#1 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

I own 3 variants of Stormcrow.

GXP is not an issue. CB is.

So now should I buy a new mech (Arctic Cheetah) or radar deprivation module first ?

Edited by Goritude, 27 December 2015 - 08:13 AM.

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

You would be amazed how effective radar deprivation is on a light. But the Cheetah has an ECM variant, so it does not need the radar dep mod.

#3 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

I was thinking radar deprivation for my Stormcrows. I was told radar deprivation is the first pilot module to acquire.

#4 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

I don't run radar dep on lights most of the time.. hill climb on mechs with out JJ's, Info gathering for pin-point, 360 targetting for short ranged brawlers, Seismic is also much more useful, pause at a corner to see if the coast is clear...

Lights should easily get out of danger.. though some like to argue that lights can drop of radar right away, then change direction, but for me, 1.5 secs is just not worth it..

Slower mechs are the only ones i run radar dep on...

For you, i'd take the cheeta

#5 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

I feel the prices on a number of things really need to be adjusted to fit a gaming audience that is not all "BattleTech fans who will pay anything to play the BT franchise".

There is a ton of competition for our gaming dollar and 'grind-time' out there, and making a basic module such as Radar Deprivation cost the same as a very-capable IS Heavy mech is just silly. Especially when, if you are going to try out CW you really need FOUR of them... that doubles the cost of your drop-deck!

Modules really need to be in the 1mill-3mill range, not the cost of an entire mech. (Alternatively, you can look at a 6 mill module as costing you the payout from 50-60 matches)

For the OP: You can buy 1 radar deprivation module, and swap it between mechs as you play them. So if you are playing your Crows a lot, 1 Radar Dep to swap between them can save you a lot of LRM hassle.

If you *aren't* being bothered much by LRMs, then you don't really need it. Also keep in mind that, although for now GXP isn't the issue, C-Bills are; in the near future you may find the other issue is 'you used up all your mechbays'. At that point, a new module may make more sense than saving for another 'mech.

#6 schlagetot

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:37 AM

The module you really want to get first is (Advanced) Seismic Sensor with its minimap blip radar.
Must have feature, NEVER go without.

2nd (usually) the "Master" module slot is for Radar Derp, or Advanced Zoom / Advanced Target Decay on snipers and lurmers respectively.

#7 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

Its really up to you.

Radar dep. is a fantastic investment and worth taking just about 100% of the time. You can't go wrong making the purchase.

If you only have Stormcrows and are growing bored of them get the Cheetah. Having radar dep won't matter if you aren't having fun using your mech.

#8 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

View Postschlagetot, on 27 December 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

The module you really want to get first is (Advanced) Seismic Sensor with its minimap blip radar.
Must have feature, NEVER go without.

This. If you absolutely want to buy a module, go for Seismic sensor.

But in my opinion, buy mechs first. Make yourself a diverse garage, before worrying about modules, which are kind of "endgame" stuff.

Edited by epikt, 27 December 2015 - 11:43 AM.

#9 MavRCK

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

Build your mech stable first - then get modules. Getting elite and masteries on mechs is more important than a module. x2 basics after completely elite masteries completely changes the feel of a mech and makes it go from okay to over-powered.

Edited by MavRCK, 27 December 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#10 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

The Cheetah is very fun and still meta. Much better use of funds in my opinion.

#11 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

This one is a no brainer. Radar derp, 100%

You may or may not like the cheetah, bit you can take the radar derp out for use on every single none ecm mech from now on. It is vital when enemy lrms are in play.

I would in fact take it before i get seismic. You can compensate for seismic with good awareness and comms. Much harder to compensate for stealth. On some of my timbers i take radar derp and target info acquisition module. Dont even miss the seismic that often.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

unless you are after building a dropdeck for competitive play (in which case getting every Mech as good as possible is vital) I personally would get the ACH, over a module.

If the choice is a Mech or a module I would always go Mech

#13 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 27 December 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

unless you are after building a dropdeck for competitive play (in which case getting every Mech as good as possible is vital) I personally would get the ACH, over a module.

If the choice is a Mech or a module I would always go Mech

I'd agree for every module EXCEPT radar derp. This module changes solo queue gameplay completely. They reduce lrms from a primary concern to something that's largely manageable unless you make a tactical mistake. It also masks your exact position so people can't pre-aim. You will be able to play much more aggressively.

Also you just need 1 for all of your mechs since you can switch it between matches.

#14 Top Leliel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:02 PM

I'd buy the mech if I were you, so you could have more variety in what you play.

#15 Kurvi

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

If you are going to get both eventually, I would recommend to do the module first. After all, the bottleneck for you is grinding the c-bills, so ask yourself if you can grind the ~30 million faster using an "improved" Stormcrow or unskilled (yet) Cheetahs. If you just want/need the "Cheetah Experience" while doing the grind, simply use the trial version while saving up. The XP you get will transfer (assuming you get the same model).

I would though echo the people above that the Cheetah ECM makes Radar Dep a little less important.

#16 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:37 AM

So many answers ! This community is really helpful.

I see both options have good points.

I'll decide later cuz I only have 3 million CB right now.

I may also buy a pack on Steam (Light or Heavy) if I can get a 50% discount.

#17 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

Radar Derp if you have the GXP to unlock it. Critical module in so many ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users