Is Medium Choices.

Question

14 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

So i'm a bit bored. i have a fair few mechs. (around 20ish) i'm looking for some mediums to try out. I have Cicada's Blackjacks and Cents.

Also if the mediums you'd recommend me have a mastery bundle just check if it's be good for me to get that.

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:37 PM

I would like to recommend the griffons, solid mechs over all and an ECM variant.

#3 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:27 AM

The Crab has become my favorite medium Mech.
50 Tonns of swift nimbleness in a tiny, tiny frame.
Its a pure energy boat, yes an other one, but hey you go 104 to 120 kph and you'll have 2 heavy lasers or ppcs and 2 - 4 medium lasers. ( skip those pesky med pulslaser builds they are a waste of potential. )

If you like SRMs and oneside wonder mechs the Griffin could be a mech for you.
The GRF 2N has ECM cappabilitys. Its Heromech the Sparky is a prime energy boat.
Downside: Its too damn big.

Wolverines are a mech type you saw regularely in CW but only frequently in PuG.
Its a bit smaler than the Griffin and in addition most of its variants have more than two kinds of weapons. In BT TT a diversity of weapon classes can be of advantage in MWO it only makes targeting difficult. One WVR has strong Ballistic quirks and can be played as dakka mech with 2 AC5 if you are inclined to invest in cooldown modules. An other WVR is apretty good Lpulse laser carrier.
But the mech is still much too big and bulky for its weightclass.

Shadowhawks.....meh I just hate them. Can't say anything positive about them.
Once they defined meta but even at this time I could not addapt to the maingun blocking the right side of my field of view and the muzzleflash is just anoying. In addition its proportions make it move somewhat awkward.
Oh yea and its MUCH too big.

Did not try Vindicator or Enforcer but from what I hear the Vindi is just .... Liao .... Thugstyle underperformer.
The Enforcer is a mech that can be seen regularely in PuGs but never tryed it.

So longstory short....try a Crab or a ( NOT a Shadowhawk.)

Edit: Don't know why I wrote Shadowhawk....I meant Griffin.

Edited by The Basilisk, 29 December 2015 - 02:11 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:28 AM

I second the recommendation for the Griffin, it is a great SRM/laser brawler which can use an XL engine for speed or a standard for durability, has a very good torso twist range and all can jump.

the Hunchback has one of the widest torso twist ranges in the game but no jumping varient, and has a variety of variants, each of which are based around one weapon system, usualy with lasers for backup, they work best with Standard engines making them relatively cheep to outfit.

Shadow Hawk, it can jump but has a comparatively tiny torso twist range, most have a shoulder mounted balistic as well as missiles and lasers

Enforcer is a balistic focused 50 tonner, as yet no mastery pack but a good Mech

Crab is another great medium, again no mastery pack, all variants are laser boats

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 29 December 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#5 Bagua

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:34 AM

I enjoy Hunchies very much. Each of them is specialized for a different weapon system with high grade quirks.

#6 BleuDeath

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:02 AM

Blackjacks and Hunchies.Hands down.

#7 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:01 AM

Yeah i picked the enforcer. for the 4p, 5p and the champ variant. I'm impressed with them.

i'm iffy with hunchies since they have a massive "shoot me here" spot.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 29 December 2015 - 04:01 AM.

#8 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:19 AM

Only Mediums without Mastery packs now are
Vindicator
Crab
Enforcer

Hunchbacks, you can get 3 to Master with only 1 having the big RT. The 4J and 4SP have no big honkin' RT so the third you choose from 2 Ballistics (4G or 4H), the all Energy 4P or the GI.

#9 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:29 AM

Definately agree here to some choises. Especially with the Hunchback chassis. Nice mech, lots of armor for a medium with a good punch, too. No matter what variant. I prefer the standart variant, the AC20 boomer.

#10 Princeps Ibram Cain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:26 AM

Well, you alredy have the Black Jack so i dont think another good rason to buy other medium mech. Maybe the Hunchbacks could be an option in my opinion. I like the 4G, the 4SP and the energy variant (dont like this last, but its better than the rest)

Edited by Ibram Cain, 29 December 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#11 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:36 AM

Black Jack, na not really my favorite medium chassis. Too quick too open or at least half destroyed. The Hunch has a comparebale damage Ratio but can take more of it.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:09 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 29 December 2015 - 04:01 AM, said:

i'm iffy with hunchies since they have a massive "shoot me here" spot.

that is a big part of the reason the HBK is so good to learn on, nothing teaches you defensive twisting and using a shield side faster than loosing most of your weapons quickly several games in a row

#13 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:27 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 31 December 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

that is a big part of the reason the HBK is so good to learn on, nothing teaches you defensive twisting and using a shield side faster than loosing most of your weapons quickly several games in a row

Yep.
Not only the Hunchback is a pretty powerful mech, fun, cheap, badass, tanky and allows multiple types of different gameplay with each variant (big ballistic, laser-boat, LRM-baot, SRM brawler), but it's also a very good "practice mech".
Of course it always depends on personal preference, and I try to adapt my advice to each individual asking me, but the Hunchback is my default answer to "what mech should I begin with?".

#14 Kalamity27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEST

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:24 AM

I have my fair share of mediums. Based off what you already have. I would go either hunchback or crabs, which both have already been suggested.

#15 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

well the centurion and cicada bundles are the best values if ya ask me.. Both come with lots of great XL engines! and the heroes are nice too..

(edit,, totally missed you already have cicadas and cents.. good job,, great mechs.. and honestly the best of the master packs for mediums )

HBK, the jacks of all trade.. new quirks make them very tough, and the load outs are lots of fun. My favorite the 4SP with 2x SRM4's+ 4 ML's (i run 4's over 6's because 6's+ml's becomes more of an alpha mech and just runs to hot for my tastes)

wolverines.. Odd ducks.. I love the 7K with dual SRM6's it is very fast and can carry JJ's, the 6K is the one armed bandit.. packs a energy punch, but gotta protect that arm. It's a very popular CW mech. and the 6R, it can run ballistics. The new D and hero i have not played..

For me, you can't go wrong with any..

Edited by JC Daxion, 31 December 2015 - 09:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users