Steam Light Pack Price Question

11 replies to this topic

#1 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:07 AM

I read the Steam Light Pack price is not interesting.

Yet, even with the current 25% discount, 3600 MC cost 15 $.

Arctic cheetah prime cost 3095 MC.

With the pack for around 22 bucks, you have ACT Prime S (+30% CB !), skins, another mech (Raven), 30 days premium (worth 2000 MC), 2.5 millions CB and 1500 MC !

So my question is: isnt this steam light pack a bargain ?

#2 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

Yes, the steam packs are a good deal at the current prices (with discounts). If I didn't already own all the mechs in the deals, I would buy them too. Without the discounts the packs are only just barely worth it, but at the current prices those mechs are a steal especially if you dont want to buy a clan wave package.

#3 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

That IS a good price right now.

HOWEVER, that gets you one (1) of each of the two (2) mechs. You'll need THREE (3) of either one to even get that chassis into ELITE skills, and remember that your BASIC skills are DOUBLED once you complete the ELITEs. And, at a minimum, it's HIGHLY recommended that you complete all the ELITE skills for a mech, in order to get the most out of it.

So, the Steam pack IS a good value at this time, but it still leaves you needing to buy FOUR (4) more mechs yet (two more ACH, two more RVN).

Also, you'll likely end up spending a few or several million CBills on getting that RVN fitted out with the right gear (DHS, ENDO, FF, and the right XL engine).

Advice: If you DO buy that pack, be sure to buy a few extra mech bays with the MC that it includes. You'll want those for the other mechs you'll have to buy with CBills. Otherwise, go for it and ENJOY!

#4 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 29 December 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

That IS a good price right now.

HOWEVER, that gets you one (1) of each of the two (2) mechs. You'll need THREE (3) of either one to even get that chassis into ELITE skills, and remember that your BASIC skills are DOUBLED once you complete the ELITEs. And, at a minimum, it's HIGHLY recommended that you complete all the ELITE skills for a mech, in order to get the most out of it.

So, the Steam pack IS a good value at this time, but it still leaves you needing to buy FOUR (4) more mechs yet (two more ACH, two more RVN).

Also, you'll likely end up spending a few or several million CBills on getting that RVN fitted out with the right gear (DHS, ENDO, FF, and the right XL engine).

Advice: If you DO buy that pack, be sure to buy a few extra mech bays with the MC that it includes. You'll want those for the other mechs you'll have to buy with CBills. Otherwise, go for it and ENJOY!

Yes I'm aware of the 3 variants chore.

And Raven, I know its sucks. I'm noob but at least I can compare mechs. And I find ACH much better. I intend to play Raven once a day for 2X XP + 30 % CB boost.

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

Which Raven comes in that package? Because, actually, the Raven doesn't suck, and some Ravens are REALLY good for certain roles.

Really, what makes you think that it sucks?

#6 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

I have tested the trial raven. I find him slow for a light. And no jumper boost. It has long range lasers but that's not really useful for a light. I prefer shorter range but more powerful. Trial is not really faster than Stormcrow and much less powerful and armored.

ACH on the other hand is so fun and efficient.

Perhaps when I get better, I'll appreciate Raven more.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

Actually, the trial RVN should be the RVN-3L(C). It actually IS faster than a Storm Crow. A LOT faster. Like 30-something percent faster. Faster than the Arctic Cheetah, too, by about 7 km/h.

It IS less powerful and less armored than a Storm Crow, but so is an Arctic Cheetah. Both of them are far outweighed by the SCR (20 and 25 tons lighter, for the RVN and ACH chassis respectively). Comparing either to a SCR is kind of odd. Compare them to one another, though...

RVN is faster (only -3L; RVN-H hero is equal in speed, -2X and -4X are slower).
BOTH have high energy mounts for hill humping and sniping (except RVN-H hero)
BOTH have ECM capability (RVN-3L only; ACH-PRIME LT omnipod only)
RVN has more/better structure quirks.
ACH has jump jets (only 2/4 RVN variants have JJs).
BOTH can mount energy, missile, and ballistic weapons (RVN has two variants that can mount B weapons).
ACH has better hit boxes and is harder to hit.
ACH has Clan tech (more damage, range, and heat).
RVN has IS tech (less damage, range, and heat).
RVN has QUIRKS for various weapons systems.

Really, it comes down to your preference. If the Raven sucks FOR YOU, then it sucks. On the other hand, if you're open to giving it a chance, the RVN chassis has a great variety of loadouts and quirks across four variants, and can be quite useful.

EDIT: Also, once you OWN the RVN, you can change the loadout. Try the RVN-3L with ECM, 3x ML, SRM-6, SSRM-2, and as big an engine as you can stuff into it. Or go with all MPLs and SSRM-2s. No need for BAP, since it won't counter ECM anyhow in an ECM-equipped mech. Or go with a slower engine, like an XL 265 or XL 255, and pump even more hot weaponry into it. OR go crazy with it and toss some LRM launchers in there. Or go NARC stuff with the RVN-3L's best-in-game NARC quirks. There's a LOT you can do with it, man.

I'd say that you should give it a try, an HONEST chance. Try out the (relatively cheap) RVN-2X or RVN-4X as a second variant. And if you honestly just can't stand them, then so be it.

For my part, I really like the RVN.

Edited by TheRAbbi, 29 December 2015 - 09:33 AM.

#8 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

I will certainly test seriously the Raven included in the pack.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

GREAT!

And no matter what you think of the Raven, be sure to come back in here and let us know how it goes with the pack, and with BOTH of those mechs! HAPPY HUNTING!

#10 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

I will. This community is really helpful !

#11 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostGoritude, on 29 December 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

Yes I'm aware of the 3 variants chore.

And Raven, I know its sucks. I'm noob but at least I can compare mechs. And I find ACH much better. I intend to play Raven once a day for 2X XP + 30 % CB boost.

No the raven does not suck.... Not in the least... the 3L is one of the best lights in the game... the 2x Is also a good mech, and the one people boat 3 LL's on.. The 4X can do dual with Jump jets, or be a brawler.. and the hero is a Lance support machine that can wreck assaults in seconds..

not sure who told you ravens suck, but they are way off the mark.. Unless the only way they want to play is 6-8 weapon energy boats..

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostGoritude, on 29 December 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

I will. This community is really helpful !

It's what we strive for. ;-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users