Question About Narc Beacon

9 replies to this topic

#1 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

I was using my shiny new rvn-3l earlier, and firing my narc at targets about 500m out and getting mixed results on hits. Do narc rounds have a significant bullet drop? I was firing center mass, maybe more belt high and perhaps the shots were dropping and missing the legs?

#2 Native

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

NARC beacons are missiles. and have a max range of 450 meters... the explode after that just like lrms and srms

#3 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

Raven 3L has a NARC quirk that extents the range out to 550 meters.

Was the target under ECM?
If the target is under ECM, the NARC effect will be suppressed. It does remain active during its normal liftetime, however. So if the target moves out from under the ECM umbrella, then the NARC will become visible.

#4 Native

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

oh ya... thats right. probobly either missing then, or ECM's like Knnniggett said

#5 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:30 PM

No ecm was near, as i was shooting at a poking ebj. Maybe the missile travel is slower than I think. Hopefully i will figure it out before the archers arrive on the battlefield hehe

#6 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:45 PM

Heads up too - the +10 Narc duration on the 3L doesn't work. PGI is aware but not sure its been fixed yet.

#7 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

It's pretty darn slow. You hafta lead like it's an AC.

~Leone.

#8 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

View PostJohn Stryker, on 07 January 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

I was using my shiny new rvn-3l earlier, and firing my narc at targets about 500m out and getting mixed results on hits. Do narc rounds have a significant bullet drop? I was firing center mass, maybe more belt high and perhaps the shots were dropping and missing the legs?

To answer your questions:

- NARC beacons have no bullet drop. Nor do they have spread of any sort; they will -always- fly to the center of the reticle, the same way as any ballistic or missile weapon does. Convergence may cause errors in flight path, however - especially against moving targets.
- If a target is at 500m, they only need to backpedal 1m and it'll fail to connect. The same holds true if you are chasing someone down at 500m and you maintain the same speed as your target. At the instant you fire the NARC, the distance is actually 500m, but they have moved by the time the NARC beacon gets to them and therefore they would be further away than 500m, despite your rangefinder saying otherwise.
-NARCs are freaking SLOW. And I mean SLOW. At times, I wonder if a Locust could outrun them. NARCs have a velocity of 500m/s (slower than AC20 shots), so at your maximum range you will have to compensate for 1 second of travel + your ping. It's always a bit iffy at those ranges.

It's much easier to slap on a massive engine and get a bit closer to the target (maybe around 350-400m), fire the NARC, and then run like the wind.

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 07 January 2016 - 07:01 PM.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

Easier on an ECM mech (RVN-3L FTW) nowadays, with the reduced ECM radius. Still as easy to get behind the enemy, and you can get closer now without giving yourself away (though I'd stay outside 250m in case they have the upgraded Seismic Sensor, it's an option to go as close as 100m).

#10 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:07 AM

Try to record your matches and watch the rerun afterwards.
You might notice something you didn't at the time during the match which might explain it.

If not, post the video and let us have a look.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users