Knock It Off, Armchair Generals

43 replies to this topic

#1 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:09 PM

Seriously, what's with trying to dictate people's playstyles in a PUG?

If other players don't want to lock targets for you, than its their choice. Don't whine about it. From their perspective, you're also ruining their game by playing a subpar mech and having subpar skill until you're dependent on other players to get locks.

Likewise, don't whine about people playing LRM boats either. Its their freaking choice. Just as its your own choice not to get locks for them. If the team loses, than it loses. You can blame each other but the simple truth is that it is everyone's fault. Yes, EVERYONE. From players who won't get locks (actually understandable in the current meta) to those play a mech that is dependent on locks.

You want teamwork, go find a team and get into a group game.

If you're going to play in a PUG, than enjoy the chaos of PUGs - win or lose. Pick a mech that is more flexible and not depedent on others. If you must pick a 1-dimensional build, don't complain about the consequences. Its as much your own fault as it is the team.

Sheesh.

#2 PerfectDuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 328 posts
  • LocationLenexa, KS

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

Was this meant for http://mwomercs.com/...your-own-locks/ this thread? Didn't want your opinion to get lost under pages and pages of TLDR and everybody saying the same thing?

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:16 PM

I'm not one to whine about PUGLife, but even in PUGLife, the team that works together better, wins. I take a generalist build, since I don't know what I'm going to get, but locking targets is a no brainer, it tells me where my target is weakest, so I can minimize the amount of effort I need to expend to kill my target, if a LRM boat wants to help, grate! But telling someone to get their own locks or whine about kill stealing is just being selfish, its a team game, so put your big boy pants on and be a good teammate.

#4 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:16 PM

Dear random teammate. Pressing "R" is consuming 1,4 Kalorien. We all know this is heavy business. Don't get stressed out by to much work.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 28 December 2015 - 12:33 AM.

#5 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

View PostPerfectDuck, on 27 December 2015 - 11:13 PM, said:

Was this meant for http://mwomercs.com/...your-own-locks/ this thread? Didn't want your opinion to get lost under pages and pages of TLDR and everybody saying the same thing?

To an extent, yes, but it applies generally to all PUG games. Stop blaming others for the team loss as though you are not contributing partly yourself. Its tiresome.

We see it all the time here.

#6 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:20 PM

Posted Image

#7 Ex Atlas Overlord

• Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:21 PM

View PostChewBaka, on 27 December 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

Tells people how to play in one thread.

Starts another thread complaining about people telling others how to play.

Sounds Legit.

#8 Ex Atlas Overlord

• Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:26 PM

View PostChewBaka, on 27 December 2015 - 11:19 PM, said:

To an extent, yes, but it applies generally to all PUG games. Stop blaming others for the team loss as though you are not contributing partly yourself. Its tiresome.

We see it all the time here.

And what about when I personally contribute more than another entire lance combined...and still lose.

Let me guess, still my fault right?

Just because you don't like to admit that sometimes it's just that one guys fault the whole team lost, doesn't suddenly make it stop being true.

Sometimes the whole team is terrible. Sometimes it's just one or two guys blowing it for everyone else.

Sometimes other guys on the team will even call you out when you're the one that blows it. As they should.

Either Man and / or Woman up and stop doing that thing that was stupid and / or bad.

Or just bury your head in the sand, and continue being delusional....as many here are wont to do.

#9 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:33 PM

Because that's what armchair generals do to armchair privates.

#10 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:41 PM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 27 December 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

And what about when I personally contribute more than another entire lance combined...and still lose.

Let me guess, still my fault right?

Just because you don't like to admit that sometimes it's just that one guys fault the whole team lost, doesn't suddenly make it stop being true.

Sometimes the whole team is terrible. Sometimes it's just one or two guys blowing it for everyone else.

Sometimes other guys on the team will even call you out when you're the one that blows it. As they should.

Either Man and / or Woman up and stop doing that thing that was stupid and / or bad.

Or just bury your head in the sand, and continue being delusional....as many here are wont to do.

Its a PUG. Are you really so obsessed with winning or losing in one that you have to dictate everyone's gameplay? That is the point here.

PUGs should be about having fun, where all sort of random nonsense builds can even happen.

If you're so obsessed about winning, than every PUG player should only be allowed to bring a meta-mech. Every other build is forbidden.

#11 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:25 AM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 27 December 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

Sounds Legit.

Its what you expect these days.

#12 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:53 AM

It’s all good

When people say hold locks or get locks

It’s a shortened version of if you can lock up your target the same with the hold locks request

It’s a good habit to get into

Let me repeat that it’s a good habit to get into for yourself and others

And no they are not beating on a desk demanding it

I can go into many examples and stories if you like

Hit R guys if you can

#13 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:02 AM

If other players don't want to lock targets for you, than its their choice. Don't whine about it. From their perspective, you're also ruining their game by playing a subpar mech and having subpar skill until you're dependent on other players to get locks.

Likewise, don't whine about people playing LRM boats either. Its their freaking choice. Just as its your own choice not to get locks for them. If the team loses, than it loses. You can blame each other but the simple truth is that it is everyone's fault. Yes, EVERYONE. From players who won't get locks (actually understandable in the current meta) to those play a mech that is dependent on locks.

If you're going to play in a PUG, than enjoy the chaos of PUGs - win or lose. Pick a mech that is more flexible and not depedent on others. If you must pick a 1-dimensional build, don't complain about the consequences. Its as much your own fault as it is the team.

Sheesh.

Locks = Intel = ammunition

I'd rather have a light narcing the enemy with no LRMs on my team, than people not locking at all.
Unfortunately PGI tried to address this issue (lack of locks, lack of intel) by creating an auto-lock system when you shoot the enemy (at least with energy weapons) but this shouldn't even be an issue.

Locking the enemy isn't about the LRM boats. It's about the intel you gather, from mech, weaponry (something you can't see from your teammates but you can from the enemy, go figure), location, direction and armor status.
All these factors help you and your team, no matter if you have LRMs or not, the lock is an essential key feature you and everyone should use.
Should be second nature to everyone who completes the Academy.

What I don't understand is why people think locks are only useful for missiles. That's incredibly naive.

I don't actually complain much, but sometimes there are things that grind my gears.
Complaining is a way to vent some frustration. You either answer or acknowledge or ignore. No need to create a topic about it every time something like that happens.

#14 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:21 AM

Posted Image
the cake for this one should be great

View PostChewBaka, on 27 December 2015 - 11:41 PM, said:

If you're so obsessed about winning, than every PUG player should only be allowed to bring a meta-mech. Every other build is forbidden.

View PostChewBaka, on 27 December 2015 - 11:41 PM, said:

PUGs should be about having fun, where all sort of random nonsense builds can even happen.

View PostChewBaka, on 27 December 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

Erm, might be a little late to respond to you but I was once in a game where someone asked for locks and the team noticed he was in an Atlas.

We abandoned his slow *** and used him as 'bait' to distract the enemy lights while we NASCAR'ed into their assault lance. Easy victory with only one casualty, being that Atlas. His contribution was significant in its own way, but not quite what he expected or wanted I think.

View PostChewBaka, on 27 December 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

You don't like it, don't play a fatlass LRM Atlas.

View PostChewBaka, on 27 December 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

If that player was in a brawling Atlas, he might not exactly have been abandoned. Some of us would have stood with him

oh the irony lol

Edited by Sandpit, 28 December 2015 - 01:28 AM.

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:27 AM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 27 December 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

Sounds Legit.

i know right? lol

#16 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:14 AM

I don't know if I was the one who started this. I've been playing a no armor LRM Timby the last couple days, begging for locks in the beginningand calling my team noobs for not getting me locks if we lost. It's the most fun I've ever had with this game.

#17 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:24 AM

Sheesh.

dont stand 1000m at the back shooting walls, you are no use to your team. If you are not doing that then you should have no problems getting your own locks.

I like to win, not get dragged down by idiots on my team, so I hope we never have to play together.

Edited by NextGame, 28 December 2015 - 02:29 AM.

#18 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:50 AM

Sometimes armchair generaling is actually someone giving good instruction/advice. Sometimes it is a scrub making excuses for poor play. You'll be a better player if you can distinguish the difference between the two. Just because you're in pick up games doesn't mean you shouldn't try to win.

#19 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:58 AM

If you want locks, put a TAG on your mech. If you are a LRM boat you want to be near the warm gooey center of the deathball anyways. So when the lights come to kill you, someone can protect you.

As for the original poster ... bad pilots make bad decisions. Im sorry if you cant tell if you are good or not. More than likely you arent in the top 10% of players and can use some advice. If you are doing 500 to 1k damage normally and your average match score is 200+ all the time, you should be ok.

If you arent putting up numbers, maybe you should listen to the guys who do. But, you know, bad pilots make bad decisions.

#20 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:59 AM

I normally let PUGs be PUGs, because...you know...PUG Life and all.

Anyway, I did try and give some advice to one player a few days back. We were on Conquest and a team mate was capping points in a King Crab with I think Dual Gauss and 3LLasers (un-damaged and I'm sure he didn't fire a shot). I did feel it necessary to point out that as a heavy hitter (and pretty darn slow) like he was, it wan't his roll to cap, but to help in the fight. His only answer was "someone has to cap". I tried to explain why he shouldn't do that, and received a "whatever". I gave up after that.

In PUGlandia, I think a person will see everything. It's just chaos. I'm just glad that chaos is spread around so that every messed up team I might drop into, there is equal chance the other team will be too :).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users