As a gamer, I have have known other gamers, and I know their real world identities, I also know who they are in game. To most of you, I am Kalimaster, one of a large assortment of players who from time to time challenges you during a Match here on MWO. I can assure you, that is not my real name, nor will I ever reveal my name to you here on MWO.

During a former employment, even though it was civilian, we used military terms to organize ourselves and position each other. When you use open air radios, as we did, it was a mainstay and policy of this business. I encountered said individual and used old order terms to co-attack the red team. This worked to good effect. However another player typed in "Reported".

Said reporting player, if in jest or for real was not part of the command structure being used by a select few individuals who know this code. This code speak has been used to good effect by said individuals during the time we worked together, although I am sorry to say that a quarter of my former Coworkers are now deceased, and two are cripples (one because he was not fast enough to dodge a car that landed on him during a traffic accident to which he was a bystander of). While I enjoyed working at said business venture while it lasted, it was hard treacherous work, and I would not recommend it to anyone.

If I know who a person is who plays MWO, I have no intention of telling everyone who they are. This is a private matter between us gamers who are friends and happen to know each other both in, and out of game.

#2 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

So... not quite sure about the part that is supposed to be a rant? Other than some clown said "Reported" (people say that for all sorts of silly reasons{just ignore them}). Then you kind of reminisced in a non ranting manner. Did the person you used to know out you or...? Because you kind of eluded the possibility without out right saying so.

#3 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:05 PM

Yeah give us an example of radio chatter

You don’t have to say what it means

#4 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

Davegt27, Yes I will answer this.

The original dialog was developed for use over citizen band radio or CB radios that were used by truckers, although for hands free walkie talkies or two way radios with a range of two and a half miles each.

Coded phases were used. One of the basics is or was Foxtrot Uniform Alpha, which means Formation Uniform Alpha. For us this would cause our group formation to become a square, with two men in front, two men in back, with a span of two meters between each man. Who ever had the camera would be on the right, with a laser technician on the left. Group leader back left, and the last was the poor sap who got to carry some of the heavier gear. You knew who was where and didn't have to second guess or look for someone.
When you are exploring an old building, or an unknown area with who knew what where, it helped.

#5 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

The original language was adopted for use over citizens band radio. Seeing as your use of Foxtrot Uniform Alpha as a formation call was highly localized, specifically to the crews you worked with. I would say its safe to assume the person declaring you reported (whether of not they followed through), may have felt you were using some alternative uses that share the same abbreviation and carry more negative connotations.

#6 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

Sounds pretty cool

But like in the military any coded messages actually draws more attention then plain language

So that’s what happened

You know it’s nothing to report so just ignore him

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users