#1 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hi All,

Looking for some good build ideas for this chassis, do not necessarily have to be full meta which for this mech seems hard due to it being all energy. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

Here, this should be relatively fun and tanky:

TDR-5S

Not really meta, but takes advantage of the LL quirks by having three of them. I'd say run them on chainfire, because (like any heavy) it'll run hot.

Alternatively, the meta build goes something like this:

TDR-5S

Runs cooler and slower. Depends on tastes.

Thuds are good mechs, but don't get cocky in them: they're still a 65 ton IS Heavy.

#3 BD RAIDR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

I believe spottie is asking for Top Dog builds.

If I remember correctly, it has decent struc quirks, perfect for brawling... I run mine like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...66aae861563890c

Edited by F6Pete, 29 December 2015 - 08:57 AM.

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,890 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:01 AM

Topdog gave me issues too. Easiest was to run it as another 5SS (25% range quirk is pretty nice, but not quite as nice as the 5SS), but it felt wrong. Tried mixed laser builds and finally ended up with a std 300, max armor, a LPL in the arm and 8SPL with 18 DHS. Ends up at 64.7 tons. Alas.

Not good for long range engagement but the engine gets you into brawling range fairly quickly. I know it is not an "ideal" mix but it was the only thing that I could come up with that didn't match or mimic the load-outs I run on Grasshoppers or Black Knights.

Edited by Bud Crue, 29 December 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#5 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

I was talking about the Topdog, but thanks for the 5S builds might try those on my 5S(P).

Have not tried MPLAS that looks like it would be wicked in close, how's the heat?

Going to try your build as well Bud Crue. Thanks!

#6 L a S e R

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

Grasshopper runs the pulse boat so much better.... JJs and torso and head hardpoints can be hard to beat

#7 BD RAIDR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:32 PM

The mpl build heats up quickly. I have the weapons in 2 groups, 4 and 3. I usually throw an alpha or two first, then use either group on its own for extended brawls depending on the temperature of the map.

The heat dissipation is pretty good, so when there's a pause in the fighting it will cool down fairly quickly. It'll really shine when you've elited the Top Dog.

A friend and I run our Top Dogs the same and together, and we focus things down quickly. It's a lot of fun.

You could also try a 3 lpl build, but the TDR-9SE does that a lot better thanks to quirks. If you don't have the 9SE, I recommend it: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...daa012d27ef39d8

Edited by F6Pete, 29 December 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#8 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

See this review which is not mine, you'll find my build in the comment section.

#9 BD RAIDR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

That's a good build, Rhialto.

There's also 2 erll and 4 ml build, still running the std 300 engine. More of a fire support mech. High mount the erlls on the right side torso. Use the mls pretty much exclusively in closer range, the cooldown and laser duration allows for better dps than the erll as well as less face time with the enemy to protect the torso.

#10 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:13 AM

Rhialto,

That is a great and informative review, thanks! Been running the 3llas x 3mlas that seems that everyone else is running except moved one to arm mount but seems that everyone knows that build now and takes out my rt even when twisting, haven't figured that one out yet. Think I will start with the first build and work my way down although I don't seem to play the all mplas builds very well.

#11 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

Played the 9 mpls build and man is that baby hot! How do you manage your heat? Best I can do is fire 3x3x3 then when hot disengage to cool down, this does not work well when being focused however. Liked the 2lplas x 4mlas build seemed to be more forgiving. 2llas x 6mlas was meh for me. What do y'all think of the 4xerllas sniper builds?

Thanks for all the help!

#12 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

View PostF6Pete, on 29 December 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

I believe spottie is asking for Top Dog builds.

If I remember correctly, it has decent struc quirks, perfect for brawling... I run mine like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...66aae861563890c

Ohhhhhhh...derp. Yeah, Top Dog gave me more issues than I thought I'd have with a Thud that's stuffed full of energy hardpoints. Still, this is a pretty good build:

TOP DOG

I include AMS on every mech I can, but I suppose you could pull it if you wanted a pulse laser in the arm or something. Think of it like an AC40 Jag, but you have to expose more of yourself and you don't have to worry about ammo.

I've tried the Meta build (3LL, 3ML), but it never felt like it clicked for me.

Edited by Dawnstealer, 31 December 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#13 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

I run a basically stock one, just with Endosteel, which allowed me to replace the LRM15 (and SRM 2) with an A-LRM20+more ammo.
So in the end it's, 1xLL, 3xML, 1xA-LRM-20, 2xMG.

Seems to do fine enough in my tier (in solo Q, for CW i use metabuilt 9S and 9SE)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users