How Do You Decide On A Faction?

3 replies to this topic

#1 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

What should you consider when picking a faction?

#2 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

I'd go for the Lore of that faction personally... A good place to start for that is the Sarna.net Battle Tech wiki, its around 99% accruate to the source books from what I've seen.

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

Keep in mind such a decision only matters in FW, and even there only to an extent.

Many, who are familiar with the Battletech TT game and/or the various novels go by that "lore". Many go by "it sounds cool" in the description page. An awful lot don't go with any and sign up with non-loyalist merc units that travel about and work for whomever, with house/clan affiliation being incidental.

I chose FRR since I am a lore dork and that is what my main character played (when we weren't being periphery pirates) when I was a kid. I play as an IS absolutist and FRR loyalist. Only thing worse than a filthy clanner is a filthy merc fighting against the FRR...that sort of vibe. Others play, or try to play, a character or bring some color to the game in a variety of ways.

How should you chose? Step one: narrow down between clans and IS (which mechs do you predominately own or wish to play? IS or Clan? Go with that.). Step two pick a house/clan at random unless you have a lore based preference.
Other than that, I'd suggest a dart board method or something similar.

#4 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

You should decide who you like to play with on a team. All of the factions have great teams and players, so you should be able to find a group that you enjoy playing with on any of them. If I was a new player, I would take the opportunity to "tour" the different factions (ie short contract times) to get the free mech bay incentives in CW (once you decide to make that jump) before committing to a longer contract.

In solo queue and group queue, faction has absolutely no impact to the game.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users