16 replies to this topic

#1 Noey Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:19 AM

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I really am loving this game! I was a competitive FPS player (PC) for years and have fallen out of love with the playstyle and the playership involved with faster paced games. Coming to MWO, I see that the game offers a platform for amazing teamwork potential and coordination, which I seek greatly.

Moving on, there seems to be some serious issues with balance and whatever hidden ELO or MMR system is in place, in the first 40~ games or so that I played, I was able to support a great W/L ratio of about 3-1 and a KDR of ~2.1, however now in both group queue with my partner and in solo queue I am consistently placed on the losing team and getting rolled without any hope of winning. This is atrocious and very discouraging, I am now floating a 47 to 50 win loss ratio, with a 1.36 KDR and while I continually pull my own weight, it's frustrating to not see any communication or modicum of reasoning behind an entire teams worth of players, versus coordinated and focused teams.

I'd like to ask A. is individual MMR taken to account for the entire scale of the matchmaking system? or is the average taken as a whole? ((Ergo, is the team comprised of individuals who have like MMR's, or are the teams balanced based on the average of the MMR's of the entire team??)) If it is the latter, then this brings rise to many serious issues in regards to matchmaking, namely the range of skill across an entire team could reach 'any' extreme, so long as the averages of both teams are comparable; and with 12 people per team, that adds a massive amount of variability.

I'm deeply concerned about this as, while thus far I have been playing at an above average level; I am still a new player and feel quite influenced by the radical change my experience with this game has undergone. Did I gain a high enough MMR that I am now being used to balance out a team primarily comprised of low MMR players?

At any rate, I'm not here just to complain, I'd like to know more about how this system works, and how I can avoid this absolutely atrocious experience further. I don't need to win to have fun, and I've seen some posters allude to joining a unit as a prime alternative to going bald and replacing desks. however I'm at a complete loss as to how to accomplish this... there seems to be no global social center in the game, and no real way to communicate with the rest of the playership outside of the match, how can we find a unit to run with?

#2 Raubwurst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:57 AM

Greetings and a late "Welcome" to MWO.
The matchmaking considers your tier level (can be seen in the main menu ingame).
Maybe you have got into tier 4 by now (you star at 5). If so, you can be matches with and against players of tier 5,4,3 and 2.
Tier 2 are a lot of good players, thus it can happen, that you will be placed against a lot of them, which will be a harder experience, than your avarage Tier 4 or 5 player.

If the MatchMaker(MM) counts avarage or total level of tiers for both teams in not known. PGI (the guys and girls behind MWO) haven't told us everything about their MM, as far as I know.

But let give your numbers a look. You said, that you had a KD of 3:1. That is pretty good indeed, but that, obviously, says, that you won, by far, more games than you lost. Thus you will most like have reached a point, where your KD is trying to go back to 1.
If you have fair games between both teams, an avarage of 1 should be normal.
You have won a great many of games and now you are losing some, seems normal for me.
But I know this, there are days, where you just lose every round and this can be highly frustrating... Heads up, these phases normaly don't take long.

A another thing is the groupqueue. This is very much harder, than your soloqueue. If you are nit used to it, you will be surprised and defeatet. The level of communication there is by far higher, thus requires other playstiles.

To the communication-thing:
ahave sou tried to communicate with your team to make up the lack of their involvement?
There is VoIP and Team Chat. Not every command and suggestion will be followed, but taking the lead, especially via VoIP, will increase your teams performance greatly.

As for communication outside the game: Welcome to the forum, here you can get into touch with a lot players. There are forums and topics for every aspect you would like to talk about.
Units can be found and gotten into first contact here, too. Have a look here:
http://mwomercs.com/...uitment-forums/

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:05 AM

here is how matchmaker works (or as close to as we have been able to determine)
each player has a "Player Skill Level" your level goes up or down based on how you perform, if you loose a game with a match score (note score not damage) of below (I think) 250 you loose points, above (I think) 450 on a loss and you gain points.
on a win you cannot loose points, and above something like 250 match score you go up, over about 450 you go up more
when you rise above or fall below a certain number of points your level goes up or down.

you start at t5 the lowest, your first few matches have a much higher multiplier than normal, this is so if a highly skilled veteran player creates a new account they will not be up against new players for too long

in solo queue you can face players from up-to 3 sequential tiers, so for a t5 player you could be up against t5, t4, and t3 players, a t3 player could be up against tiers 5-3, 4-2, or 1-3 players

in group queue you can face up against anyone, as it averages your groups tier, so if your team consists of 3 t5 players and 1 t1 player you would, depending on the makeup of the rest of the team, likely be playing with teams averaged at t4, the T1 player may well be able to demolish half the enemy team but the sheer numbers would likely crush him

what has likely happened is you have been doing so well in your first few matches that you progressed into tier 3 or perhaps even tier 2, so the enemy players are as good as you or maybe better, hence the strategies that got you out of the lower tiers are not as effective (or even totally useless) against the better players. if you keep loosing you will eventually drop down to a lower tier where you can win again, or you may improve to allow you to hold your own in your current higher tier.

#4 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:25 AM

Solo Queue is more "selfsih" with some players of any Tier thinking of themselves rather than the team.
Group Queue is more group oriented favoring larger groups since they play more together thus work better as a team.
Based on your OP, you should probably get some people you discover in game on your Friends List so when you play, you can try to group with them for Group Queue more often thus will play in the manner you wish. There are topics around where you can find Units you might like to join that have regular scheduled playtimes.

#5 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:27 AM

If MWO grows enough a player base they could implement in tier match making , but as it stands tiers are there only so that tier 5 and 4 are protected from playing against tier 1 , and that's it , the match making is balanced by an average PSR ( player skill rating ) on both teams ( the line in under the tier is an actual number used for MM ) , so it still happens that a high tier 2 player that is almost tier 1 can get a low tier 4 player to make an average 2 players of tier 3 .. and we know that is not real balance, as 2 semi competent players are often better then 1 above average player and one dead weight ....

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:49 AM

View PostKittenkawa11, on 31 December 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

[...] in the first 40~ games or so that I played, I was able to support a great W/L ratio of about 3-1 and a KDR of ~2.1, however now in both group queue with my partner and in solo queue I am consistently placed on the losing team and getting rolled without any hope of winning. This is atrocious and very discouraging, I am now floating a 47 to 50 win loss ratio, with a 1.36 KDR and while I continually pull my own weight, it's frustrating to not see any communication or modicum of reasoning behind an entire teams worth of players, versus coordinated and focused teams.
[...]

Wellcome to the MWO school of hard knocks.Posted Image
Forget what you think is "knowledge of FPS games" Posted Image , abandon all hope and expectations.

If you notice your W/L and K/D ratio going down to a 50 % or slightly below 50% ratio it means the elo system is functioning as intended.
This just means you are now matched versus equal enemys and the question if you getting eaten or beeig the eater now boils down to pure luck ( in PuG at least ).
You just cant controll factors like matching chassis and loadouts to map and playstyle of your enemys and friends. And since your team consist of an averange equal PSR rating of players matched to an other averange equal Rating......yea ( 10 + 4 + 2 ) = ( 6 + 6 + 4)
You get my meaning ?

This also means if you want to advance any further you need to learn.
Best way of learning is to join a unit on voicecoms and getting organized and coordinated by yourself.
If you don't want to....well you'll stay in Puglandia....and you already know what life is like in there. Posted Image

Welcome to MWO

Edited by The Basilisk, 31 December 2015 - 05:55 AM.

#7 Noey Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

Thank you very much for the input everyone, and I suppose it's relieving to hear that this is somewhat 'normal' though absurd in it's own right from my perspective! the Pilot skill rating system makes sense and the next time I get into game I'll have to take a look at it.

it's interesting to experience vastly different gaming styles, I went from master's ranking in laddering in starcraft 2, to heavy FPS play, and it's truly been a joy to encounter and learn so many different subjectively different ways to quantify 'skill'. I suppose it's easy to forget that skill 'is' subjective and it will take different skill sets to accomplish the same achievements I might have created for myself in different games and platforms.

That being said, I'll pay closer attention to variables that I can personally control and try to learn how to approach my issues from the perspective of the student. Also, I suppose I should probably try to ignore my KDR and W/L Ratio and find better ways to quantify and mark success based on the role(s) I choose to play as.

This does lead me to ask; how can I pursue joining a unit? Having a source of guidance to help develop the 'appropriate' skills would be one of the best ways I could imagine to pick my way into improving. Plus, as I said before, I don't necessarily need to win to have fun, but contributing to a team that has a common goal would at least feel much better than the effort in futility that I've been experiencing lately!

#8 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

Well to find a unit you will need to use TS and not be too shy about speaking to strangers, there are quite a bit of those... , and go to any of the numerous TS servers of units or HUBs of units, like the voip01.n1585.hypernia.net:9992 NGNG ts server , hop in several times , more so when there are people on ( mostly american times ) and ask around, most are friendly types and will tell you about unit sites that are recruiting and can tell you more about what they expect.
As you might expect there are casual units that just give you access to a bunch of players of various skill levels to play with to units that do regular 2 hour practices 3 evening a week , those that mainly do group drops for fun to those that compete in player run tournaments and those that specialize in community warfare like merc star.

Though many higher level teams will need you to have a stable of metamechs if you are interested in tournament play or community warfare, and that is ether a big grind or a not so small bit of $ to get to that point fast, and as you might think it takes a lot of skill and knowledge, so it's good to find a unit that would train you or at least if you are a fast learner to find some good role models to play group drops with.

To be honest all units are looking for good quality talent , but few of the new ones stick around long enough to grind out what they need, and as the population is older than the average game, there are a lot less dedicated MWO players that do not have long jobs , family and declining reflexes, while willing to run the same few top level mechs weeks on end, to compete to the few that are free and dedicated.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 31 December 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#9 Alexffm

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

matchmaker cannot work with this low playerbase..so high tier placed against or with low tier..so the matchmaker is an an nice dream from pgi

#10 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostKittenkawa11, on 31 December 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Also, I suppose I should probably try to ignore my KDR and W/L Ratio and find better ways to quantify and mark success based on the role(s) I choose to play as.

That's a wise thing to say. KD and WL are not really indicating a good player in MWO :)

There a hundreds of units out there, waiting for new players. As I stated above, have a look here:
http://mwomercs.com/...uitment-forums/
There are the links to the different faction and unit overviews. Although this may help, you still have to browse for a unit suitable to you, by yourself.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostKittenkawa11, on 31 December 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

how can I pursue joining a unit? Having a source of guidance to help develop the 'appropriate' skills would be one of the best ways I could imagine to pick my way into improving. Plus, as I said before, I don't necessarily need to win to have fun, but contributing to a team that has a common goal would at least feel much better than the effort in futility that I've been experiencing lately!

the Comunity Warfare Forums are a good place to start looking for a unit, Community Warfare, now referred to ingame as Faction Play is the 10 factions fighting for control of the Inner Sphere of the galaxy, there are 2 main groups of factions, Clan and Inner Sphere, there are also Mercenary corporations, who take contracts from the individual factions

here are links to the various recruitment forums, further down is a breif explanation of the faction types to help you make an informed decision
http://mwomercs.com/...s-inner-sphere/
http://mwomercs.com/...factions-clans/
http://mwomercs.com/...ons-merc-corps/

when you are ready to join a unit I strongly recomend visiting a few units websites to determine if the unit will be a good fit.
I am part of an international Merc Corp who are more than happy to help train other players, if you are interested there is a link in my signature

the Clans are descended from the Star League defense force who left the Inner Sphere after the fall of the Star League, over almost 300 years they have developed new technologies, according to Battletech lore they are a warrior based society focused on personal honor, some want to defend the IS from internal threats by conquering it (crusaders), others want to defend it from external threats from a distance (wardens.
for more information look here: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clans
if you are under contract to a Clan faction you can only use Clan Mechs for faction play, but regular solo or group games you can still use any Mech
Clan Mechs (cannot be used by the Inner Sphere factions in faction play)
Light
Mist Lynx, Arctic Cheetah, Kit Fox, Adder, Jenner-IIC
Medium
Ice Ferret, Shadow Cat, Nova, Hunchback-IIC, Stormcrow
Heavy
Mad Dog, Helbringer, Ebon Jaguar, Summoner, Timber Wolf, Orion-IIC
Assualt
Gargoyle, Warhawk, Executioner, Highlander-IIC Dire Wolf

the Inner Sphere factions have over the last few centuries fought a series of devastating "succession wars" to decide who should take the position of "First Lord of the Star League", those conflicts almost reduced the IS back to the stone age, much technoligy had become lost, Mechs an Jumpships (needed for interstellar travel) could only be built at automated factories. in the last 30 years some of this LostTech has been recovered.
the Inner Sphere factions are
House Davion, House Steiner, House Marek, House Kurita, House Liao and the newly formed Free Rasslehague Republic
for further details look here: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inner_Sphere
Inner Sphere Mechs (cannot be used by the Clan factions in faction play)
Light
Locust, Commando, Urbanmech, Spider, Firestarter, Jenner, Panther, Raven, Wolfhound
Medium
Cicada, Blackjack, Vindicator, Centurion, Crab, Enforcer, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Griffin, Kintaro, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine
Heavy
Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult, Jagermech, Thunderbolt, Cataphract, Grasshopper, Black Knight, Marauder, Orion, (coming soon, Warhammer, Rifleman, Archer)
Assault
Awesome, Victor, Zeus, Battlemaster, Stalker, Highlander, Mauler, Banshee, Atlas, King Crab.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 31 December 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#12 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostKittenkawa11, on 31 December 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I really am loving this game! I was a competitive FPS player (PC) for years and have fallen out of love with the playstyle and the playership involved with faster paced games. Coming to MWO, I see that the game offers a platform for amazing teamwork potential and coordination, which I seek greatly.

Moving on, there seems to be some serious issues with balance and whatever hidden ELO or MMR system is in place, in the first 40~ games or so that I played, I was able to support a great W/L ratio of about 3-1 and a KDR of ~2.1, however now in both group queue with my partner and in solo queue I am consistently placed on the losing team and getting rolled without any hope of winning. This is atrocious and very discouraging, I am now floating a 47 to 50 win loss ratio, with a 1.36 KDR and while I continually pull my own weight, it's frustrating to not see any communication or modicum of reasoning behind an entire teams worth of players, versus coordinated and focused teams.

I'd like to ask A. is individual MMR taken to account for the entire scale of the matchmaking system? or is the average taken as a whole? ((Ergo, is the team comprised of individuals who have like MMR's, or are the teams balanced based on the average of the MMR's of the entire team??)) If it is the latter, then this brings rise to many serious issues in regards to matchmaking, namely the range of skill across an entire team could reach 'any' extreme, so long as the averages of both teams are comparable; and with 12 people per team, that adds a massive amount of variability.

I'm deeply concerned about this as, while thus far I have been playing at an above average level; I am still a new player and feel quite influenced by the radical change my experience with this game has undergone. Did I gain a high enough MMR that I am now being used to balance out a team primarily comprised of low MMR players?

At any rate, I'm not here just to complain, I'd like to know more about how this system works, and how I can avoid this absolutely atrocious experience further. I don't need to win to have fun, and I've seen some posters allude to joining a unit as a prime alternative to going bald and replacing desks. however I'm at a complete loss as to how to accomplish this... there seems to be no global social center in the game, and no real way to communicate with the rest of the playership outside of the match, how can we find a unit to run with?

What you experience is usual and has been complained at for a long time now. The publisher has changed his matchmaker algorithm plenty of times, it never became better tho, newbies complain in the forum and fanbois tell them they just suck and have to become better.
That's also a reason why the player base is so small here: Many give up in frustration after being stomped in most matches and only seldom experience a good match with a close win or loss.
Other games know a PvE mode where new ones can enjoy, practice and level before joining PvP, MWO does not. You are just kicked into your first match with bloody no clue about anything (the new tutorial is still a joke).
The only way to survive the constant frustration is finding friends here and go with them in an unit. Solo queue is just a frustrating pain in the /\ss on the long run.

#13 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

If your playing PUG's,, have an even win/loss ratio is completely normal.. the game pushes it to make it so, meaning.. If you want to win, you need to carry more..

group is a completely different beast.. If you wan't to be competitive in the group que, you need to field a full group. Joining a unit is the best bet, or just trying to add friends, or using the group search tool

lastly, your first 40 matches, you were on the winning side, meaning you had an easier time.. it for a good player FPS player, it is pretty easy to push matches with lower tier players in your favor.. I just made a second account, and my first 25 matches my numbers were very similar to yours.. now after 150+ (on new account, win/loss is about even and my KDR dropped to about 2.2

once you raise up in tiers, being able to solo the groups and pulling 5-6 kills, and getting 700-1k damage every match is just not going going to happen. You can still have good matches, but not every match is going to be like that. A 300 damage, with 5-8 assists can be common, as you are playing with better players.

Again group cue is a different beast.. and a 2 man joining a group can be a disaster more often than not. The game is made for large groups, or Solo cue.. But coming soon, 4 man drops are coming to the Clan wars.. soo at least you will have that option for small groups Posted Image

my suggestion is to goto the unit forums, and look for a casual group, or a group willing to train.. there are lots of groups that can fill either need. some will encourage you to play what you like.. Others will wan't only meta mechs.. which you join is up to you.

Edited by JC Daxion, 31 December 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#14 Noey Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

I've managed to get into a unit thanks to the assistance from everyone in this thread! That's proven to be very helpful, I will say though that i"m still in an extreme losing streak, my pilot skill rating is 5, it was 4 but has dropped significantly my W/L ratio is now 53/73 and no matter how well I do in matches I've been able to pull my weight to some degree but every game is an absolute 'stomp' usually enemy is racking up 12 kills to our 3 or 4. which means a couple of things to me: A. this sort of rating system is a slippery slope, as matches become more one sided, it becomes increasingly difficult to balance the odds and obtain any sort of good score, and B. there is something severely wrong with the Matchmaking system... I find it hard to believe for even an instant that it would be intended functionality to have such a massive percentage of the battles be so completely and utterly one sided. my KDR has been holding solid at 1.3~ the only reason I use that is because i can't possibly find any other way to value my own skill when I lose by a landslide in every match, there is no means by which I can mark any form of progress with only a 23% win rate in the last 83 matches. ((I'm talking solo queue for this))

In short, while I really like the game and it's format; and I intend to continue to try to enjoy it. I'm rapidly running out of patience for what I can only imagine to be a massive oversight, the few games I've won since this list of posts, in nearly 100 games has been the opposite treatment towards the other team, we crush them brutally and it's absolutely one sided. Maybe other people enjoy this... but happening to land on the significantly higher skilled/luckier team is hardly anything that I care to brag about, and even if I do well ((I usually pull 300-500 damage with 1-3 kills on my raven)) I don't feel like I'm contributing to either a win, or a loss because the fight on either side seems hopeless.

#15 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:17 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...what-its-worth/

The above is a good explanation of the PSR. It is more of an experience bar than an actual skill bar.

Solo queue tends to go to the side that communicates more effectively, but can head downhill quickly if there are a number of Rambos on one side.

The group game usually guarantees that there will be some communication on both sides, and within each group, the more competitive the unit the more mech synergy. This mode tends to escalate to romps since people are more often willing to PUSH, to be aggressive when there is blood in the water.

The CW there is no match making, it is first come, first served. A newer thread, but realize that teams can be full units (12-man drops) to groups mixed in with pugs (solo drop players) and all solo-drop players. Unlike the solo/group queue, it is Clan vs IS, IS vs IS and some Clan vs Clan. That also means it is then Clan mech vs IS mech, IS mech vs IS mech, etc, there is no mixing of tech/mechs.

http://mwomercs.com/...uisites-for-cw/

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:16 AM

View PostKittenkawa11, on 02 January 2016 - 12:58 AM, said:

I've managed to get into a unit thanks to the assistance from everyone in this thread! That's proven to be very helpful, I will say though that i"m still in an extreme losing streak, my pilot skill rating is 5, it was 4 but has dropped significantly my W/L ratio is now 53/73 and no matter how well I do in matches I've been able to pull my weight to some degree but every game is an absolute 'stomp' usually enemy is racking up 12 kills to our 3 or 4. which means a couple of things to me: A. this sort of rating system is a slippery slope, as matches become more one sided, it becomes increasingly difficult to balance the odds and obtain any sort of good score, and B. there is something severely wrong with the Matchmaking system... I find it hard to believe for even an instant that it would be intended functionality to have such a massive percentage of the battles be so completely and utterly one sided. my KDR has been holding solid at 1.3~ the only reason I use that is because i can't possibly find any other way to value my own skill when I lose by a landslide in every match, there is no means by which I can mark any form of progress with only a 23% win rate in the last 83 matches. ((I'm talking solo queue for this))

In short, while I really like the game and it's format; and I intend to continue to try to enjoy it. I'm rapidly running out of patience for what I can only imagine to be a massive oversight, the few games I've won since this list of posts, in nearly 100 games has been the opposite treatment towards the other team, we crush them brutally and it's absolutely one sided. Maybe other people enjoy this... but happening to land on the significantly higher skilled/luckier team is hardly anything that I care to brag about, and even if I do well ((I usually pull 300-500 damage with 1-3 kills on my raven)) I don't feel like I'm contributing to either a win, or a loss because the fight on either side seems hopeless.

if you are doing that well in a Raven you are definitely pulling your weight, assuming you are working with the team and not individual.

MWO is a team game, 2 players working with the team who each get 200 damage and 1 kill are worth more in this game than a player who runs off on his own and gets 600 damage and 3 kills, because the 2 are on the front lines taking damage where as that 2 ERLL raven who runs off and fires at the enemy from long range will often survive longer, and get better numbers for damage and kills, but is hurting the teams chances, I am not saying this is the case but if that sounds familiar possibly rethink your play-style
If you run off on your own you can hurt your team even if you are its most successful player, if your team is fighting 10 Mechs and only have 8 available for the fight, because the other 4 are off doing there own thing your 8 will likely be wiped out with the enemy loosing only 0-4 because of the superior firepower the enemy can bring to bear against each target, and the fact that the enemy can "share" armor by having fresh Mechs move to the front taking fire for their damaged teammates. meaning the enemy can last longer before going down.
if it is 10v8 and both sides focus fire it would likely go something like this, 10v8, 10v7, 9v7, 9v6, 9v5, 8v5, 8v4, 8v3, 8v2, 8v1, 7v1, 7v0, if however the 10 focus fire and the 8 do not it would more likely go something like 10v8, 10,2, 9v2, 9v0

if you are already a team player my suggestion would be try taking command, assuming you have voice comms try using the in game VOIP, by default it is hold [Caps Lock] to talk, not everyone will have that enabled but if you can get a few players working together just try making a few suggestions like "how about we move to (insert grid reference)" or if you see an isolated lance "the enemy assault lance is isolated in e4, lets go there and kill them" or even something simple at the start of the match like "lets form up, and remember to focus fire", just make sure you are not rude or insulting, people have tried to take commend by insulting and swearing at the team, needless to say that type of player is ignored by his/her teammates.
do not be discouraged when you are ignored by your teammates, if you taking command or making helpful suggestions makes a difference 1 game in 3 you should be back to a 1:1 win/loss ratio

#17 Noey Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 January 2016 - 02:28 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 02 January 2016 - 02:16 AM, said:

if you are doing that well in a Raven you are definitely pulling your weight, assuming you are working with the team and not individual.

MWO is a team game, 2 players working with the team who each get 200 damage and 1 kill are worth more in this game than a player who runs off on his own and gets 600 damage and 3 kills, because the 2 are on the front lines taking damage where as that 2 ERLL raven who runs off and fires at the enemy from long range will often survive longer, and get better numbers for damage and kills, but is hurting the teams chances, I am not saying this is the case but if that sounds familiar possibly rethink your play-style
If you run off on your own you can hurt your team even if you are its most successful player, if your team is fighting 10 Mechs and only have 8 available for the fight, because the other 4 are off doing there own thing your 8 will likely be wiped out with the enemy loosing only 0-4 because of the superior firepower the enemy can bring to bear against each target, and the fact that the enemy can "share" armor by having fresh Mechs move to the front taking fire for their damaged teammates. meaning the enemy can last longer before going down.
if it is 10v8 and both sides focus fire it would likely go something like this, 10v8, 10v7, 9v7, 9v6, 9v5, 8v5, 8v4, 8v3, 8v2, 8v1, 7v1, 7v0, if however the 10 focus fire and the 8 do not it would more likely go something like 10v8, 10,2, 9v2, 9v0

if you are already a team player my suggestion would be try taking command, assuming you have voice comms try using the in game VOIP, by default it is hold [Caps Lock] to talk, not everyone will have that enabled but if you can get a few players working together just try making a few suggestions like "how about we move to (insert grid reference)" or if you see an isolated lance "the enemy assault lance is isolated in e4, lets go there and kill them" or even something simple at the start of the match like "lets form up, and remember to focus fire", just make sure you are not rude or insulting, people have tried to take commend by insulting and swearing at the team, needless to say that type of player is ignored by his/her teammates.
do not be discouraged when you are ignored by your teammates, if you taking command or making helpful suggestions makes a difference 1 game in 3 you should be back to a 1:1 win/loss ratio

I appreciate the notice that teamwork is important, I generally play support as one of few mechs that can use an ECM AND an AMS, I use two SRM-4's and 3 Light Pulse lasers and for the first half of the game I call out incomings and try to stick with my team to provide ECM coverage and defense from flankers, then (hypothetically) once the team is established or going on the offensive I usually move to box in opponents and flank. I understand how important it is to work as a team, which~ as I stated in my first post is one of the alluring aspects of the game for me, the capacity that MWO has for teamwork is wonderful!

It is frustrating that alot of people will pipe up once we start losing to talk trash to eachother, or say mean things, be discouraging... if these people have microphones, they should be communicating to work together -.-.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users