Griffin/shadowhawk/wolverine ?

38 replies to this topic

#21 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

I'd put one up for the SHD, there is the 2D2 build with 4xsrm4 and Ac10 , that does really well in brawls, + I consider that the SHD is the only viable IS medium jumpsniper with 2ac5 + erppc , so there's that... but the griffon would be a close second as it has an ecm variant.

Edited by Nik Reaper, 10 January 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#22 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

Drive all 3 chassis !!!
All have their worth right now .

#23 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:08 PM

Griffin > Shadowhawk

That said, Shadowhawks are fun to play, regardless of their CT bullet magnet, slow speed and lack of damage output.

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

Of the 4 Inner Sphere 55 tonners, yes including the one not mentioned... I recommend the Kintaro and the Wolverine for brawling.

:)

#25 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:23 PM

I'm with the other guy.. If you really want a good brawler, the Cent AH, is a king.. HBK 4SP, 4G, and 4P are all great ones too. If you really must go with a 55 toner.. (mainly cause you want jump jets) i'd say the shadow hawk. Though i can say the wolverine 7K does a pretty decent job, with SRM's and pulse lasers.. But it more of a nitch brawler.. Fast, hit and run striker, verse all out brawling.

#26 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Griffin 3M for brawling for sure.

#27 PigsinBlankets

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:32 AM

I am relatively new to mwo, I just bought the shadowhawk mastery pack myself - but if you like brawling I have to recommend the centurion -ah. I have mastered the centurion and fitted my AH with an XL engine, an ac20 and a pair of srm4s. I get the occasional bad match where I walk round the wrong corner straight into a pair of King crabs or dire whales, but generally I can get 600-900 damage and 2-4 kills, plus multiple assists with the centurion. So far I have only played lights and mediums, and mastered the Jenner and the Centurion. shadowhawk is next up then I'm looking at jägermech for my first heavy (unless I bite the bullet and spend money on the marauder or warhammer)

Edited by Asrael999, 11 January 2016 - 02:33 AM.

#28 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:12 AM

View PostTercieI, on 09 January 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Wait, what? For brawling? You want GRFs. Specifically the 2N and 3M. Those are the two best SRM brawlers the IS has.

Agreed.

Given the choice, I would take the 2N, and do, over the rest of the mechs given as choices.

My 2N;

2 ML
2 SRM6a
2 SRM4a
ECM/BAP

Speed, maneuverability, Jump capable.

#29 TheMessy

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

I own all 3 of these mechs, plus most of their variants and I must say that I HATED leveling the griffins. The wolverines were ok but they are such a **** to pilot. Do yourself a favor and if you want a good brawler go get the thunderbolts (they move like a medium mech and have more armor).

#30 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostFelldust, on 12 January 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

I own all 3 of these mechs, plus most of their variants and I must say that I HATED leveling the griffins. The wolverines were ok but they are such a **** to pilot. Do yourself a favor and if you want a good brawler go get the thunderbolts (they move like a medium mech and have more armor).

the Thunderbolts with a 300+ engine moves like an under engined medium, usable but feels sluggish compared to a Medium something like a 250 or lower in a 55 tonner or a 200 in a Hunchback or Centurion, I find a 300 engined 55 tonner to have great handling, with a 330 engine (which all the 55 toners can use) they handle almost exactly like a Stormcrow. Even with the stock 275 they still handle better than the max engined Thunderbolt, in my opinion but to each his own.

#31 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

View PostMiljoTonnes, on 09 January 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

Shadow hawk it is then unless someone can recommend a fast heavy thats not too big.

I'll add my voice to the people advocating the Griffins, I really enjoy SRM brawling with those. To be fair, I haven't piloted the Shadowhawks, but I prefer SRMs for brawling purposes (especially post-December patch), it makes it a lot easier to alpha and torso-twist with a bit of a cooldown time. It's nice to have smaller autocannons to pump out damage constantly, but it also requires you to stay facing the enemy, so you can't spread damage as effectively.
I actually really like the Wolverines for sniping (I didn't enjoy the missile Wolverine and didn't keep it, maybe I'll pick it up again, but I still have the AC5 and LL variants), but it's generally been not too fun getting up close with them.

If you're looking for a fast heavy with a similar loadout, I like the missile Quickdraw quite a bit. It has less missile hardpoints than the 2N and 3M Griffins, but with the extra armor and running a standard engine instead of XL you get a lot longer lifespan.

#32 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Griffins. I run three of them in different configurations but the one with a LPL and two SRM6s is a brawling monster. Also has pretty decent mobility.

I remember this one match on the Mining Collective. A Raven 3L was stalking me, thought he was hot. Then he peeked over a building at me and got a facefull of SRMs. DRT, man. It was glorious.

Edited by Lanzman, 18 January 2016 - 09:04 AM.

#33 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:00 AM

I'd put the Grif on equal footing with the wolvie. Only great thing the shadow hawk has going for it now is high mounted shoulder balistics/energy hardpoints.

#34 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:17 AM

View PostMiljoTonnes, on 09 January 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Which one for brawling ?

Griff is the best out of those three for brawling.

Shawk=hill humping

Wolverine=side/corner poke with lasers.

View PostTheMessy, on 12 January 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Dont take this bad advice. Tbolts have zero agility and are horrible to pilot, specially compared to a Griff. Griffs are one of the best mechs in the game to pilot, so smooth!

Edited by mogs01gt, 21 January 2016 - 07:21 AM.

#35 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:15 AM

@OP Every mech in the game handles differently. The only real solution to your question, is to try and play each one. You also need to find the mech that caters to your play style, or if need be, change yours. Trying to shoehorn a mech into a particular role that it's not very well geared for, isn't a great time. Don't force what's not there. In the end, only you will know what is most enjoyable for you to play.

#36 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostZombie Gandhi, on 21 January 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

@OP Every mech in the game handles differently. The only real solution to your question, is to try and play each one. You also need to find the mech that caters to your play style, or if need be, change yours. Trying to shoehorn a mech into a particular role that it's not very well geared for, isn't a great time. Don't force what's not there. In the end, only you will know what is most enjoyable for you to play.

Asking someone to buy, upgrade and Elite three Mechs of a chassis simply to figure out "is this Mech to my liking" is a little unreasonable. Hence, these threads...

#37 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostRorvik, on 21 January 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Asking someone to buy, upgrade and Elite three Mechs of a chassis simply to figure out "is this Mech to my liking" is a little unreasonable. Hence, these threads...

Trial mechs are a good start for this, though. Especially when most of them are community-built Champion mechs with already-optimized loadouts.

Of course, something you won't realize until you're IN the mech, is just how ridiculously BIG those three (WVR, GRF, and SHD) are for their weight.

Still. The trial mechs are there to be tried, for free, to see if you like the chassis or not. It's as good as we can do. Kinda like test-driving a car. You might be able to live with that awful excuse for an arm rest in your Toyota Yaris for 5 minutes with a saleman yapping in your ear about Toyota quality, but after 10,000 miles you're GOING to hate it, even with an automatic transaxle... Test drive still gives you an IDEA, though, that SOMETHING in there is ergonomically f***ed up, and you buy at your own risk. (You will likely never hear/read one more complaint about that company's automobiles from me again, BTW. I <3 my TOYs.)

Same thing, but no annoying salesman.

#38 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:31 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 22 January 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

Trial mechs are a good start for this, though. Especially when most of them are community-built Champion mechs with already-optimized loadouts.

I try to take the Trial Mechs for a spin as they are available, but there are now so many mechs and the Trial Mechs get changed so infrequently that waiting for them to put that one mech you want in trial rotation is not really feasible either. :(

View PostTheRAbbi, on 22 January 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

Of course, something you won't realize until you're IN the mech, is just how ridiculously BIG those three (WVR, GRF, and SHD) are for their weight.

My issue with SHD has always been its sluggish handling. Yes, the GRF is a little on the big side, but with a 300+ engine it can really move about.

#39 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:42 PM

No doubt, the Phoenix mediums (SHD, WVR, and GRF) are fairly mobile for their weight, and have some good variety in loadouts. DAT SIZE THO.

Seriously, I Was playing with a brawler loadout on a GRF in the Testing Grounds, and for kicks I stood it next to the AS7 there and went out to 3PV. STUPIDLY TALL! Not quite as WIDE as an Atlas, but virtually as TALL as one, and at 45 tons LIGHTER that's just STUPID.

In a JJ-capable mech, I'd rather be wider or longer than TALLER. The JJs add a vertical component to your mobility, so if you USE them but you're TALL, then the HEIGHT takes away from the JJs' ability to throw off damage. SURE, it'll only go to legs, and folks don't usually otherwise aim for legs on those 55-tonners. STILL.

If they ever re-scale the GRF or SHD, I'll consider firing them back up. Until then, I only still own them because I paid $$$ for them. And the WVR isn't MUCH better. They're just TOO DAMNED TALL, PERIOD.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users