#1 Scotia

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

Hey

Been in and out of this game since it came out, back playing regularly now and i seem to have an issue.

I must be missing something regarding armour and damage cause i can pile the hurt into enemy mechs yet it seems to have minimum effect (not always but enough im here asking about it), meanwhile a few hits and i'm a wreck.

This most noticeable against light mechs, they can run right at me, i cant miss, i dont miss, multiple hits and yet they dont go down or even slow down.

I dont play lights much but when i do survivability is an issue, agreed a lot down to not playing lights much but the damage i take is deadly or crippling, but im seeing light mechs survive 4 lrg lasers and 2 U ac10s(1 of my direwolfs).

Most of my mechs have pretty much close to max armour, so is there a trick or magic armour rating(my use of the word magic is not suggesting anything dodgy btw) that gives me the same survivability as my enemys?

#2 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

Well, hitreg not working correctly or you aren't really hitting (between legs, between arm and sidetorso, etc. etc.)

In the last matches i was able to kill 4 or 5 Lights by hitting them with 5 ML alpha strike right in the CT backside, but they where either standing still or running in a straight line in front of me.

BTW. Clan Lasers have long burn time, so i figure it's quite difficult to apply all their possible damge to a moving target.

Greetings

el piro

Edited by el piromaniaco, 07 January 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

what Mechs are you using?

as you are showing as Ghost bear am I correct in assuming you mostly use Clan Mechs?

most Inner Sphere Mechs tend to be more durable than their Clan equivalents while Clans tend to have higher damage per second (until they reach their heat cap anyway).

basic tips for surviving longer
do not be first around a corner
if something is shooting at you keep moving,
twist your torso with incoming fire to spread the damage,
if part of your Mech is badly damaged sheild that part by keeping another part between you and the enemy except for the second it takes to fire your weapons
use cover
and most importantly stay with your team

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 07 January 2016 - 09:04 AM.

#4 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

I'm guessing it's a ping or fps issue, and those lights are not where you see them on your computer.

That said, it is hard to put 100% damage output on a fast light (115+ kph) at full speed. It's what makes an AC20 light kill so satisfying.

#5 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:34 AM

All the above mentioned aside:
It is an unwritten law, that all 'Mechs can tank more damage, as long as you don't pilot it...

No, I'm serious. I hear this a lot. Same thing with Assaults. They are powerfull, as long as you don't try to pilot one yourself.
When you are sitting inside a 'Mech you realize damage differently. Getting out of an emergency situation with nothing lost but your CT amour seems like "Oh god, I lost all my armour!!", but if you shoot on someone, who struggels to get out of a bad situation and he leaves with an open CT you think "What? I gave him that much love and he just walks away".

Not everythin is bugrelated or "bad hitreg". Sometimes you just see things from other sides and recognize a whole new world.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostRaubwurst, on 07 January 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

It is an unwritten law, that all 'Mechs can tank more damage, as long as you don't pilot it...

No, I'm serious. I hear this a lot. Same thing with Assaults. They are powerfull, as long as you don't try to pilot one yourself.
When you are sitting inside a 'Mech you realize damage differently. Getting out of an emergency situation with nothing lost but your CT amour seems like "Oh god, I lost all my armour!!", but if you shoot on someone, who struggels to get out of a bad situation and he leaves with an open CT you think "What? I gave him that much love and he just walks away".

Not everythin is bugrelated or "bad hitreg". Sometimes you just see things from other sides and recognize a whole new world.

" BRILLIANT! " -Vyvian

#7 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

View PostRaubwurst, on 07 January 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

And thus Raubwurst's Law was written. Go forth and spread the word.

It's true. I take shot and I think my shoulder is one hit from being blown out. I hit the enemy and it feels like nothing is happening

#8 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

There are also some new quirks that add armor and internal structure that make some of the mechs into tanky little buggers.

Maybe some hit registration, since a few people have been noticing it a bit more again.

People are learning to better move the torso's from side to side. Like the missile boat that is targeting you with TAG that is whipping from right to left.

#9 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

Some players tend to front-load their armor. Stock torso armor usually has too much in the rear. It isn't uncommon for people to leave 8 or less points of armor in the back.

Take a Spider whose pilot has shaved the back armor of the CT to 5, with the rest 35 points going to the front CT. That Spider, assuming it's fresh, can take an AC40 to the CT. His front CT armor will be gone, his CT internals might be yellow to orangeish (Spider CT has 20 points, along with 5-10 quirked extra), but nevertheless he will be alive.

Taking two AC20s is more damage than 4 inner sphere LLs (36), the same as 2 double-tapped C-UAC10s, and a bit less than 4 C-ERLLs (44?). All this of course, assuming you get the full burn time of lasers, or all of your shells land. And that can be a bit tricky for a laser with a long duration or a burst-fire autocannon.

A lot of times durability is more about the circumstances of your engagement, not the actual weapons and armor itself. I can be in a 100 ton mech but if I get jumped on alone by 4 competent mediums I will go down in several seconds and maybe take one or two down if I'm lucky. Not a good trade.

When playing lights, make sure all your fights are unfair as possible. Of course if you do get dual-Gaussed in the side torso, or run into a guy carrying 36 streak missiles, it does suck for a light mech with not a lot of armor. But by making sure you have ample backup, you increase your durability by giving the enemy more stuff to shoot at (that's not you!).

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

View PostScotia, on 07 January 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

Hey

Been in and out of this game since it came out, back playing regularly now and i seem to have an issue.

I must be missing something regarding armour and damage cause i can pile the hurt into enemy mechs yet it seems to have minimum effect (not always but enough im here asking about it), meanwhile a few hits and i'm a wreck.

This most noticeable against light mechs, they can run right at me, i cant miss, i dont miss, multiple hits and yet they dont go down or even slow down.

I dont play lights much but when i do survivability is an issue, agreed a lot down to not playing lights much but the damage i take is deadly or crippling, but im seeing light mechs survive 4 lrg lasers and 2 U ac10s(1 of my direwolfs).

Most of my mechs have pretty much close to max armour, so is there a trick or magic armour rating(my use of the word magic is not suggesting anything dodgy btw) that gives me the same survivability as my enemys?

Hit their legs.

MANY light mechs, especially humanoid lights, are running around with 2 rear armor and all the rest up front.
This means just a side torso on a 35 ton mech will have 30 armor + 16 struture behind it requiring 46 precision damage to destroy that side torso!
For the center torso that's 42+22 = 64 HP to get through the front torso!
That's why 35 ton lights seem so invincible, even before lag issues and such.

So go for the leg! It may be true that you need 32+16 to destroy the leg, but the leg you can hit from any angle and it is very difficult to "spread" or "soak" the damage onto other limbs, making legs easy to break. Even better, once broken the mech will be stuck going 40 kph or less!

Welcome to easy street.

#11 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 January 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

So go for the leg! It may be true that you need 32+16 to destroy the leg, but the leg you can hit from any angle and it is very difficult to "spread" or "soak" the damage onto other limbs, making legs easy to break. Even better, once broken the mech will be stuck going 40 kph or less!

This is true. For moving lights if you can sweep the general "leg area" with a laser, you will be spreading the damage between two legs (and some air). But who cares, you need to destroy both legs anyway to get the kill. And once one is gone, it's a buffet on whatever the heck you want to hit next (probably the other leg). Caveat: once you have a light legged it's not a reason to forget all your other mech wisdom. That is, a legged Cheetah or Firestarter with a bunch of pulse lasers can still f--- you up REAL bad at close range (learned that the hard way). And, if he's got buddies, you don't want to jump out there focusing on a light's leg while the rest of his team lines you up for an easy shot.

OP: Leg-checks are a pretty good idea in general for some mechs. Some assaults will shave a lot off the legs AND put ammo in them. The downside of aiming legs on big mechs though is if you play mostly solo pug (like I do), people tend not to focus on legs unless they press R (that's already asking a bit much) and see a mech as a yellow leg.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:38 AM

View PostTakashi Uchida, on 08 January 2016 - 04:54 PM, said:

This is true. For moving lights if you can sweep the general "leg area" with a laser, you will be spreading the damage between two legs (and some air). But who cares, you need to destroy both legs anyway to get the kill. And once one is gone, it's a buffet on whatever the heck you want to hit next (probably the other leg). Caveat: once you have a light legged it's not a reason to forget all your other mech wisdom. That is, a legged Cheetah or Firestarter with a bunch of pulse lasers can still f--- you up REAL bad at close range (learned that the hard way). And, if he's got buddies, you don't want to jump out there focusing on a light's leg while the rest of his team lines you up for an easy shot.

Yes, never ignore a legged Light, once my Spider 5K got legged early in a match by a Jagermech in Canyon Networks, the Jagermech was up high, I got hit and dropped down, he did not, he switched to another target I kept jumping up and hitting it in the back while it was shooting something else, it did not survive and I ended the game with 2 kills, both made after loosing the leg, in a Spider with ERLL and Machine guns moving at 40kph, because no-one considered me a threat.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:46 AM

As stated before, best way to kill a light is by sweeping the legs with lasers. The best way to do this is to have multiple lasers in one group set to chain fire. You won't do as much damage with a single hit, but you will take out his leg quicker through sustained damage. Also, once legged, for a few seconds after each hit, that light drops down to 15 kph, then when no hits occur it goes up to 40kph. So leg him and then kill him, otherwise he'll be moving at near assault speed.

Another thing worth noting most clan mechs tend to have weaker legs than their IS counterparts.

Edited by mailin, 09 January 2016 - 04:46 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users