5 replies to this topic

#1 Quick209

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

Hey All,

Finally getting into this new MWO. I am from the old DOS MW days up to I think I have MW4 somewhere around here that does play on my new system. :-(

Back in the day I used to make funny makes but actually served purposes in the different MW versions. I had a knockdown mech for I think MW2 or 3 where you could topple mechs.

My favorite was my line of heat mechs which were purely tactical. Alone they were sitting ducks or atleast gave some time to run. Issue is back in the day heat did more than shut down a mech. In the old MW days heat could cause ammo to explode and sometimes take out mechs without cases. Also, some weapons outside the flamer and heat based SRMs could produce heat on enemy mechs too like the PPC though not as high as the flamer or other role based heat weapons.

So, question I have is does generating heat on an enemy mech serve any other purpose than just working as a stun (shutting down mech) to temporarily disable a mech and do other weapons generate any ambient heat on enemy mechs?

#2 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

The only way to heat opposing mechs is from flamers, which don't work very well. I think I've seen video of a flamer kill, but it was done for laughs.

Until they get reworked flamers aren't a viable strategy except for maybe causing vision problems in mechs they are fired on.

#3 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

Running hot has no impact on your mech which is a real shame.

Add heat pentalities to running hot and some of the balancing issues disappear appear.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 26 December 2015 - 05:18 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostQuick209, on 26 December 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

So, question I have is does generating heat on an enemy mech serve any other purpose than just working as a stun (shutting down mech) to temporarily disable a mech and do other weapons generate any ambient heat on enemy mechs?

Heat stuns.

Heat in excess of 100% can cause internal structure damage to random body parts. Extreme heat (around 150 to 500%) will cause severe CT damage and sometimes instant death. Intensely extreme heat (in excess of 2,000%)....might kill you, if it feels like it. No seriously it's pretty wonky about "getting around to it", but if you hit 4,000% threshold you die instantly.

(What constitutes 100% depends on the heatsink number; it's a rising threshold in MWO -- something that has never existed in any battletech or MW game...and I personally feel it is the cause of many problems. Not only does your cooling rise, so does the maximum amount of heat you can withstand at any one instant).

#5 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

Reduced max speed
Slower turn radius.
Longer reload/recharge cycles on weapons.
Weapon failures till heat is reduced.
Impaired sensors.

Ammo explosions are a possibility but it might drive people towards all laser builds.

#6 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 26 December 2015 - 05:43 PM, said:

Reduced max speed
Slower turn radius.
Longer reload/recharge cycles on weapons.
Weapon failures till heat is reduced.
Impaired sensors.

Ammo explosions are a possibility but it might drive people towards all laser builds.

The only one on this list that might apply to MWO is the last. All others do not apply. . . sadly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users