#21 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

View Postsycocys, on 07 January 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

Bigger engine still equates into ramped up twisting speed. Dropping a couple tons of leg armor when you almost never get legged in anything heavier than a medium really isn't an issue for the sake of being able to more effectively spread damage.

There is no amount of tonnage you can drop from the legs that will get you any noticeable increase in twist/turn speed. As soon as someone sees an unarmored leg on your assault, no amount of twisting is going to help you.

#22 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:42 AM

I go between 44-54 armor on my legs on the big boys, and I dont remember the last time I was legged in an assault

max armor is clearly a waste in my opinion.

Edited by LordBraxton, 07 January 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#23 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

Please shoot my Legs. They have no Guns or ammo in them 90% of the time, so that is armor I will give up gladly as my return fire strips your ST's and the weapons mounted (and arm is lost also) or your CT and the Mechs critical Engine. Please. ;)

#24 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostBilbo, on 07 January 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

There is no amount of tonnage you can drop from the legs that will get you any noticeable increase in twist/turn speed. As soon as someone sees an unarmored leg on your assault, no amount of twisting is going to help you.

I've piloted nearly exclusively assaults from T4-T2 - nearly every single one with 37-39 leg armor and more than a few with less than that. Legged maybe 1 time in that entire stretch of several hundred matches. If its a 1 in 200 chance or 1 in 300 chance to get legged? Bigger engine/more fire power/couple more kph/ % points of twist speed is better than tonnage allocated to a location that doesn't take damage.

People simply don't shoot the legs of assaults.

#25 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:11 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 07 January 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

Except when piloting a Marauder. I love how tanky the MAD is, but I've seriously never piloted another mech which suffers damage to its headarmor as often as that mech.

pre fix Awesome.

#26 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

View Postsycocys, on 07 January 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

I've piloted nearly exclusively assaults from T4-T2 - nearly every single one with 37-39 leg armor and more than a few with less than that. Legged maybe 1 time in that entire stretch of several hundred matches. If its a 1 in 200 chance or 1 in 300 chance to get legged? Bigger engine/more fire power/couple more kph/ % points of twist speed is better than tonnage allocated to a location that doesn't take damage.

People simply don't shoot the legs of assaults.

I was legged Tuesday night in an Atlas that began the match with 70+ leg armor. A leg can be hit from ~360 degree arc. Telling a new player that shaving half the leg armor off a mech class that is almost universally dead slow to begin with is just setting them up for failure.

#27 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:31 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 07 January 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

pre fix Awesome.

early CB atlas! lolololol

#28 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

View PostBilbo, on 07 January 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

I was legged Tuesday night in an Atlas that began the match with 70+ leg armor. A leg can be hit from ~360 degree arc. Telling a new player that shaving half the leg armor off a mech class that is almost universally dead slow to begin with is just setting them up for failure.

Didn't say it can't happen, just that the odds of it happening are very small from my experience. Under .5% in an assault.

Personally for me I've very rarely been legged in anything that's not named Jenner or Raven, even most of my lights will get ST or CT'd long before someone manages to pull a leg out from under it. If it wasn't for teammates rubbing off leg armor and the silly "you are moving fast and dropped 2 feet" mechanic I'd probably shave a couple points of in a few of my lights.

#29 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:19 AM

Personally for me I've very rarely been legged in anything that's not named Jenner or Raven,

A lot of people strip armor from their legs. So Legging is sometimes a good strategy since its a lot harder to twist to hide your legs than it is to twist and hide your CT.

#30 Scar Glamour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

I always put max armour on my assaults.

Did you catch that?

I always max out armour on legs!

And tell your friends too!

#31 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 07 January 2016 - 03:53 AM, said:

Yeah, I've never subscribed to the "let's strip the legs of armor and _then_ place explosives in them" School of mechdesign myself. Legs get as close to max armor as I can reasonably get them in any mech I pilot, no matter the weightclass. Posted Image

Ammo explosions are not really a concern in this game.

View PostBilbo, on 07 January 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

How is going from 55-60kph or whatever to 40kph that drastic? Sure, it's 33% or whatever but in something as slow as the Atlas or DW, I'm not sure it matters in terms of pure speed. In terms of durability, yes...it's probably not a good idea because it's easier to take out both legs with low armor but then you leave all their guns blazing the whole time.

#32 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 07 January 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

Ammo explosions are not really a concern in this game.

How is going from 55-60kph or whatever to 40kph that drastic? Sure, it's 33% or whatever but in something as slow as the Atlas or DW, I'm not sure it matters in terms of pure speed. In terms of durability, yes...it's probably not a good idea because it's easier to take out both legs with low armor but then you leave all their guns blazing the whole time.

When's the last time you were able to do anything approaching usefulness at 40 kph. The loss of 1/3 of your speed when you are already the slowest thing on the battlefield is never good.

#33 zeves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

when building clan mechs keep in mind that Regular Auto cannons are a complete waste and are there simply as a placeholder the developers forgot to fix years ago. they do not even have supported modules.

To make your First mechs easy dont mix Laser and projectile weapons. choose ether or. haveing only one makes hitting your target with all your weapons easier. there are exeptions to the rule, like lrms as support or main weapon group. Jump jets and masc could also be avoided. to make things easier in the beginning.

Although the Dire Wolf may seem like a no brainer as your first Assault mech it does require abit of experience to not fall into alot of traps and problems, problems like getting caught alone, get stuck in random foliage, getting caught flat footed in an open area. you need alot of map awareness to use the very limited maneuverability it has.

Would actually say that the Warhawk is the first choice for a beginner, not to slow and has good lrm and laser combo. If your exclusively going for assaults only. at least on the clan side.

Edited by zeves, 07 January 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#34 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

In a Dire the "free tonne" values for leg points are 41, 57, 73 (max being 84 per leg). I have found that running 41 points in each leg very rarely results in being legged, and 57 points is probably more than you'll need. The rest is tonnage better used elsewhere.

If someone wants to be targeting my legs while I'm shooting back at them, good luck to you mate, you're in for a short game.

View PostThomasMarik, on 07 January 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

I find it cute how you use the word speed in relation to Atlas. Especially how you thing any speed an Atlas can reach ever translates into armor.

I find it "cute" how you don't equate speed to include torso twist rate, which can make or break an Atlas.

#35 Rokuzachi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

At Atlas doing 70kph is fast enough to flank around on Canyon and surprise the opposition in solo queue, I can tell you that much :^)

Big engine + lots of guns = up in your butt punching it right off

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users