Post Pts Quirk Is Assault Choice Help.

18 replies to this topic

#1 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hello all

Im looking to get an Assault mastery pack and have been trawling the forum for information and ideas. Unfortunately, pretty much everything Ive read is pre PTS quirks.

I was set on getting the Stalker pack (and getting the 5N for Cbills) right up until I read the PTS quirks - it seems the Stalkers didnt do so well as other Assaults - so I thought it best to get some advice from people with actual in game experience.

Some bits of info about my style to help you to help me.

I'm looking for something that I can use in CW and in the insta pub queue.
I dont like SRMs as I just cant get the hang of them.
LRMs - Id rather not, but its not a deal breaker.
I like 200 - 600 meter range.
I like lasers more than dakka and dakka more than missiles.
It needs to be a bit of a crutch or be a bit forgiving as Im not a great pilot.
I have enough Cbills to upgrade where necessary.

Is the Stalker still a relevent chassis despite the lack of PTS quirks or should I be looking elsewhere.

Any help, advice, suggestions, thoughts, ideas etc on which mastery pack would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

#2 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:26 AM

Atlas, is back to being the king of the assaults. S/DDC/BoarsHead

Edited by Cillipuddi, 28 December 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#3 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostCillipuddi, on 28 December 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Atlas, is back to being the king of the assaults. S/DDC/BoarsHead

I have a Loyalty Atlas that I sort of enjoy - but it seems like as soon as anyone sees an Atlas they just HAVE to stop whatever they're doing abd go and shoot it.

#4 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

Then do something crazy, and go Awesome or Battlemasers....

#5 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

Sturdy, Lasers, Dakka = Banshee, but it will fill up your CW drop deck quickly

I'd also have recommended Zeus, but I don't think that has a pack yet.
Stalkers is still a solid choice, though stronger LRM bias (only dakka is Misery)
Battlemaster are pretty much a flexible mix of everything

#6 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Well yeah, any assault gets that treatment. Atlas got mega structure buffs, and since long range got nerfed pretty hard, its brawling abilities got passively buffed along with its structure buffs. you can safely 1v4 and take 2-3 of them with you to the grave. If you're looking for mid range engagement ability, stay with the STK. But the Atlas is a solo queue beast now.

#7 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostSoultraxx, on 28 December 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

I have a Loyalty Atlas that I sort of enjoy - but it seems like as soon as anyone sees an Atlas they just HAVE to stop whatever they're doing abd go and shoot it.

Yes, but now you can actually take some damage without falling apart. The key to running a good Atlas now is to make sure you always have support with you. That way if they focus you then your teammates can shred them while you're soaking fire.

It's really funny to see what happens now when people try to play gangbang the Atlas. I'll be spreading damage, twisting and returning fire as much as possible while watching the kill counter on my side steadily tick up. Though this is assuming your team takes advantage of it. Sometimes teams will be incredibly stupid and hide while the Atlas is getting hit but those teams are just going to lose anyway.

#8 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

Battlemasters are paper mechs now, and Banshees are as well. Not denying their damage capabilities but in a 1v1 situation I would take an Atlas over anything but a Direwolf in the current meta. And with pilot skills taking a big hit, I would take an Atlas in most cases due to how slow the DWF is now. If were talking Solo/Group queue. Stalkers/Battlemasters are still extremely strong in CW due to their quirks and high weapon mounts/loadouts.

#9 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostCillipuddi, on 28 December 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Well yeah, any assault gets that treatment. Atlas got mega structure buffs, and since long range got nerfed pretty hard, its brawling abilities got passively buffed along with its structure buffs. you can safely 1v4 and take 2-3 of them with you to the grave. If you're looking for mid range engagement ability, stay with the STK. But the Atlas is a solo queue beast now.

While the Atlas does indeed tend to stay upright a bit longer, the structure quirks don't help a great deal in regards to keeping weapons intact. They fall off just as fast as they always have. Walking around with one bitty laser isn't all you make it out to be.

#10 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

Tbh, they're all good except for Victors. Victors got left behind.

#11 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

I can tell you from experience that the Banshee is a great chassis
I can tell you from experience that the Awesome was pretty good in Quirk 1, and not good anymore Quirk 2
Stalkers are always a good option, (not as good as when it was a braindead faceroll mech back in the day)
and Atlas' look fantastic now, and I'm saving up for one

Also, the Mauler kicks *** but wont be available for a couple more months

Edited by AntiCitizenJuan, 28 December 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#12 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

http://metamechs.com...ists/comp-list/

#13 C I L L I P U D D I

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:47 PM

Dont listen to Sulla he a scrubnasty XD

#14 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

View PostSoultraxx, on 28 December 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Because they're bloody terrifying if you let them get close.

#15 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:26 PM

I'm a big fan of Zeuses (Zeusi?). They're not quite as beefy as some of the larger assaults but they can sport a decent loadout with a STD 300 or 320 engine while skipping along at 65-75kph.

I've had best results loading up the left arm and left torso with weapons and leaving the right arm (which always has missile hardpoints) empty for shielding. If you play it right, you can lose your entire right side and still be 100% combat effective.

#16 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:39 PM

Whatever they do with balance or quirks, stalkers and banshees will be good mechs.

#17 Zink1701

• PipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 99 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

Stalker, misery has always been a solid mech quirks or no quirks. I also own Boars head, its a lot better now but quirks change. Also atlas requires some degree of skill to pilot correctly as you are a priority target all the time. Game for game I do better in my stalkers.

#18 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostCillipuddi, on 28 December 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

Dont listen to Sulla he a scrubnasty XD
Ya sorry bad scrub advice :)

#19 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:04 AM

There's no such thing like forgiving assault mech, especially after pilot skill tree nerfs so if I were you, I'd stick with heavies.

Banshees, Stalkers, Battlemasters, Maulers and King Crabs are good firepower wise but have no structure or mobility quirks aside from a few variants with questionable hardpoints. The rest have poor firepower.

Some say that Atlas is "now" good, but new quirks only compensate for pilot skill tree nerfs; 50 damage alphas didn't go anywhere either. Placebo effect at its finest.

Piloting 100 ton mech that is as nimble as 85-95 ton one with huge XL engine also breaks immersion (Posted Image ).

If you insist on picking assault mech though pick Banshees.

Edited by kapusta11, 29 December 2015 - 04:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users