Stock Tbr Prime Issue

11 replies to this topic

#1 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:41 AM

I find the stock TBR Prime overheating too often.

Here is the default built:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=163&l=stock

MG dont weight much. Removing them wont help. But are they useful ?

LRM: very often ammo depletion. But no room to add lrm ammo. How about removing this weapon and adding heatsink, probe, etc. ?

Laser: C-MED PULSE LASER could be removed. Would heat less. Can be replaced by 1 heatsink. Also C-MED PULSE LASER does not match well with the other med laser, not exactly the same range.

What do u suggest to tweak the TBR Prime build without too much investment ?

#2 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

Welcome to MWO!

Am I reading correctly from your post history that you're aware of the MetaMechs guide to the Timberwolf? You can find lots of very effective builds there.

If you are looking for the simplest way to remove less effective weapons and address your heat problems, you might start with something like this (strip down to lasers only) or this (leave one LRM 20). The only things you will have to purchase to implement these builds are heat sinks, the Clan Active Probe, and the Clan Targeting Computer.

You're correct that the MGs aren't useful. Removing them serves to free up slots much more than tonnage. Your instincts to remove LRMs are also good. Lasers are the most useful weapons on the stock TBR.

You will probably find that Large Pulse Lasers are much more effective than ER Large Lasers at medium range (400 to 600 meters). If you are interested in buying 2 of them, you can upgrade to this build without needing to change any omnipods, or you can upgrade to this build if you are interested in buying a TBR-S right torso. That last build is the one I actually use on my TBR-Prime, and I find it very effective (it's very similar to one of the MetaMechs recommended builds).

Good luck!

Edited by ProfessorD, 06 January 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

if you want to play the TBR prime stock then you are giving yourself a disadvantage, bt it is doable if you avoid firing the missiles with the lasers.

if you like that playstyle I would recomend something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...49374e24c376c44
use the LRMs in the early stages and when your team is ready to close with the enemy your MPLs and MGs will make short work of enemy who have weak armor from your earlier missile vollys.

most Mechs can be made to fit your playstyle, you can swop omnipods from other timbers, e.g. of you are after JumpJets take torsos from the S.

the TBR is rather versatile with the omnipods available

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

View PostGoritude, on 06 January 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

Here is the default built:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=163&l=stock

MG dont weight much. Removing them wont help. But are they useful ?

LRM: very often ammo depletion. But no room to add lrm ammo. How about removing this weapon and adding heatsink, probe, etc. ?

Laser: C-MED PULSE LASER could be removed. Would heat less. Can be replaced by 1 heatsink. Also C-MED PULSE LASER does not match well with the other med laser, not exactly the same range.

Let me see if I have this right: You want a BUDGET improvement to the TBR-PRIME, at least for now, so that you can get something out of it without sinking a couple million more CB into it. Sound about right?

Okay. First, ditch the MGs and ammo. Then swap the MPL for an ERML. This frees up 2.5 tons. Without spending any more money, really, you can add two DHS and a half-ton of LRM ammo. The third ERML synch's up better with the other two ERMLs (TWO different lasers, instead of THREE). A little more missile ammo for you (DEFINITELY chain-fire those LRM-20s for now, to reduce heat and get more out of that limited ammo), too. A couple extra DHS will help, too. Looks like THIS.

Next step? Change up the LRM-20s for Artemis LRM-15s. That frees up one ton, which you can stick on another DHS or another ton of ammo. Looks like THIS.

Still not ideal, though. The ERLLs have plenty of range, and are supplemented by the LRMs. That said, they're both HOT systems. And the ERLLs are low-mounted, so they don't lend well to hill humping and poke-trading, especially on the non-JJ TBR. And the best use of LRMs is in the 400-600 meter range anyhow, where you still get good firepower out of the ERMLs. So...

You get to THIS. Drops the ERLLs, adds another ERML and a LPL. The LPL synchs better with the ERMLs (almost perfect, with the right modules), and it's overall a little more heat-friendly yet. Just don't ALPHA unless you're on resting heat and really NEED a major laser burn. The missiles still get low ammo, and it might even be better yet to swap down to non-Artemis LRM-10s for more ammo and heat sinks. Your call. Also, adds the superb Clan Targeting Computer (only a Mk I, but that's still a great addition) to extend your lethality. Super. Well, not REALLY, but still works well with the omnipods you have.

Eventually, you end up HERE with an investment of about 1.1 million CBills beyond the mech itself. Does respectable laser vomit, with that LRM backup in case of ... well, whatever. Remember, though, that the LRMs are NOT your primaries. They're there to supplement the lasers for more area/spread damage against enemies in the open. And again, MID-RANGE. They tend to be REALLY effective at 400-ish meters, and still acceptably effective at 600 or so. Beyond 700, you lose any real value for them, as the extended face-time to keep them on target is going to get you cored quickly. And firing at non-LOS targets with a TBR? BLASPHEMY! You don't run to the grocery store in a Bugatti (unless your middle name is Summer's Eve), and you don't LURM-boat a Timber Wolf. Or, you can opt for SRMs instead of the LRMs, and you have a decent hybrid brawler there.

Enjoy. And, invest in omnipods and weapons. The TBR is SO versatile!

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostGoritude, on 06 January 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

This is to be expected, compared to its Battletech counterpart, its weapons fire 3x as often (or greater!!!), has 2x the armor/structure, and its heatsinks at Stock with an untrained "Skill tree" cools less than 1x its Battletech counterpart per 10 second cycle.

Using "chain fire" (Backspace on a weapons group after selecting it with the left and right arrow keys) will help significantly with heat issues. Firing less frequency will do even better. The mech has several groups of weapons, you should consider using these groups sparingly and taking note that the Prime has a "low heat" group that produces almost no heat. It also has a high heat, support, and medium heat firing group.

Simplest method, swap left torso with TBR-S side torso. Equip MG in place of MPL, restore missile launcher and ammunition. Reallocate some armor as seen fit. Add MG to MG firing group for a triple action no heat firing solution at 0.8 damage per MG per second, the three of them together will net 2.4 damage per second and shred enemy equipment rapidly once through armor (as well as amplify to a maximum possible [though unlikely] 3.48 damage per second against structure. More realistically it'd probably be 2.76 damage per second against structure).

Enjoy your epic cheese death machine. Posted Image

If these help:
Timber Wolf build and use.
(And a demonstration that no matter how good a build might have performed, if it's out of its element, it won't do much good.) [Group play. My build's meant for more 'solo' play as a hunter that surprises you and blasts you into dust. Here, it couldn't do any of that.)

Also, I suggest LRM-15s, or if you like (given the S side torso), an LRM-10 and twin LRM-5s (or my preference, one LRM-20 and 2 SRM-6s).

2x LRM-20: 10 tons.
2x LRM-15, 7 tons.
2x LRM-10, 5 tons.
2x LRM-5, 2 tons.
2x SRM-6, 3 tons.

2x LRM-5 + LRM-10 = 4.5 tons.
LRM-10 + 2x SRM-6 = 5.5 tons.
LRM-20 + 2x SRM-6 = 8 tons.

Just a thought.

Edited by Koniving, 06 January 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#6 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:57 PM

I am always amazed by the quality and the quantity of the help provided on this forum ! Thank you.

Missile don't heat much. Lasers do.

I will invest later as suggested by your tips. In the short term, I am in a time race to grind CB before sunday and the end of the 35% discount. Buying a Timber Wolf on time will save me 5+ millions CB, that's huge.

So I have just removed C-MED PULSE LASER and replaced it with 1 double heat sink and a Target comp 1. It helps a little but obviously I will have to follow your recommendations above.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:08 AM

View PostGoritude, on 06 January 2016 - 11:57 PM, said:

I will invest later as suggested by your tips. In the short term, I am in a time race to grind CB before sunday and the end of the 35% discount. Buying a Timber Wolf on time will save me 5+ millions CB, that's huge.

So I have just removed C-MED PULSE LASER and replaced it with 1 double heat sink and a Target comp 1. It helps a little but obviously I will have to follow your recommendations above.

For bare minimum investment that does help. I see you're working towards getting the timber wolves during the sale with cbills. Explains a lot. In that case, your net result is this.

Stock: 28%.
After replacing Med Pulse Laser with double heatsink: 34%.

"Meta" mech users like to have their heat ratings at 30%, so if you're the pop and shoot sort you'll do pretty good.

That TBR-S side torso has other secret benefits, though. You'd be able to jump. The saved weight even after changing missiles (actual suggestion for changing the LRM launchers is for better accuracy, leading to better damage results as well as less ammunition consumed per salvo).

In the future when you can afford it, you'll find the suggestions very useful in the overall performance.
----------
For the moment, to significantly improve the mech, open Mechlab, then there's something that says "Skills", and these two skills must be unlocked: "Cool Run," and "Heat Containment."

The improvements to how heat management works with the two of those 'skills' activated is night and day. No change to the mech can compare to what happens after you activate those two skills.

Good luck!

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 January 2016 - 04:08 AM, said:

For the moment, to significantly improve the mech, open Mechlab, then there's something that says "Skills", and these two skills must be unlocked: "Cool Run," and "Heat Containment."

The improvements to how heat management works with the two of those 'skills' activated is night and day. No change to the mech can compare to what happens after you activate those two skills.

Good luck!

they are still useful but not as good as they were 6 weeks ago, with the skill tree nerf they now only offer 7.5% cooling and 10% capacity, it should be useful but only the equivalent of 2-3 heatsinks

I need to pay more attention when I am copying down values

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2016 - 07:33 AM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 07 January 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

they are still useful but not as good as they were 6 weeks ago, with the skill tree nerf they now only offer 7.5% cooling and 10% capacity, it should be useful but only the equivalent of 2-3 heatsinks

That's exactly identical to what they did 6 weeks ago.

Unless you mean after elites.

#10 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

Sure, I did unlock those 2 basic skills.

I'm more used to this heavy now. This is fun to start with indirect fire / arty and then direct burn the wounded.

Also I do as was suggested: I just shoot lasers less often.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 January 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

That's exactly identical to what they did 6 weeks ago.

Unless you mean after elites.

my mistake,
I remember reading the PTS notes for the skill tree and thinking that is a massive reduction to those, I think it was down to about 2.5% and 3.5% instead of 7.5 and 10, and I did not check again after implementation , I was thinking they had been reduced by 66% and just looked up the values and inserted them without registering that they are the old values.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2016 - 07:30 AM.

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

run Dual Large pulse, and 2 ERML's with a Bap (clan active probe), and then the rest heat sinks.. You won't have heat issues, and can help drop an ECM... I played every single timber i leveled with this build and it is very solid all the way through, Even no basics the mech is one of the best on the field. . Don't forget to swap the arm omni pods, to a single laser to remove the Debuff.. Just hover over, and find the single laser arms.

Edited by JC Daxion, 07 January 2016 - 12:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users