13 replies to this topic

#1 Tetule

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f85253bda6f28ad

This is how i have my Nova S,it have firewpower,a lot,however i need to be careful with heat,because mostly times i need to autoshutdown when my heat reaches limit. I have unlocked the heat dissipation skill and maximum heat before shutdown skill and still i have problems. There is no other way to decrease heat??? Maybe with a module??? The Nova S have heat dissipation as passive and pulse laser dissipation too,however i need to change to normal small lasers due the quicker heat higher lvls with small pulse lasers,because shoot quicker by his cooldown.

I really like the Nova,normally i kill 1 mech in every encounter,making suicidal actions of course. Im machine gun lover (im LittleKong with new account) and those weapons help me to destroy hurt mechs,while lasers destroy external armor and flamers....i think ive put flamers for increase the heat of enemy mech,but im not sure.

Also,on smurfy webpage with that loadout (the linked one) says that heat dissipation is 88%,that is good,however in game,shows 1.06 over 2 heat dissipation. So maybe smurfy is not updated or something is wrong. And well,talking fo the mech,is much better than Urbanmech,but it have the problem of heat,i think that for high rate of burst damage describes that loadout of this mech. Ive killed a King Crab solo,shooting at his back. Imagine the firepower that have this mech,but i usually go to hurt eemy mech for finish the work of others. Sometimes doing suicidal actions,but at least i gain a lot of skill exp when i kill an enemy mech.

Well,i think that Nova would be my definitive mech for start and the first to master to elite. The game style of light mech and medium mech are different,since enemyes target u when u play medium,while when u play light,enemyes target major friendly mechs. So now,playing medium mech and the heat problem is little more difficult to play.however im very happy with the game now,i know my role and i start to do good work on battlefield. One of the last games ive did 450 points and one kill,that is not bad for start.

Well,seems that the game played with lights doesnt remember me,so im looking for a clan house clan,preferably Ghost Bears,but i enjoy any other. Or maybe mercenary clan,without joined any house. Of course i dont want to do clan wars atm because i only have 1 mech,so im focusing of public matches.

Im mature,i have 29 years old and im from Spain. Also i dont want desesperately a clan,but when enemy have friends and know how to play i have disadvantage. Well see u in game and long life to MWO!!! :D

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:06 PM

At a quick glance (and I didn't exactly read the whole post, sorry), I'd say it's those Flamers. I presume when you shoot them you just hold them down and leave them on while engaged? They will shoot your heat way up.

Flamers are not in a very good state right now, so I'd replace them with something else. However, if you do want to use flamers, they do have their uses. Use them to bling your opponent, shove the flamers into their faces. Also, if you don't want to crisp yourself, chain fire your flamers on a separate weapon group. As long as you don't shoot the flamers consistently and non-stop, you can actually cool down while using them. Flicker them.

For flamer use, you've already gone on a good start. Now, you just need to chain fire them. Flamers have a strange mechanic where, the longer you hold them on, the more heat they produce. A single flamer can overheat your own mech if you just leave it on, given long enough. When flickered, it resets this heat buildup timer, and actually lets them produce little to no heat.

Another bonus from your loadout with chain fired flamers is, they are on each arm. This will result in a strobe effect as the flamers shoot from one arm to another. Combined with blinding an opponent, it will also disorient them.

Personally speaking though, I'd replace those flamers with two additional CERSLs and an additional heat sink.

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

So, Flamers. I beleive Koniving has a video showing a stalker loaded with heatsinks and one flamer burning itself to death. Problem is, the longer the flamers burn, the more heat they add to ya. So, as mentioned, you can chain fire em, or just place em on thier own weapon group an use short controlled bursts when the enemy's trying to aim.

If you've any further questions, ask away. Oh, an I'll leave this here for ya in case you need any ideas. https://vimeo.com/150313748

~Leone.

#4 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

Suggested changes?

#5 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostTetule, on 29 December 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

I just puked a bit then swallowed.

#6 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

If you click on the Weapon Lab button above the paper doll you''ll see some stats, like damage, range, and how long you can shoot without over heating. Your second build will never overheat but comes with a draw back. The range of your damage is rather short and you'll have to get in close to your targets to hit them.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 29 December 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#7 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

Those are very underwhelming nova.... in both links posted.

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:37 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 29 December 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

Very constructive comment there... So constructive I don't know how to take it.

FYI: I was trying to work with his build already, without anything too drastic. Personally, I'd mix more longer ranged weapons into a build. Then again, I also like my Nova Prime near stock... Posted Image

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

When I look at that build, I don't see anything objectively wrong with its heat management. Maybe the flamer, because as other people have explained, it causes exponential heat gain over time.

Put it simply, flamers are absolutely shocking in game. They're not worth their tonnage nor their heat.

From the rest of your build, it seems like you want to jump in with that nova and do enormous short-range damage in a short time. Big alphas are good, yes?

NVA-S ERSL/SRM brawler

SRMs allow you to alpha in a big way while avoiding ghost heat. Since a Nova was never designed for long-duration engagements (it always had more weapons than was good for it), you want to dish out as much damage as you can, then hoofing it out of there. MGs are facetime weapons, which isn't exactly good for a Nova sticking to this idea. 6 ERSL keeps under the ghost heat limit, and 2 SRM6 adds a lower heat punch. Zoom from cover to cover, dumping damage as you do so.

Clan Active Probe should really be carried by a streakboat, since you have no lock-on weapons. With the ECM bubble size reduction, it's now possible to lock onto an ECM holder anyway without a CAP by staying at around 250m. Use a TComp Mk. 1 instead for better bonuses to your ERSLs.

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 29 December 2015 - 09:51 PM.

#10 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

You should drop the active probe and atleast half your machine gun ammo. Replace flamers with a better energy weapon.

Maybe a quad mlas setup with a pair of smalls.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:12 PM

View PostArcturusWolf, on 29 December 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

I could get behind this one. My only qualm with it is how heavily weaponized one arm is. I'd almost prefer having the weapons spread out a tiny bit more. Being a newer player and all, they might not understand a lopsided build and shielding with the other side.

Otherwise, looks solid to me. Posted Image

#12 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

Remove the flamers, they are a garbage weapon that only increases your own heat and doesn't really do much else.

Take out the cAP, you really don't need it.

You have way too much machine gun ammo.

You don't have enough firepower.

Try this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...25e53e4bd2cb564

It's not the best build in the world, but it should be great for a beginner, and it's similar to what you already have. You'll need to change your arms to the NVA-Prime omnipods to get the extra hardpoints. This build excels at very short range combat, so you need to lay in wait for an enemy to come into close range or you need to go on the prowl and catch somebody off guard (the latter is more difficult and will get you killed more often than not). The trick with many-laser builds like this, is to never fire more than 6 lasers at one time. 6 is the limit before you incur a heat penalty, and the heat penalty is measured every 0.5 seconds. So as long as you fire both arms separately (you only need to space them out by a half-second) you'll never get the heat penalty.

Another build you can do is this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4785dc1e1dab8e1

With this build you don't have to use the NVA-Prime omnipods, you can use the NVA-S arms that come with your mech. This build has a bit more range, so you don't have to worry about getting into super close range to use it, and it doesn't ever incur a heat penalty because it only equips 6 lasers.

#13 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 29 December 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

Come on, sir. He's new, and doesn't know better. Help him out, or at least be nice.

View PostArcturusWolf, on 29 December 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

When I look at that build, I don't see anything objectively wrong with its heat management. Maybe the flamer, because as other people have explained, it causes exponential heat gain over time.

Put it simply, flamers are absolutely shocking in game. They're not worth their tonnage nor their heat.

From the rest of your build, it seems like you want to jump in with that nova and do enormous short-range damage in a short time. Big alphas are good, yes?

NVA-S ERSL/SRM brawler

SRMs allow you to alpha in a big way while avoiding ghost heat. Since a Nova was never designed for long-duration engagements (it always had more weapons than was good for it), you want to dish out as much damage as you can, then hoofing it out of there. MGs are facetime weapons, which isn't exactly good for a Nova sticking to this idea. 6 ERSL keeps under the ghost heat limit, and 2 SRM6 adds a lower heat punch. Zoom from cover to cover, dumping damage as you do so.

Clan Active Probe should really be carried by a streakboat, since you have no lock-on weapons. With the ECM bubble size reduction, it's now possible to lock onto an ECM holder anyway without a CAP by staying at around 250m. Use a TComp Mk. 1 instead for better bonuses to your ERSLs.
This is a great option for a newer player. It's a solid, fairly easy to use build that can hit hard, and the post is chock full of good info.

#14 Tetule

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys,i erased flamers from my arsenal and put small pulse lasers instead of small lasers and it works fine for me now,last game ive did 2 kills and 550 score. The heat is not more a problem :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users