Bj1X (Without The Speed)

9 replies to this topic

#1 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:47 PM

So my first mechs are the blackjacks. I bought the BJ1 first, upgraded the engine to XL, run it with the AC20, 2 med pulse lasers. Love it.

Next I have bought the BJ1X, excited about the bigger engine cap. The cool kids are running it with XL295 engines.... The cool kids had a lazy 5mil C-Bills with which to buy said engine. I don't have that, and when I do, will likely buy the BJ-3.

So my current load-out on the BJ1X, with the XL225(?) from the BJ1 is 2 large Pulse Lasers and medium lasers. I am running it just like the BJ1, with 2 LPL rather than the AC20. No jumping is kinda a pain, but it works kinda okay. Was thinking about going all medium pulse lasers (what is that, 8MPL?) in 2 groups of 4. Good idea?

Does it work as a sniper mech? I gather that is more the role of the BJ-3, but the extended range on the BJ1X might mean that I could snipe with Large lasers?

#2 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

I run mine as a brawler it works great!!! I run it with a standard engine because I run it in CW my build is BJ-1X. On average I get 600+ damage a match (in quick play) VERY reliable and holds its own!

Edit: The current build you have is Ok BUT i would recommend going a bit faster and dropping the LPL to go for 8mpl with a 255xl BJ-1X

Edited by Blaze32, 07 October 2016 - 05:16 PM.

#3 maimaimi

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

you know if you drop 1 DHS you can bump the engine all the way to 295 for the same build and take advantage of 115kph speed

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a08adbb83850afa

Edited by maimaimi, 08 October 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#4 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

You can also build it with a 280-295 STD engine and load it up with Small Pulse Lasers, sturdy, fast and scalpel deadly.

#5 Zelumbras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

The Blackjacks are some of my all time favourite 'mechs with well over 1200+ matches between them and especially the 1X is a beast - the only chassis i have two of since i simply cannot decide between two loadouts.

One of them is the regular, speedy medium laser build, the other one runs 3 Large Pulse Lasers for mid range precision firing. It feels like a laser scalpel, cutting off components left and right and does not rely on speed as much as the other build.
While the optimal engine for this build would be the Xl255, you can also do it with a slightly smaller one as well if you lack the funds.

#6 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostZelumbras, on 10 October 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

The Blackjacks are some of my all time favourite 'mechs with well over 1200+ matches between them and especially the 1X is a beast - the only chassis i have two of since i simply cannot decide between two loadouts.

One of them is the regular, speedy medium laser build, the other one runs 3 Large Pulse Lasers for mid range precision firing. It feels like a laser scalpel, cutting off components left and right and does not rely on speed as much as the other build.
While the optimal engine for this build would be the Xl255, you can also do it with a slightly smaller one as well if you lack the funds.

I'll try that. My engine is quite a bit smaller - xl220 I think, maybe 230 (whatever the cap is on the bj1). But I guess that just leaves more space for heat sinks

#7 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:10 PM

I run 8 MPLAS. It's great.

#8 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostBrizna, on 08 October 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

You can also build it with a 280-295 STD engine and load it up with Small Pulse Lasers, sturdy, fast and scalpel deadly.

I ran this last night. Std280 from my warhammer and 8spl. It is a killer. I think I killed 10 mechs in 3 matches. Love the scalpel damage.

I'd considered upgrading armour to ff, as I think I can gain a few more heat sinks that way. Would still need to to do 8mpl as Cato Phoenix suggests(?)
The 8spl wasn't so hot, which was a nice surprise. The 8mpl would have ghost heat yeah? So 2 groups of 4?

#9 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:17 PM

8MPL will be VERY hot. Heck, it's hot on a Black Knight.

2 groups of 4, or two groups - right side and left side weapons, and a separate arm group would be my recommendation.

Arm lasers are mounted +cockpit, useful to hill hump, which is why I almost always have them on a separate group. Also good for shooting down UAVs.

#10 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

Yeah, 8mpl is going to be hot, it's solid though.

If you are going to keep the spl build yes, you should use FF for max heat sinks.

Another possibility is 8 ML, a safer less extreme build but it is hotter.

* You should note though that if you ever decide to use an XL engine you will have to pay to remove FF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users