Missiles on a BJ.

#22 Rhialto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:34 AM

Was about to ask this now that Rifleman is available for but a search later I found this thread so I will necro it.

What can you say today about Rifleman vs Jagermech? They share similar shape/configuration.

#23 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostRhialto, on 08 June 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

Was about to ask this now that Rifleman is available for but a search later I found this thread so I will necro it.

What can you say today about Rifleman vs Jagermech? They share similar shape/configuration.

Well the Rifleman is a bit soft in the ST's I find, but I make up for that by running a standard engine, both my 3N and LK run this build:

RFL-3N

I find it effective, nothing stand out, but at 60t you don't want to stand out.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 June 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Well the Rifleman is a bit soft in the ST's I find, but I make up for that by running a standard engine, both my 3N and LK run this build:

RFL-3N

I find it effective, nothing stand out, but at 60t you don't want to stand out.

I find the Jagers of tin the STs too, because they are easier targets, tbh.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

My opinion, the RFL, at least the non Legend Killer ones are safer to XL than the Jager. If you flatfoot and stare, you will die. SO I don't like DPS builds on the RFL tbh. But with the way the arms cover most of the ST, and it's acceleration quirks, I find the RFL to be a better overall scoot and shoot PPFLD mech. Be it with super high mount PPCs in the 5D or my pet dual AC10 build in the 3N.

It's light on tonnage IMO to be an ideal Gauss platform, and most non comp tier players aren't good enough at the precharge to avoid staring.

That said, the RFL-3N is probably my favorite IS heavy to actually play ATM; speaking as a dedicated Medium Mech jock. Because it really does move like a bigger BJ-1, overall.

#26 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:19 AM

Well both kinda need XL to get the most out of their potentional firepower. They are second line of battle mechs anyway, not brawlers so its acceptable. And obviously they are high mount kings of the battlefield. The Jager are bigger target infront and from the rear. The Rifleman a bigger target from the sides due to the protuding center torso and some of the side torsos.

#27 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

5 tons for more ammo and armor with the Jager

better side torso energy weapon mounts with Rifleman

Edited by Captain Luffy, 08 June 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostTordin, on 08 June 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

Well both kinda need XL to get the most out of their potentional firepower. They are second line of battle mechs anyway, not brawlers so its acceptable. And obviously they are high mount kings of the battlefield. The Jager are bigger target infront and from the rear. The Rifleman a bigger target from the sides due to the protuding center torso and some of the side torsos.

the arms cover most of that side exposure.

#29 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:14 AM

Oh well, I bought them for c-bills and yes.... maybe not uber meta, but I'm having a looooooooooooot of fun with them, still unbasiced.
Those Rolfmen have a lot of hardpoints and ,so, a lot of possible builds.

60 tonner, so I must take care of my armor, but those high hardpoints are very nice.

As Bish said, a medium jock can really appreciate the Rolfmen

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 09 June 2016 - 07:17 AM.

#30 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 09 June 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

Oh well, I bought them for c-bills and yes.... maybe not uber meta, but I'm having a looooooooooooot of fun with them, still unbasiced.
Those Rolfmen have a lot of hardpoints and ,so, a lot of possible builds.

60 tonner, so I must take care of my armor, but those high hardpoints are very nice.

As Bish said, a medium mobile jock can really appreciate the Rolfmen

FTFY

Don't need to be a medium jockey for them, just need to be more mobility minded.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 09 June 2016 - 07:18 AM, said:

FTFY

Don't need to be a medium jockey for them, just need to be more mobility minded.

few people are as mobility minded as medium jocks...even Light Pilots unwittingly come to rely on lag shield. When's the last time a Centy ran through 4-6 Assaults and heavies and came out with mildly yellow armor for it? Posted Image

If Comp teams realyl wanted to demonstrate their superiority they'd run 4 man Medium Lances and play hard mode. Posted Image

#32 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 June 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

few people are as mobility minded as medium jocks...even Light Pilots unwittingly come to rely on lag shield. When's the last time a Centy ran through 4-6 Assaults and heavies and came out with mildly yellow armor for it? Posted Image

If Comp teams realyl wanted to demonstrate their superiority they'd run 4 man Medium Lances and play hard mode. Posted Image

I would posit an answer to whom is mobility minded like Mediums...
Dragon Pilots. Unless your target is a derpin, standing still, or staying exposed is always a dumb dumb idea on a DRG. No lag shield to protect you, and no armor or broken hitboxes to help either.

Precision... and agility is all you have. :D

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostMavairo, on 09 June 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

I would posit an answer to whom is mobility minded like Mediums...
Dragon Pilots. Unless your target is a derpin, standing still, or staying exposed is always a dumb dumb idea on a DRG. No lag shield to protect you, and no armor or broken hitboxes to help either.

Precision... and agility is all you have. Posted Image

I'd like to agree but I find my dragon feels like a Mack Truck. It's not bad in a straight line, but I can't say I ever feel it's agile.

#34 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 June 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

I'd like to agree but I find my dragon feels like a Mack Truck. It's not bad in a straight line, but I can't say I ever feel it's agile.

Well after driving around 31,000 to 35,000 ton battleships it feels like a ballerina...

#35 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 June 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

DRG-5N

That's my 5N, she's actually very, very nimble....

#36 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

From what I have found with game play of the LK-Rifleman and my FB-Jager is that the Rifleman to have a good weapon load out has to have an xl engine. While that is not entirely true for the Jager. Other key feature differences are 5 tons more on jager for ammo and armor unlike the rifleman. Then the rifleman also has better side torso mounts that are good and high. This allows the rifleman to have all its weapons in line with or higher than the cockpit. The Jager has just its arm mounted weapons that are in line or higher than the cockpit.

#37 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

Am I wrong, or did I read at some point the Rifleman had arms that flipped over so they could shoot behind the mech? I checked Sarna and nothing was mentioned. Checked Jagermech and Rifleman IIC to see if maybe it was them.

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 09 June 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Am I wrong, or did I read at some point the Rifleman had arms that flipped over so they could shoot behind the mech? I checked Sarna and nothing was mentioned. Checked Jagermech and Rifleman IIC to see if maybe it was them.

In TT any mech without lower arm actuators can flip their arms. For some reason in lore, I only the rifleman seems to, which it's odd since by TT rules, Urbanmechs, Stalkers, Catapults, etc, all can.

#39 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 June 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

In TT any mech without lower arm actuators can flip their arms. For some reason in lore, I only the rifleman seems to, which it's odd since by TT rules, Urbanmechs, Stalkers, Catapults, etc, all can.

That and the Rifleman had balanced forward and rear facing armour... once your front got sand blasted away, flip arms around, and start walking backwards at your target....

Also don't forget that most Omni's with PPC's or AC's in the arms could do it too...

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 09 June 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

That and the Rifleman had balanced forward and rear facing armour... once your front got sand blasted away, flip arms around, and start walking backwards at your target....

Also don't forget that most Omni's with PPC's or AC's in the arms could do it too...
Actually, it had tissue paper rear armor. 4 pts rear CT/ 2 pts rear ST.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users