45 replies to this topic

#1 Sandwhichishere

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNext to you in the Dropship.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:52 PM

I'm curious what the difference is between the Rifleman and Jagermech other than weight difference. Would there be any benefit to using the Jager over the Rifleman or visa versa?

*Note I'm usually a light player (Locusts, all of them) but I'm looking around at other mechs to vary my playstyle up.

Thanks

#2 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:01 PM

Tonnage difference, more than likely quirks, hitboxes/geometry will obviously not be the same. There is also the engines, different sizes so different range of possible max/min as well as hardpoint allocation.

The biggest thing will be the tonnage though, in CW it will allow similar mechs to be used with different drop deck combinations.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:06 PM

Rifleman lets you use the Firebrand's hardpoints without spending real money...but since most people with the RFL will get the mech via preorder, this ability doesn't really apply for most peeps.

So...it's just 5 tons weaker. Just have to wait and see what kind of quirkage it gets.

#4 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:08 PM

The Rifleman looks to be more like a bigger Blackjack than a smaller Jagermech and as such have better energy torso mounts than the Jager does (closer to the cockpit). Plus if the art is anything to go by those arms of the Rifleman could act as big shields which could make for some interesting usage (in comparison even with as little as 20 arm-armor I rarely lose an arm on the Jager cause they are so small.)

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

Crossing my fingers for at least one of them to get Blackjack-level AC/2 quirks.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 January 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Crossing my fingers for at least one of them to get Blackjack-level AC/2 quirks.

Got my fingers crossed for a BJ-2.
<.<

Blackjack BJ-2, complete with missile arms.
<.< 'Cause autocannons are heavy.

#7 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

Seeing how they quirk with hitbox and physical size now, im guessing the riffleman will be blackjack sized,

#8 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:35 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 01 January 2016 - 02:25 PM, said:

Seeing how they quirk with hitbox and physical size now, im guessing the riffleman will be blackjack sized,

Hopefully nowhere near that size, way too small. Roughly 2/3 between the jagger and BJ on the jagger's side seems about right though.

#9 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

We know how big it will be since its shares the Warhammer's leg assembly.

#10 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 January 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

We know how big it will be since its shares the Warhammer's leg assembly.

Not true, the mech can be independently scaled. Just because they share a part that another mech has, it doesn't mean it will share the size, this can be seen on a lot of the Clan mechs.

#11 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

View PostSandwhichishere, on 01 January 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

I'm curious what the difference is between the Rifleman and Jagermech other than weight difference. Would there be any benefit to using the Jager over the Rifleman or visa versa?

*Note I'm usually a light player (Locusts, all of them) but I'm looking around at other mechs to vary my playstyle up.

Thanks

Average number of hardpoints per variant is identical - each JM6 and RFL variant has 8 hardpoints.

The JM6 variants have higher Engine rating caps than the RFL variants - 340 for the Firebrand & 315 for each other JM6 variant, versus 290 for each RFL variant.

The RFL variants are ballistic/energy only, while the JM6-A allows the JM6 family the option of a missile-toting variant.
The RFL-5D is all-energy (8 energy hardpoints - 3 in each arm and 2 in the CT), which has no mirror on any of the JM6 variants.
The RFL-3N mirrors the Firebrand's hardpoint layout, while the RFL-3C mirrors the JM6-S hardpoint layout.
The Legend-Killer is closest to the JM6-DD, but switches out a ballistic hardpoint on each arm for an energy hardpoint on each arm.

Torso & arm movement ranges, module slot distributions, and quirks are yet to be revealed.

The RFL and the JM6 will probably be fairly close to the same height, as there is a less-than-10% difference in mass between them, and they are roughly the same overall shape (with the RFL being slightly less broad from side-to-side but slightly longer from front-to-back, compared to the JM6).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Strum Wealh, 01 January 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#12 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 01 January 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

<.<

I've got my hopes up for that one, too.

#13 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

Rifleman has overall better hardpoint placement and do single ballistic + lasers or just lasers better than the Jäger.

Possible builds:
  • 1Gauss+3LL, XL255 (74 kph), 10DHS
  • 3LPL+2ML or 2LPL+2LL, XL290 (84 kph), 16/15 DHS
It's pretty promising if quirked right (for durability because of the 60 tons). Not slower than her bigger sister because Jäger carries heavier weaponry and thus "small" (XL255) engine.

#14 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

It will probably have decent hitboxes. PGI has shown that they're taking extra care with the unseen mechs. I wouldn't be surprised if it's shorter and smaller in general than the Quickdraw and Dragon. If they give it solid quirks, it could become the best 60 tonner for the IS.

I'm out of spending cash. So I couldn't get the Marauder. Don't really want the Warhammer. But I'm strangely drawn by the Rilfeman. I'll probably wait for release though. I hate pre-orders and I've already missed the bonuses. PGI should consider scaling the bonuses down toward release.

#15 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 01 January 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

It will probably have decent hitboxes. PGI has shown that they're taking extra care with the unseen mechs. I wouldn't be surprised if it's shorter and smaller in general than the Quickdraw and Dragon. If they give it solid quirks, it could become the best 60 tonner for the IS.

I'm out of spending cash. So I couldn't get the Marauder. Don't really want the Warhammer. But I'm strangely drawn by the Rilfeman. I'll probably wait for release though. I hate pre-orders and I've already missed the bonuses. PGI should consider scaling the bonuses down toward release.

Yeah, looks like the most promising Unseen so far if quirked right. The 60 tons paper armor has me worried though.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 January 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

Rifleman lets you use the Firebrand's hardpoints without spending real money...but since most people with the RFL will get the mech via preorder, this ability doesn't really apply for most peeps.

So...it's just 5 tons weaker. Just have to wait and see what kind of quirkage it gets.

and scale, and actual hitboxes. The concept is considerably less barndoor than the Jager. So it might not actually prove "5 tons weaker" dependant on it's XL viability. But only know that after it arrives.

#17 TTDeadsayer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

Classic, iconic unseen mech thing aside, unless you're a big fan of the rifleman, there's really no reason to use a rifleman over a jagermech. Even in the lore, the jagermech was designed to improve upon and replace the rifleman, rendering the rifleman obsolete. It's supposed to be able to carry more ammo and run cooler.

From the Sarna battletech wiki:

Designed as an anti-aircraft platform and long-range fire support unit, the JagerMech was intended to correct several perceived faults of the original Rifleman. Kallon Industries went about reviewing the battlefield performance of the Rifleman and identified three critical flaws: it ran too hot, it was too lightly armored, and it didn't carry enough ammunition. Kallon's engineers built the JagerMech with these issues in mind and while they managed to address the heat and ammunition problems they were unable to increase its armoring despite the larger chassis. In the end the company saw this as less of an issue since, as they noted, the JagerMech is a second-line 'Mech whose long-ranged autocannons allow it to engage many enemies without suffering return fire

Now that it's been released, general consensus among my friends in the game is that the rifleman sucks, anyway.

Edited by TTDeadsayer, 18 February 2016 - 06:26 AM.

#18 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

The Rifleman does energy weapons better than the Jager.

#19 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

Well, for one really obvious thing, the Jager gives you the option of running missiles, the Rifleman doesn't.

#20 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:10 AM

View PostKoniving, on 01 January 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

<.<

BJ-2 has energy arms, with missiles in the side torsos

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users