11 replies to this topic

#1 dadriel

Rookie

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 2 posts
  • LocationThe Old World

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

I need some advice how to play on River City. At the moment it seems more or less impossible me to win any games on this map regardless of game mode. My current win/loss ratio for River City 0.22, which is a far cry from my ratio on all other maps of around ~1.1.

Some things that I already noticed myself is that the maps seems to have a very static play style with fights almost always happening on or around the citadel area. Also there seems to be less movement here on others maps with PUG groups usually devolving into a peek and hide playstile among the buildings on both sides of the river.

Since I tend to favor a more mobile playstyle I tend to get slowly worn down while trying to find an opening while the rest of the team is sitting behind some cover and not daring to move out.

So what can I do to improve my succes rate on this map? Do I just have to accept the cover hugging because there is nothing else you can accomplish on your own?

#2 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:59 AM

What mech are you driving and what's your loadout?

#3 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

PUG dropper? Turn on comms (if you haven't already) and call targets. Winning on any map is almost always due to good teamwork - either experienced players who just know when to stay with the group, when to drift, when to peek around the corner, when to stay patient, and so on; or casual players who listen and work together.

If you're looking across at the enemy and there's a bunch of solid red triangles over them? Yeah - that's not a good thing: it means your team is spreading their damage across everyone. Flip on comms and say "Focus fire on X." As long as you're not a jerk about it, most people will listen.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 28 December 2015 - 08:11 AM.

#4 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:18 AM

View Postdadriel, on 28 December 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

So what can I do to improve my succes rate on this map? Do I just have to accept the cover hugging because there is nothing else you can accomplish on your own?

On your own? No, not really, you cannot really ever accomplish something game making on your own, regardless of the map, this is truly a team game.

You'd need to convince at least the rest of your lance to take a concerted action.

That said, a Light mech with ECM can sneak across to the other side and get some good locks for his team's missile boats. Warning: missile boats not standard included with this tactic, your end result may vary.

Getting into the enemy's back field and pulling of some sneak ERLL rear attacks can also be very effective. Make sure you only shoot when nobody's looking and annoy them. It's not likely to get you kills but your aim is to distract the enemy, goad them into harsh action or split their team when they try to hunt you down. If they do chase you with multiple mechs be sure to inform your team and tell them to push to exploit their numeric advantage, otherwise your (probable) sacrifice will be in vain.

#5 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

Flank... Either come in over/under the bridge/tunnel to upper base.... Or go around the Storage tanks on the south side and come in the back side of the city.. Now getting people to go along with anything can be like herding cats.. Just look at all the thread in the general forums saying.. How dare you tell me what to do!

Though you could try asking over public chat.. hey guys.. Lets fight in the air field! maybe they will come.. :)

#6 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

Pretty much exactly the advice posted above. River is my best map by far and using the 'behind their lines' sneak tactic when in my lights, or the storage tank flank (with a couple other mechs organized to move with you) when in heavier chassis works for me most often.

If it's going to be another typical urban fight in the buildings the one thing that works for me when in more mobile chassis is the "wayne gretsky" method.. apply his famous quote "I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been" meaning watch your targets weaving around in the buildings... I find most pilots tend to be very predicable in city fighting. Instead of chasing enemy mechs around buildings.. instead move around the other side or block and intercept them in a strafing run or their exposed rear then fade away. Works best in lights, you need mobility.

Other than that, Comms, comms, oh and like the others mentioned make suggestions on Comms :)

#7 dadriel

Rookie

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 2 posts
  • LocationThe Old World

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

View Postmailin, on 28 December 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

What mech are you driving and what's your loadout?

I'm usually driving a SCR or TBR with AC/20 as main gun and cER Med Lasers for backup.

Thanks for the good hints already, seems either taking the lead or sticking with the team seem to be the best options to get more wins for this map :)

#8 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:07 AM

View Postdadriel, on 28 December 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

I need some advice how to play on River City. At the moment it seems more or less impossible me to win any games on this map regardless of game mode. My current win/loss ratio for River City 0.22, which is a far cry from my ratio on all other maps of around ~1.1.

Some things that I already noticed myself is that the maps seems to have a very static play style with fights almost always happening on or around the citadel area. Also there seems to be less movement here on others maps with PUG groups usually devolving into a peek and hide playstile among the buildings on both sides of the river.

Since I tend to favor a more mobile playstyle I tend to get slowly worn down while trying to find an opening while the rest of the team is sitting behind some cover and not daring to move out.

Need more detail.
What Mechs and roles are you trying?

As to static gameplay, all maps have that to a certain degree.
Alpine Peaks usually centers on the H9/I9 hill. On occasion, you might get a team that does things different, Skirmish for example is better for the southern team to push I7 because of where the Assaults always start in L6/L7, it takes too long for them to get to the hill and if they try, the Lights and Mediums have gotten hit hard, even killed when the bigger Mechs get there.
Canyon Netowrk most often focuses on the center where C3/C4/D3/D4 meet.
Caustic Valley since the rework is mainly about D4/D5, the 3 row is not fought at as much as it used to be.
Crimson Strait, mainly the B row/tunnel, sometimes in Assault you might get a Saddle Fight.
Forest Colony, either the arch in G9 or sometimes the pass in F9.
Frozen City both, C4/B4 especially in Skirmish where the team starting around the D row can try to rush C4/B4 to wipe enemy Assaults before they get backup.
HPG has some variety to it but usually centers around the top area.
River City starts with sniping about the Citadel with usually a G row push though there are rare moments of teams facing off in the D row.
Terra Therma, mindless rush to the center with rare matches where one or both teams flank outside it.
Mining Collective has some variety to it usually centered about going where the Big Mechs are.
Tourmaline Desert, either a square off about the ring or one team pushing through the F7 area low or high.
Viridian Bog, fight about the twin islands in the B/C rows.

Personally, I find the repetitive nature boring with so much map area going unused, some of that due to map changes that no longer happen. In Solo Quick Play, it has been possible to get a team to try something different, I have been on teams that do that but you roll the dice given the random nature of who you are paired with. You may have to find a way to drop with a Unit, random group in Group Play or get some people together for Private Matches to find different ways to play the maps.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

I find that going the roads less traveled works well. Lure enemies into the airport area if possible. Or while there to advance make sure the bridge is not being watched and make your way through. Use cover by up high or down low. Engage one or two but run if more. You will be able to get behind the sharp shooter areas of the citadel now.

Good luck. Hammer them good.

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:06 PM

All good comments so far. It's really important to not go anywhere alone, unless you're in a light. Also, Stormcrows and Timberwolves get focused a lot, so make extra sure you aren't alone when moving.

As far as flanking goes, there is some time before the drop begins. Use it to your advantage by deciding on a strategy and letting your team know. On River City I will usually say something along the lines of move to the assaults and support them whereever they go. If you stay close to the assaults you will probably not get focused quite as much because there are more important targets available. Either way, if you do go in the water cross it quickly, even if you're taking fire. There is nowhere to hide from lrms in the water so expose yourself as little as possible.

Edited by mailin, 28 December 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#11 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

Hey dadriel, what I usually attempt when static play occur at the citadel is to simply cross the river and flank, often on the e5 banks next to the space port. It may be suicidal but you stand a chance of splitting up the enemy, allowing friendlies to overpower the remaining forces.

However, success highly depends on your friendlies to identify the opportunity window you have given them. If they do not, you will be the one overpowered. Personally, River city is one of those trickier maps in MWO so most tend to play it safe.

You timing must be essential. Try to get a light, preferably with JJs to help you out. Ask him/her to just be your eyes. Don't commit to engage an enemy before you do.

Good luck, and don't gloom over stats that are inaccurate/redundant

Edited by purplewasabi, 28 December 2015 - 02:25 PM.

#12 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:21 PM

View Postmailin, on 28 December 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

.... if you do go in the water cross it quickly, even if you're taking fire. There is nowhere to hide from lrms in the water so expose yourself as little as possible.

Yeah, personally I HATE the open water push.. but if it's called and starts then push out there and don't leave your mates hanging. Too many times I see the push start to cross the water, people take a few hits and they immediate turn and run back into the city.. or at least try as they take more hits to their rears. Just move quickly across the water and either get cover or engage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users