Help On Spending Mc

18 replies to this topic

#1 Leyliner

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

Hi!

I played MWO in 2013 a bit and now came back. I have 7600MC in my account and want to buy 1-2 mechs. I saw there are Hero mechs with CB bonus and Champion mechs with XP bonus.
Probably not a bad idea to have one of each.
Now I need your support to choose some mechs + equipment for my playstyle:

- Focus on distant fights (medium to long range)
- I prefer a slower and tactical playstyle, so no need for a very fast mech

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

Mastery packs are popular choice for spending MC.

#3 Heartless Saint

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

Mech Bays and War Horns are the only things on my MC list.

I would go with a chassis that you know and like. Get that %30 C-bill increase.

Edited by Heartless Saint, 29 December 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#4 Leyliner

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

View PostHeartless Saint, on 29 December 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Mech Bays and War Horns are the only things on my MC list.

I would go with a chassis that you know and like. Get that %30 C-bill increase.

ok, but which chassis is the best for my playstyle?

#5 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

well you did not say what you already have.. so that really doesn't help..

You don't have enough for a bunch of the heavy packs, or the assaults.

But if you like heavy mechs.. the thunder bolt, Jager, or Catapult are all in that price range.. You will get a champion, a hero, and one other, + 30 days premium and some other bonuses.. Just look under Bundles in game, under the store page.

All 3 of these heavies fit the medium-long range styles.. though the catapult jester is one of the fastest heavies in the game.. Don't think that you don't need speed to be tactical.. sometimes a fast heavy can be one of the best long range mechs around.

Load outs, what do you like energy/ballistics/missiles? combos? You really need to give us more info..

For mediums, i would suggest the shadow Hawk, or centurion

Looks like you could also pick up the orion pack as well.

I suggest you look at the store see what ya like the looks of, then Hop on over to here http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ and play around with builds, and see what kinda weapon load outs they have.. then come back and ask some more questions before you narrow it down..

sounds like you really should start with a heavy.. and one that you can mix load outs with the different models.. But again you didn't say what your experience is, or what you already have.. Would be very helpful

If you don't want a pack, what mechs do you already have 3 of that you like? Then we can give some advice on the heroes of those..

Edited by JC Daxion, 29 December 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#6 Leyliner

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 29 December 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

well you did not say what you already have.. so that really doesn't help..

You don't have enough for a bunch of the heavy packs, or the assaults.

But if you like heavy mechs.. the thunder bolt, Jager, or Catapult are all in that price range.. You will get a champion, a hero, and one other, + 30 days premium and some other bonuses.. Just look under Bundles in game, under the store page.

All 3 of these heavies fit the medium-long range styles.. though the catapult jester is one of the fastest heavies in the game.. Don't think that you don't need speed to be tactical.. sometimes a fast heavy can be one of the best long range mechs around.

Load outs, what do you like energy/ballistics/missiles? combos? You really need to give us more info..

For mediums, i would suggest the shadow Hawk, or centurion

Looks like you could also pick up the orion pack as well.

I suggest you look at the store see what ya like the looks of, then Hop on over to here http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ and play around with builds, and see what kinda weapon load outs they have.. then come back and ask some more questions before you narrow it down..

sounds like you really should start with a heavy.. and one that you can mix load outs with the different models.. But again you didn't say what your experience is, or what you already have.. Would be very helpful

If you don't want a pack, what mechs do you already have 3 of that you like? Then we can give some advice on the heroes of those..

Don't have much at the moment:
- Catapult 1/5
- Centurion 2/5 Yen-Lo-Wang

Let's say I have nothing and I want to start the game as a ranged damage dealer.

I'd love to use missiles as primary weapons, but energy weapons would be also ok ;-)

Edited by Leyliner, 29 December 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

which catapult do you hawhich catapult do you have? C1 or C4 by chance? Do you like it? Is so the catapult might be for you.

Jester is a very strong energy boat, and one of the fastest heavies with JJ's in the game.

the K2 mixes energy and ballistics, and is a great medium long range sniper with Large or ER large, or PPC's + a pair of AC5's

the A1, is all missiles.. people typically put 2 pairs of 10's or a pair of 15's with SRM's for short range.. (make sure you stick in a BAP too)

the thunder bolts are great mechs, but 2 in the packs (like the catapult pack are energy based) and the missile hard points are very limited.. basically you can stick in an LRM 10, or some SRM's But they are solid mechs, and the 5SS is the goto brawler for the IS side

Now lastly, i have not played it, So wait for someone that can say something about it, But the Orion sounds like something you might like. It is the only heavy outside of catapults that uses missiles as a primary.. and while missiles are not the best weapons in competition play, they are more than fine at lower to mid level at this time.. (keep in mind competitive meta's change.. and at one time, missiles, PPC's and even AC2's were all meta)

But orions look like they have a nice variety, and i know i have seen them play well on teams.. But for a better understanding of them.. let someone with first hand knowledge of them give more advice.

Right now from what you said, i would lean towards catapults and orions.. But collect more data.. I'd leave this post open a day or so before you decide.. Just play with what you have for now.. the New player forums will leave you lots to ponder on if you give um some time :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 29 December 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#8 Lujke85

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:50 AM

a thunderbolt mastery pack would fit the range pretty well

#9 Heartless Saint

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

I would just wait for another sale. Since you don't have very many mechs. You got to find that one that you will grind with.

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostLeyliner, on 29 December 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Hi!

I played MWO in 2013 a bit and now came back. I have 7600MC in my account and want to buy 1-2 mechs. I saw there are Hero mechs with CB bonus and Champion mechs with XP bonus.
Probably not a bad idea to have one of each.
Now I need your support to choose some mechs + equipment for my playstyle:

- Focus on distant fights (medium to long range)
- I prefer a slower and tactical playstyle, so no need for a very fast mech

Forget the Champion 'mechs; the only Champion you should buy is the Cicada - if you really need to sell it for the cbills (it's the best cbills/mc of anything, including the cbill packs.) Otherwise, focus on Hero 'mechs for chassis that you enjoy; the c-bills will come naturally, particularly with Premium Time and a Hero. The Thunderbolt series is a fine choice, as are the Stalkers - given your desire to go long range - preferably with missiles - the Stalker is a solid, multi-role choice.

Generally, though, you want to spend your MC on Hero 'mechs, Premium Time, and 'Mech Bays, in that order. You can get 'mech bays from just playing the game, but at first it's hard to come by enough to avoid selling chassis variants (a good thing to avoid,) so they're worthwhile if you need them. The Jester is also a good long-range combatant with energy weapons, ans will help you round out your Catapult collection.

A couple words of advice based on your posts thus far: First, you need to get three of a chassis in order to unlock the second tier of pilot skills, which are an important bonus, particularly since buying all of that second (Elite) tier will double the bonuses you get from the Basic skills. So, while it's not bad at all to branch out and play with different 'mechs, bear in mind that the full potential of your machines will not be achieved without those pilot skills - particularly the ones related to heat management.

Second, regarding missiles... Learn how to use them. Particularly at lower levels, they're a ton of fun, and they were recently adjusted to be a bit more efficient in dealing meaningful damage (less spread.) You need to know how they work, and how to defeat them without relying on the crutch of ECM bubbles - or the ineffectual "tactic" of huddling behind tall cover like terrified sheep, refusing to move until slaughtered. The best way to do that is by using them yourself. However, as you progress through the skill tier system - and advance in skill yourself - you'll find that LRMs will become less and less effective, particularly compared to direct-fire options. You can still use them at all levels - just bear this in mind.

In any case, welcome back - and see you on the battlefield.

#11 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

You know that is pretty good advice.. If you do like the catapults.. You could always grab the jester, and then also pick up the misery.. with the 50% off sale.. that would still leave you money for mech bays..

I was just thinking bundle as it is an easy way to get rolling, and not have to worry about grinding. I won both the jester and misery, and play them very often.. Both awesome mechs. Misery, can be a great medium range mech.

#12 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

Stalker mastery pack when it goes on sale would be a good fit. The misery hero included in it is one of the best inner sphere mechs. The other two are not as good but can be arranged to fit your playstyle. Orion mechs are under rated as well. A pilot who knows his limitations and strengths in one can melt cockpits though. Watch Koniving pilot one on YouTube.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

First and foremost, the best tip is always wait until Friday after 1 PM EST / 10 AM PST before spending any MC.

The reason for this is any new sale that comes up will always be on a Friday.

Hope that helps!

(Any new sale that involves purchasing with MC.) ^(disclaimer).

#14 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

Just to add to what kon said.. This boxing day sale that is 50% ends tomorrow.. so all those heroes will go up.. The bundle prices on the other hand will stay the same. So you could get 2 plus have left over for mech bays..

But, if you wait, which is totally cool too, just watch for future sales, they typically have then 2 times a month.. give or take.. A few times a year, they put all heroes/champions on sale, but outside of that, they pick a few, and or some colors, and sometimes add the regular mechs into the mix as well.

#15 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Sales are extended. Lots of great things! (Kon called it)

#16 Eflin

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

As someone in similar shoes to you (stopped playing when the phoenix package came out... came back 2-3 weeks ago) I would suggest the following:

1) Get a bunch of mech bays once the sale for them goes live (Friday I believe). EDIT: Looks like it started today actually! You will need them and the sale price is unbeatable. I plan on buying 10 and I already have 25 mech bays. There is no other way to get mech bays and you want to avoid having to sell chassis over the long run.

2) Spend the rest of your money on hero mechs (NOT champion mechs). Forget the mastery packs unless you are willing to spend more money on this game. Mastery packs are great deals but are an across the board spread and include things you can get with C-bills... and a lot of premium time (which while great only speeds you up... does not give you something you couldn't get by grinding more). If you want to be more efficient with your money buy only hero mechs... grind out C-bills for 2 other variants of the heros you picks so you can master them... and forget about premium time (premium time is great but only speeds up progress... I save my MC for things I can't get elsewhere)

Hope that helps!

As for which Heros to buy...

1) Stalker - Misery is pretty consistently at the top of peoples list. I have not bought it yet because assaults are stupid expensive even with the sale prices. I stick to heavies and lighter for now. Maybe down the road I'll try it out... but with limited funds going an assault is going to wrap up ALOT of your funds.
2) Ilya Muromets - My favorite mech. Might not be the most competitive if you look at competitive tiers... but it is so much fun and will do well for casual players. Load it up with 3 UAC5 and 3 medium lasers and go to town. I also have the Top Dog (thunderbolt hero) but don't find it as much fun. It is still a solid choice though and I enjoy it... and thunderbolts are a goooood chassis right now.
3) If you like lights... consider the Oxide. The Huggin is comparable but right now the Oxide is slightly better from what people tell me. I just bought it last night but have not had a chance to test it out.
4) If you like mediums... I'd go for the Arrow simply because I think Black jacks are a solid chasis. Shadow Hawks mentioned above are not bad either but I find them harder to do well in. They are very tall and thus easier to hit. That could just be a personal preference though

Edited by Eflin, 30 December 2015 - 12:58 PM.

#17 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostEflin, on 30 December 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

As someone in similar shoes to you (stopped playing when the phoenix package came out... came back 2-3 weeks ago) I would suggest the following:

1) Get a bunch of mech bays once the sale for them goes live (Friday I believe). You will need them and the sale price is unbeatable. I plan on buying 10 and I already have 25 mech bays. There is no other way to get mech bays and you want to avoid having to sell chassis over the long run.

Actually, you can earn them by playing the Clan wars, But that is farther down the road for you.. You can also earn them at events.. But, buying a bunch on sale is always a good thing.. This account i plan on buying them next sale.. Posted Image

Champions are nice to get for short cuts, and a new player, the XP bonus is really nice. It stacks with premium and makes earning GXP a lot easier. I would not buy a lot of Champions personally, but if you have a mech you really like.. it's worth it. I personally grabbed a Timber-C (C) on sale.. Its pricey, but clans don't have heroes, just Packs if you wan't to get a C-bill booster you need to buy one of those.

Inner sphere on the other hand has many heroes.. so a champion on that side outside of just making this quicker are not as valuable.

Edited by CJ Daxion, 30 December 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#18 Eflin

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostCJ Daxion, on 30 December 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

Actually, you can earn them by playing the Clan wars, But that is farther down the road for you.. You can also earn them at events.. But, buying a bunch on sale is always a good thing.. This account i plan on buying them next sale.. Posted Image

Good to know! I haven't gotten into Clan Wars stuff yet since I was told it was hard core mode. I wanted to wait until I had all my favorite 4 mechs mastered so I could contribute. Got 2/4 done so almost there. Looking forward to some free mech bays then!

#19 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

yes.. very good idea to wait.. because yes, Clan wars you really need to be in a 12 man drop group.. playing in pugs is just not the way to go, unless you don't mind getting destoryed.. though you will have the random pug win.. those are GOLD!!!!

i think i played Cw maybe 20 drops, all pugs. i think i won 3, Some of the others were actually close too so not all bad, but the bad made a 12-0 solo pug roll seam like kids play.. But honestly that is how group cue is when you come up against a really good group.. match is over in about 4 mins. But ahh well, thems the breaks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users