- - - - -

Ebon Jaguar Vs Timberwolf - Bad Balance

62 replies to this topic

#41 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

I recently ran across the manual for the Tornado IBM Flight manual, 330+ pages....

#42 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 27 December 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

So, for the folks with a FORMAL education, nay, BACHELOR DEGREE in this field? Go flip burgers, yo, and good luck repaying student loans on Burger King wages--you're not qualified for anything else!

Same situation here. Have a degree, can't get a job because I don't have "minimum 4-6 years on job experience". Oh, and just to rub it in, years of schooling doesn't count for that. Still working the same job I was working when I was in college, because there isn't any jobs I can find in my field. Near minimum wage, here I stay! With -$200-300 a month to add to it! Posted Image

#43 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 27 December 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

My bad, Jaguar doesn't have a lot of quirks, Summoner does. But still EJ is at least on par with TW, being 10 tonns lighter. Very wierd balance, to say the least.

I'm right now trying to build a 3 C-UAC5 Timberwolf, and getting something like this: 422 armor, 81 Km/h, 2 jump jets, 26.5 tonns load.

And I have EJ: 422 armor, 81 Km/h, 28.5 tonns load.

I mean, really. The first one is 75 tonn mech and the second is 65 tonn one. It's just ******* stupid.

Kashadoo you can't run the same build on two different mechs. You have to build the timby to its strength.

I still run my timby Prime with gauss and 2x erppc. you can run that on an Ebon jag but it won't be as effective. On the timby that build is just about the most versatile and fightable build around.

#44 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostTesunie, on 27 December 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Same situation here. Have a degree, can't get a job because I don't have "minimum 4-6 years on job experience". Oh, and just to rub it in, years of schooling doesn't count for that. Still working the same job I was working when I was in college, because there isn't any jobs I can find in my field. Near minimum wage, here I stay! With -$200-300 a month to add to it! Posted Image

LOL. I'm repaying my grad school loan (didn't finish, for family reasons) on a low-teens wage job, AT A UNIVERSITY (the one that awarded my BA degree a few years ago). Pain, homes. I feels it.

#45 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 27 December 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

Kashadoo you can't run the same build on two different mechs. You have to build the timby to its strength.

I still run my timby Prime with gauss and 2x erppc. you can run that on an Ebon jag but it won't be as effective. On the timby that build is just about the most versatile and fightable build around.

O RLY? Turns out, it's a little more heat-efficient on the TBR. Also turns out, it's all high-mounted hill-humpin' on the EBJ. Kind of a six-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other thing. Go with the TBR-S CT, for the JJ, and lose TCompI or a ton of ammo or something. TBR-S RT omni doesn't have room for Gauss, and any LT omni other than TBR-A loses those high mounts for the ERPPCs. That TBR-A Omni, BTW, incurs a small cooldown penalty on the ERPPCs, and on the mech's acceleration, deceleration, and reverse speed. Oh, and laser duration for the ERSL (only included to be fair to the EBJ, which needs a third E weapon to bump the ERPPCs into the two high mounts). BUT AGAIN, to Jiggles's defense, I say that the additional survivability of the TBR outweighs (see what I did there?) any relative advantage of the EBJ in the big picture. SITUATIONALLY, that EBJ build might be better. OVERALL, though, I'll take Mister Jiggles and his fabulous TBR sniper.

#46 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 27 December 2015 - 05:56 AM, said:

Man, it's a 10 tonn heavier mech which has 10 tonn heavier engine. So you think it's ok?

Yes!

Thats how it works, that is the mech. There are no other Clan mechs that have different engines just because you say so?

Why is this even a convo, you cant change clan mech engines. END OF STORY.

Deal with it, TBR is still one of the best mechs in the game hands down.

View PostKshahdoo, on 27 December 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

Lol, great benefit. You have the whole lot 44 armor more. And a few jump jets. For the expense of 3-7 tonn less load. I mean, TW has 10% more armor and 20-25% less firepower. Of course, it's a great trade, which every mech pilot would do.

Oh, I've forgotten about quirks, which EJ has like 10 times more (I mean positive ones). Or million times, because TW doesn't have any positive quirks at all.

Have you been under a rock? TBR was hands down best mech in the game before they balanced the pods a bit, this tonned it down to a manageble NOT OP level to begin with. Like locked JJ's to stop certain builds and such...

Please review patch notes...

#47 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 27 December 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

My bad, Jaguar doesn't have a lot of quirks, Summoner does. But still EJ is at least on par with TW, being 10 tonns lighter. Very wierd balance, to say the least.

I'm right now trying to build a 3 C-UAC5 Timberwolf, and getting something like this: 422 armor, 81 Km/h, 2 jump jets, 26.5 tonns load.

And I have EJ: 422 armor, 81 Km/h, 28.5 tonns load.

I mean, really. The first one is 75 tonn mech and the second is 65 tonn one. It's just ******* stupid.

Its not stupid at all, TBR had better hit boxes, better mobility in more then just the JJ's and is a HEAVY mech with HEAVY armor and only about 5-7% less firepower them most EBJ manageable and viable builds....that stat is way out of proportion.

You are just looking at the stats we have no on the screen, the game is more then just mechs on a screen.

and yes a 65 ton mech need to be close to on par with a 75 tonner, other wise whats the point of 65 tonner? Should it be able to tank multiple assault mechs, no but its should be careful when facing something 10 tons heavier. I mean have you ever piloted a light other then the ACH? Anything 10 tons and more is possibly death if you dont have your wits about you when you engage and try to constantly keep the odds in your favor.

#48 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

I've decided after a hard day of work at work then work at the other house (which I hope to make into a home).... I'm gonna sit down, grab some popcorn that the girlfriend bought for us, drink some Dr. Pepper (product placement!), and watch as Timber Wolves and Ebon Jaguars duke it out in tabletop with computer versus computer.

....Results will be posted here. The one versus ones will be in total wins for each side with highlights from one (or more) should cool stuff happen. Then, will try to balance their "ratings" to see how many of each it would require to have an "Even" playing field between the two.

Granted this won't mean jack in MWO.

Side note: Stock battle!
Stock Timber Wolf (75 tons) versus Stock Thunderbolt.

Music starts when the "go" is given for this one versus one 2 minutes in.
Scenario: A city is defended by a single Marik Thunderbolt (Mariks are known for having the highest technology in the Inner Sphere, as they never really got into the centuries of wars that transpired between the other houses and wiped the technology the other houses had out). A lone Clan Freebirth plans to take this city in order to regain his honor.

75 ton Timber Wolf and 65 ton Hellbringer versus two Summoners (All stock!)

Scenario: (we didn't act it out but it's the scenario), a Batchal (Battle Challenge) has been issued between Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf. The two Clans bid 140 tons. Jade Falcon bid two Summoners, their pride and the first Omnimech to ever exist. Clan Wolf bid its Omni-mech of choice, the Timber Wolf, and a Hellbringer (which is a massive weapons platform with crap for armor; it's so outmashed that it dies off screen after appearing for maybe 15 seconds). (Yet this is one of the most meta mechs in MWO).

Enjoy!

Edited by Koniving, 27 December 2015 - 02:45 PM.

#49 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 27 December 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

That signature looks like "All Systems Nominal."

Where's the animation? Can I see? Are there new episodes?

#50 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 27 December 2015 - 02:18 PM, said:

OVERALL, though, I'll take Mister Jiggles and his fabulous TBR sniper.

Always bet on Jiggles :D

#51 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:39 PM

View PostKoniving, on 27 December 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

I've decided after a hard day of work at work then work at the other house (which I hope to make into a home).... I'm gonna sit down, grab some popcorn that the girlfriend bought for us, drink some Dr. Pepper (product placement!), and watch as Timber Wolves and Ebon Jaguars duke it out in tabletop with computer versus computer.

....Results will be posted here. The one versus ones will be in total wins for each side with highlights from one (or more) should cool stuff happen. Then, will try to balance their "ratings" to see how many of each it would require to have an "Even" playing field between the two.

Granted this won't mean jack in MWO.

Remember: None of this means anything in MWO.
Battletech Timber Wolf versus Ebon Jaguar.

And so the results:

All simulations below have been conducted with the following unofficial rules to simulate real time: Simultaineous movement phase. Simultaineous firing phase. Every match was played on a different map with maps randomly selected with an increase in map sizes every 5 maps. All pilots skills are set to 3/4 , though some scenarios accidentally had all pilots as 4/4.

One versus one:
Out of 50 battles, 42 victories for Timber Wolf, 5 undecided (glitched/bugged out / AI freezes, but in all 5 it appears Timber Wolf was winning), and 3 victories by default (Jaguar fled battlefield; once by accident [knocked down and skid] and twice intentionally fled [pilot fatigue high and self preservation).

Note: 0 instances in which the Ebon Jaguar had victory or was even 'close' to winning. (This surprised me, but evidently without human intelligence behind the Ebon Jaguar's moves, it doesn't stand any chance at all against a Timber Wolf. Open fields, urban cover, canyons, in the water, the Ebon Jaguar to my surprise has no chance at all in traditional combat. This may have been different using the UAC/20 config of the Ebon Jaguar but its prime had no chance.)

After the two flees, I fixed self preservation so that they were completely prepared to fight to the death.

Shortest victory: Within 10 seconds [first turn] (victory Timber Wolf), cause: Headshot.

First few victories.
Spoiler

Spoiler

All 1vs1 matches were using Prime Configurations (variants).

After several group matches of 2 Timber Wolves versus 4 Ebon Jaguars with delayed entry (Timber Wolf versus Ebon Jaguar, wait 60 seconds for 2nd Jag, wait another 60 seconds for 3rd Jag, wait another 60 seconds for 4th Jag, wait another 10 seconds for 2nd Timber Wolf [Note: Idea is that the Jags could 'gang up' on the 2nd TBR if the 1st was destroyed). But it was pretty clear the 2 Timber Wolves outclassed the Ebon Jags by a landslide.

This is noteworthy from that:
In one case, there was a Dubbya Tee Eff ending.
Spoiler

For this one I forgot to set self-preservation to 0, an Ebon Jag and a Timber Wolf both made retreats, but it was 4 on 1 and they all appeared at once.

So I did 25 matches of 1 TBR versus 4 Ebon Jags on 60 second delays between each.
Ebon Jaguars Prime, Alpha ( A ), Beta ( B ), and Gamma ( C ) were used. Timber Wolf S was also used.

Three of those 25 had all the Jags spawn at once (and didn't always win).
Of the 25 matches, Jags won three times. 25 matches, 1 TBR versus 4 Ebon Jags, and the Jags won 3 times. (One of those victories, the Timber Wolf killed itself by leaping off a building and landing on its cockpit after acquiring 1 kill.) Timber Wolf won 19 times by landslide. One partial victory awarded to TBR by default (3 1/3rd minutes allotted; removed timer after that battle).

Victory by default here.
Spoiler

That pilot ejected from a heavily damaged Ebon Jaguar with cockpit damage, landing in heavy woods. The pod made two 'landings', the first delivering 3 damage, likely breaking several bones and causing severe internal hemorrhaging. and the 2nd delivering the final 2 damage [pilots have 5 HP] which killed him.

A match where all Jags deployed at once.
Spoiler

The only epic victory by the Jaguars (didn't spawn at same time but won anyway).
Spoiler

Timber Wolf messed up on entering water and fell. Later, he slipped and fell again while in light woods where he blacked out with damage to the cockpit. Multiple internal ammunition explosions causes concussive blunt-force injuries to the pilot, effectively killing him when he hit his head inside the cockpit after losing consciousness.

The remaining 2 bugged out. Of the two that bugged out, in one there was no clear winner (bugged near beginning). In the other, well it's below.
Three of four enemy Ebon Jaguars destroyed.
Timber Wolf still in good shape.
TBR and Jaguar final health at time of bug.
Posted Image
Positions.
Posted Image
Neither pilot was willing to make the first move. Finally, the Jaguar AI crashed (as it still had a 'mechwarrior' pilot to control in addition to the Ebon Jaguar, said pilot was hiding in the building nearby). With 3 of 4 Jaguars dead, I awarded this one to the Timber Wolf.

Thus:
25 matches 1 Timber Wolf versus 4 Ebon Jaguars:
19 clear victories, Timber Wolf.
2 bug-outs, 1 of which is a draw and the other goes to the Timber Wolf for 3/4 kills and still in good condition.
3 victories for the Ebon Jaguars.
1 "times up" in favor of the Timber Wolf.

In summary:
1 Timber Wolf versus 4 Ebon Jaguars:
19 victories TBR.
2 victory by defaults (scenarios times up with kills and 3/4 kills) for the Timber Wolf.
1 inconclusive draw
3 victories for Ebon Jaguar.

That's:
21 victories TBR.
3 victories Ebon Jaguar(s).
1 draw.

Again: These were Battletech Sims using two AIs with simultaineous turns in Megamek. Not MWO tests.
In the source material, Ebon Jaguar's a joke compared to Timber Wolf.

(An edit to fix 'summory' to summary.... sigh.)

Edited by Koniving, 28 December 2015 - 12:27 AM.

#52 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:45 AM

So in the one time they had an epic win... I think it's pretty obvious that the Ebon Jaguars were tired of losing. I point at these excerpts:

Battle Transcript said:

SRM 6 at Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf); needs 8, rolls 11 : - Direct Blow - 4 missile(s) hit (w/ +2 bonus).

Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 2 damage to CT.
10 Armor remaining.

Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 2 damage to RA.
6 Internal Structure remaining.
Critical hit on RA. Roll is (10+1) = 11; 2 locations.
CRITICAL HIT on SRM 6 Ammo (15).
*** SRM 6 Ammo EXPLODES! 180 DAMAGE! ***
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 180 damage to RA.
SECTION DESTROYED.
remaining 174 damage prevented by CASE.
Critical hit on RA. Roll is (8+4) = 12; 2 locations.
CRITICAL HIT on Lower Arm.
CRITICAL HIT on SRM 6 Ammo (15).
*** SRM 6 Ammo EXPLODES! 180 DAMAGE! ***
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 180 damage to RA.
remaining 180 damage prevented by CASE.

Pilot of Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) "John" takes 2 damage.
Pilot of Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) "John" needs a 10 to stay conscious. Rolls 9 : blacks out.

Pilot of Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) "John" takes 2 damage.
*** Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) DESTROYED by pilot death! ***

Battle Transcript said:

LRM 15 at Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf); needs 8, rolls 11 : - Direct Blow - 12 missile(s) hit (w/ +2 bonus).

Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 5 damage to HD.
SECTION DESTROYED.
Critical hit on HD. Roll is (6+1) = 7; no effect.

Pilot of Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) "John" is already dead, so no damage is dealt!

Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 5 damage to LL.
20 Armor remaining.

Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 2 damage to LA.
11 Armor remaining.

Battle Transcript said:

Medium Pulse Laser at Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf); needs 6, rolls 10 : - Direct Blow - hits (using Left Side table) LT (critical)
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 8 damage to LT (critical).
Armor destroyed.
9 Internal Structure remaining.
Critical hit on LT. Roll is (9+2) = 11; 2 locations.
CRITICAL HIT on Half Machine Gun Ammo (94).
*** Half Machine Gun Ammo EXPLODES! 188 DAMAGE! ***
Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) takes 188 damage to LT.
SECTION DESTROYED.
LIMB BLOWN OFF Left Arm blown off.
remaining 179 damage prevented by CASE.
Critical hit on LT. Roll is (11+4) = 15; 3 locations.
CRITICAL HIT on Jump Jet.
CRITICAL HIT on Engine.
CRITICAL HIT on +Machine Gun.

Pilot of Mad Cat (Timber Wolf) S (Wolf) "John" is already dead, so no damage is dealt!
Location has no more hittable critical slots.
Critical hit on LT. Roll is (10+2) = 12; 2 locations.
Location has no more hittable critical slots.

In the final 10 seconds, three Ebon Jaguars launch attacks.
  • The first hit an arm with his SRMs, destroying 2 tons of ammunition, the violent tremors surging through the mech as the arm explodes knock the Timber Wolf pilot out and kills him (I should note that earlier, he tripped falling downhill while backing away in heavy woods where the collision broke open the cockpit's armor, so there was no armor left and he was exposed to air, thus even debris or part of the ammo explosion itself could have killed him. Since tabletop is a summary of events and not the tiny details or the written law, we honestly don't know exactly how it happened, just that it happened when his ammo exploded in the Timber Wolf's arm.)
  • The second hit came from an LRM-15, where exactly 5 missiles hit the HD section, destroying it. The cockpit is now completely obliterated.
  • The third hit came from a medium pulse laser to the left torso, where the remaining armor melted and the beam managed to hit a store of half-ton machine gun ammunition. It detonates. Left torso and left arm are both blown off. The rattle of this explosion would have wounded the pilot, but he's 1) already dead and 2) the entire cockpit including the pilot's corpse have been utterly destroyed in a hellfire of LRMs.
They really wanted that Timber Wolf dead, and I can't blame them.

72 times out of 75 getting losses, 'bugged out' or draws, the Ebon Jaguars really wanted to get their one fair victory to really sink in. (If you call 4 Ebon Jaguars versus 1 Timber Wolf to be fair, but hey even then they usually lost).

Posted Image Battletech is awesome.

(Mkay; I'm done and technically it was on topic! ~ next I suppose I'll get someone to volunteer an Ebon Jaguar to take on my 777 Timber Wolf for an MWO comparison to see if the balance is 'closer' in MWO, since in Battletech the Timber Wolf is vastly superior.)

Edited by Koniving, 28 December 2015 - 05:49 AM.

#53 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

So, hes saying we have bad balance because because a 10 ton heavier mech doesn't completely invalidate the lighter one?

I thought that was balance? Ya know,trying to reduce of tonnage creep from the previous games?

Edited by Roughneck45, 28 December 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#54 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 28 December 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

So, hes saying we have bad balance because because a 10 ton heavier mech doesn't completely invalidate the lighter one?

I thought that was balance? Ya know,trying to reduce of tonnage creep from the previous games?

That was the jist of what I read before I was like "Well, how far apart are they really in BT?"

Anyways one should think that would be the point of balance. At least in the sense of each side having only an equal number of players, a clear advantage shouldn't go to heavier or lighter tonnages. Some advantage, but some ability to ward it off too.

#55 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 December 2015 - 04:27 PM, said:

That was the jist of what I read before I was like "Well, how far apart are they really in BT?"

Anyways one should think that would be the point of balance. At least in the sense of each side having only an equal number of players, a clear advantage shouldn't go to heavier or lighter tonnages. Some advantage, but some ability to ward it off too.

Yeah, exactly. Sure, a TBR has a lot more weight, armor, structure, weapons, and heat sinks, than does an ACH. On the other hand, the ACH has more speed, SMALLER size, and higher jumping capability, AND it can carry ECM. It shouldn't be that one will ALWAYS be better than the other for virtually all players, but rather, that each has its own unique pros and cons, and it is up to the players to find what suits them best. Second or maybe third mech I ever killed in my ACHs was a DWF. Came down to him and me, on the new Forest Colony, with both of us suffering a bit from CT damage, but with most of our weapons still intact. Now, if it were the case that simple tonnage should make a mech better, then that whale, weighing 3.3+ times as much as my ACH, should have handily crushed my little toy mech. That's not the way it went, though, and it was a good illustration of how the pilot more comfortable in his mech is going to be the winner more often than not, regardless of tonnage and meta-compliance.

Those TBRs and EBJs the OP talks about, they MAY have very similar (almost the same, but not quite) loadout options, but if you feel more comfortable in the EBJ for whatever reason, you'll probably be able to keep a high KDR against TBRs in them. And vice-versa.

#56 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 27 December 2015 - 05:20 AM, said:

I don't mean just EJ, I mean EJ/TW balance.

They aren't balanced perfectly against each other... why would they be? They're different chassis of different weights, Not sure what exactly you're complaining about here...

#57 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostRagingOyster, on 28 December 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

They aren't balanced perfectly against each other... why would they be? They're different chassis of different weights, Not sure what exactly you're complaining about here...

The original complaint was that the EBJ is almost as good as (or in the OP's eyes, superior to) the TBR. 65 tons being better than 75 tons, so to speak.

Edited by Koniving, 28 December 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#58 RagingOyster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 December 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

The original complaint was that the EBJ is almost as good as (or in the OP's eyes, superior to) the TBR. 65 tons being better than 75 tons, so to speak.

I see now. It was so poorly-worded I didn't understand what his gripe was lol

Cheers

#59 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:56 PM

View PostRagingOyster, on 28 December 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

he's complaining that TRB doesn't outclass ebj in loadout even though its 10 tons heavier.

the thing is if that were the case no one would buy ebjs.

the point of a tbr is to have a clan heavy chassis with JJ vs a good mobile gun platform that is the ebj. the ebj is really like the clan version of a jagers, whereas the closest is equivalent to a timby is a Victor.

so why is the timby so good? well the most obvious reason is the mobility that you get from the JJ and top speed. you can reposition the timby more easily than ebj, and find more favorable firing positions even though your hard points aren't as good.

you can do both recon and attack. also, being near assault like in tankiness, you can be more daring and aggressive in your attacks.

finally, the better heat dissipation allows you to shoot more often.

now for a while when lasers were meta I found myself giving up some of these advantages for medium range alpha.

but, recently I've switch back to the lower firepower gauss erppc for two reasons

1. the hit registration for lasers seem heavily subject to RNG.

2. the reduced heat capacity and lower max range of clan er med lasers have slowed the pace of the offensive push and lowered the effective range of laser boats, meaning that I can take my ppc gauss sniper and find range and terrain where I can trade damage very favorably again. JJs don't necessarily allow me to jump snipe, but they do make getting in and out of those positions much easier, so I can play my timby to significant advantage.

3. also now the greater heat dissipation with the latest round of re-balancing really helps to keep up a sufficient firing rate with my er-ppcs.

not to say one can't use ebj well, but its harder to use it well the way I use my Timberwolves. so, you have different viable play styles enabled by these different mechs, which is what balance and diversity is all about.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 28 December 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#60 Kotev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

Wow dudes, respect for the technical stuff but i think you totally lost the OP. He need more exp. to learn that every mech has pros and cons and all depends on pilot skill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users