- - - - -

Clan Uac20 Or Ac20?

4 replies to this topic

#1 xxx OVERLORD xxx

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:42 AM

I realy dont know why people use ac20 over uac20 since uac20 ammo have more shells, the weapon has better dps, etc... etc... maybe because i use just one uac20 i see the weapon as very effective? Does 2 have more jam chance? I realy cant understand.

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:49 AM

View Postxxx OVERLORD xxx, on 07 January 2016 - 07:42 AM, said:

I realy dont know why people use ac20 over uac20 since uac20 ammo have more shells, the weapon has better dps, etc... etc... maybe because i use just one uac20 i see the weapon as very effective? Does 2 have more jam chance? I realy cant understand.

Hi Overlord,

First off, welcome to MWO and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Now onto the main point, the clan AC (Auto Cannon) series is a place holder till PGI can figure out how to get ammo switching to work, something they’ve had on the back burner for a long time. The reason for this is that the LB series AC’s traditionally have the ability to swap between cluster and solid ammunition. Generally speaking, in MWO if you want solid shot on a clan mech, the Ultra series (UAC) has the ability to fire solid shot with the ability to double fire, should you press the trigger for that weapon a second time. That being said, there is a jam chance on all UAC’s, meaning that the weapon will be unable to fire for a short period of time.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, and I am sure that someone will be more than happy to help.

Again, please enjoy your time with MWO.

#3 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

I recently accidentally bought and equipped a standard Clan AC10 on a mech, thinking it was an Ultra AC10.
It actually fired the same burst shots as the Ultra AC, and simply did not have the ability to double fire; for some reason I thought the standard Clan autocannons fired a single round like the IS versions.
I'd say it's definitely worth it to go with the Ultra version in all cases, there is still the chance of jamming if you double click but it's better to have the option to double fire if you really need to.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:17 AM

the Clan Ultra Autocannon is significantly less expensive than the LBX and regular ACs.

as far as I can see there is no real reason to buy a regular AC over the UAC, the only edge case where it may be more useful is if you are after a dual AC20 build and want to avoid Ghost Heat (officially called Heat Scale, additional heat added if you fire more than a certain number of a specific weapon, in the case of the AC20 firing 2 at once causes a much higher heat spike, put in to tackle people who were taking excessive numbers of a specific weapon and alpha striking to 1-2 shot most Mechs) assuming the UA20 and UAC20 do not count as the same weapon for Ghost Heat

#5 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:34 AM

One time i bought a clan ac20 thinking it would fire a single slug. A million cbill mistake!

Edited by John Stryker, 07 January 2016 - 08:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users