Thoughts On Assault Mastery Bundles.

Help Me

28 replies to this topic

#1 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:02 PM

I've got a nice chunk of MC and am wondering if i should buy a Assault mastery bundle since i'm wanting to get into CW. I was thinking of getting the Stalker or Victor Bundle. Also would there be any medium mastery bundle i should look at? (i perfer fast, agile mechs but am willing to shake things up)

#2 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

Assault? Yes. Stalker, without a freakin' doubt.

Medium? OH FFS YES MATE! Blackjack is the current hotness in IS mediums. Bought it today myself. (Already had BASIC skills complete on BJ-1 and BJ-3, from a couple years ago.) Arrow is alright. BJ-1(C) is beast with that AC/20 and the mech's quirks. BJ-3 is fun, too. THEN, go buy a BJ-1X and HOLY FREAKING BALLS! In my first three drops in it, I set a personal best for kills in back-to-back drops, and for kills in a loss. Blackjack may just supplant the Shadow Cat as my favorite medium, and that is saying something (the BJ-1X is actually FASTER than the SHC, MASC notwithstanding; 295 engine cap means 106.x without speed tweak, 114-ish with). Arrow, -1, and -3 all have JJ capability. And while the speed isn't spectacular with a 235 engine cap, it works. You could even run a Gauss and 4x ML in a BJ-1DC, and have roughly pre-nerf Gauss cooldown without modules. And WITH? ~3.5 second cooldown and a Smurfy 42-ish percent HE with the fun-button taped down. Blackjack is STUPID good right now.

#3 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

Got 3 Bj already. DC, X and J3.

Yeah i was thinking of stalker. I was also looking at the Victor for assaults. Got any other recommendations for mediums. I was thinking of getting the Raven bundle for something new.

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

I bought the RVN bundle a while back. Already had the -3L MASTERed, but may as well get the -3L(C) and more CBills, right? Had ELITE open on the -4X, and it's a good light mech. Not GREAT, but good. And the HUGINN? Well, for what it is, it's a freakin' MONSTER. Pre-re-re-rebalance re-re-requirkening, it had a sum of like 50% reduction in SRM-4 cooldown, which was NUTS. It's still like 30% cumulative reduction, I think, or something close. Not QUITE as quick. Fast, jumpy, with fast-firing SRMs and MG range buff. It's a pretty crazy bird. I approve. Might be just as well to buy the HUGINN and -3L(C) separately on sale, though. If you like 'em, then CBill-buy a -4X. Unless you really want that much more Premium Time.

Mediums for someone who likes mobility? Damn. I WAS gonna suggest the Hunchbacks, but they're not what you call 'quick'. Cicada is kinda weak, IMO. Enforcer, maybe? Do they have a mastery pack for that? I tried out the ENF trial mech a few days ago, for kicks, and it wasn't bad at all. Until/unless they get resized, I'm opposed to the GRF/WVR/SHD mechs. I bought in the full Monty with Project Phoenix, and was underwhelmed by most of it (LOVED my LOLcusts, though!). Some folks have a soft spot for those chassis and can make them work, and that's great for them. I can't stand 'em, really. I stood a SHD next to an AS7 once, and they were THE SAME HEIGHT. Yeah, only a 45-ton difference between them, no bigs. DAFUQ?

I dunno, playa. Blackjack was my one great idea. Failing that, I'd have to go with either heavy or light. And with your stated interest in mobility, more likely light.

#5 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:19 PM

well i'm wanting more heavier mechs for CW. So that's why with the sale and extra MC per MC bundle i was looking at maybe a Assault or Heavy mastery bundle.

#6 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

I wouldn't spend MC on any mech I can buy with CBills. Now buying the 1/2 is a great option if you like Stalkers. Heck. It was the first mech to get labeled as P2W.

#7 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:09 AM

What makes the Stalker special?

Also would there be any medium mechs that'd make a decent LRM boat?

#8 ParsaManne

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:27 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 27 December 2015 - 01:09 AM, said:

What makes the Stalker special?

Also would there be any medium mechs that'd make a decent LRM boat?

Stalkers have great hitboxes if you are running standard engines in them. You rarely get CT death before you have lost atleast one sidetorso. They also have great arm energy mounts that are high mounted.
As for LRM mediums Kintaros and Trebs are rather good for that but Hunchback 4J is the best possible LRM platform around.

Edited by ParsaManne, 27 December 2015 - 01:28 AM.

#9 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:12 AM

View PostParsaManne, on 27 December 2015 - 01:27 AM, said:

Stalkers have great hitboxes if you are running standard engines in them. You rarely get CT death before you have lost atleast one sidetorso. They also have great arm energy mounts that are high mounted.
As for LRM mediums Kintaros and Trebs are rather good for that but Hunchback 4J is the best possible LRM platform around.

which Treb and Kintaro variants?

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:38 AM

I agree about the Stalker, while it is slow (to slow for me to get much enjoyment out of it) it is exceptionaly durable and many players can get amazing scores using it, it can do energy boat, LRM boat or SRM brawler (provided you can get into range) pretty effectively

as for mediums, I recommend:
the Cicada (basically an oversize light)
the Blackjack (a miniature fire support Mech),
the Centurion a great all rounder,
the Hunchback (one of the best Mechs to learn on, each chassis is focused on a different weapon type so with the mastery pack you get a laser boat, a missile boat and a ballistic Mech capable of playing brawler or sniper, has one of the best torso twist ranges in the game, cheep to outfit as it works best with standard engines)
the Shadow Hawk, (similar to a HBK with Jumpjets, a a much lower twist range and a higher engine cap)
the Griffin (lasers and missiles, extremely durable with a standard engine but can also take an XL, can be fast, can jump, almost as good torso twist as the HBK)

#11 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:50 AM

got the BJ's and Cicada's got 2/3 Cents. I'm warming up to the idea of a Hunchback. Got a mate with Griffs and he likes them. No sure about a Shadow Hawk.

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

To me, the best deals on mastery bundles on mediums are the cicada, and shadow hawks.. Mainly due to the engines they come with. They are also fine mechs, with nice heroes

#13 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

Trebuchet: -3C, -5N, -7M/-7M(C), all have decent missile quirks. -7K gets ballistic quirks. -5J and hero variant get the laser/energy quirks. Good assortment. Getting the mastery pack means getting good laser and missile boat variants of the chassis. Not sure what the standard variant in that pack is, and I'm too lazy to look it up. Also, the -3C has an increased engine size cap, from 325 to 390, so there's some room to make a fast lurmisher with it.

Kintaro? Milder quirks. KTO-18, I think, used to be a GREAT light hunter when loaded with SSRM-2s and MLs. PRETTY sure it was the -18 (which has a Champion variant). Golden Boy? You gotta already be a fan of the chassis to like it, or so I'm told. Never spent a single CBill on that chassis, doubt I ever will. Also, KTO-18 and -19 have missile bay doors for the CT, according to Smurfy. So, a 10% reduction to damage to forward CT when they're closed, or something like that. Hell, who knows? I suppose if I wanted, I could look up patch notes from 2012 and find out for sure, but nah. Just check the game manual....

F**K!

#14 ParsaManne

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 27 December 2015 - 03:12 AM, said:

which Treb and Kintaro variants?

I haven´t really played any trebs but all Kintaros can use missiles rather effectively, KTO-18 being the best variant of the three Kintaros for SRM or LRM boating thanks to five missile slots. Other variants can take more lasers or bigger launchers instead.

#15 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

I read another thread that basically reminded: "If you are buying it for the OP quirks it has today, be prepared for when they re-balance those quirks in a couple months".

Just something to keep in mind.

#16 ParsaManne

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

View PostGotShotALot, on 29 December 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

I read another thread that basically reminded: "If you are buying it for the OP quirks it has today, be prepared for when they re-balance those quirks in a couple months".

Just something to keep in mind.

That is universal truth when it comes to free to play games, many seem to forget that though.

#17 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:20 PM

So i'm thinking of getting either the Griffin, Hunchback and Shadow hawk mastery bundle. i mainly prefer faster lighter mechs but playing the marauder has gotten me interested in other play styles.

#18 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

Can't go wrong with the Stalker.

Thunderbolts are next best. The Hero Top Dog is an under-appreciated all-star thanks to its 25% energy range quirk.

I thought I'd love Griffins ... but didn't due to the fact that they are short-ranged. Long- and medium-ranged Mechs will kill you from a distance before you get to do much damage up close. Blame the meta.

I have a soft spot for the Shadowhawk as it is versatile and tanky for its tonnage. The cockpit view is a bit restrictive, however, and the Hero Grey Death is more all-rounder than min-maxed.

Edited by Appogee, 29 December 2015 - 11:25 PM.

#19 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

View PostAppogee, on 29 December 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

Can't go wrong with the Stalker.

Thunderbolts are next best. The Hero Top Dog is an under-appreciated all-star thanks to its 25% energy range quirk.

I thought I'd love Griffins ... but didn't due to the fact that they are short-ranged. Long- and medium-ranged Mechs will kill you from a distance before you get to do much damage up close. Blame the meta.

I have a soft spot for the Shadowhawk as it is versatile and tanky for its tonnage. The cockpit view is a bit restrictive, however, and the Hero Grey Death is more all-rounder than min-maxed.

Okay. I'd be happy to go Shadow hawk since their a all rounder.

#20 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:08 AM

View PostLupis Volk, on 29 December 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

Okay. I'd be happy to go Shadow hawk since their a all rounder.

I should have mentioned the Hunchback. Lots of people swear by them, they are an iconic Mech, and there's lots of different versions. Most rely on their quirks to be effective, and I still find them quite squishy vs Shadowhawks. The Hero Grid Iron is a one-trick-pony (Gauss) which got savagely nerfed during the last quirk pass, but is still serviceable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users