11 replies to this topic

#1 p4ul

Rookie

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

i tried 6 c-mpl + target comp 1.
it feels like i die quicker than in my stormcrow with the same build.
so far i played mostly lights and mediums and cant really get used to that gargoyle to do well in any game.

some tips for it could help me :D

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:27 PM

Stormcrow is quicker, smaller.

The Gargoyle is a kind of terrible mech. It's got it's fans, but ultimately, it's a very large mech with no more firepower than many mediums. It just makes it a target.

Poor Gargles.

#3 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

Don't be the first one through the door. Wait for the death ball to start, then use your speed to flank. That's about all you can do with the clan version of the awesome.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

View Postp4ul, on 09 January 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

i tried 6 c-mpl + target comp 1.
it feels like i die quicker than in my stormcrow with the same build.
so far i played mostly lights and mediums and cant really get used to that gargoyle to do well in any game.

some tips for it could help me Posted Image

This, admittedly, is a tall order. Being one of the canonically tallest mechs in BattleTech, they naturally gave it a larger than life stature which didn't help it. (It's 14-ish meters canonically, but this Gargoyle is definitely much taller as the Centurion is 14.6 meters in MWO [not BT] and in MWO the Gargoyle towers over it by a landslide).

....Pun aside.
This Omnimech is designed to hunt down lighter targets with its high speed. You're using a short range medium-class laser, which probably helps the hit-and-run but that's about it. Some long range weapons like ER Large Lasers should do wonders, provided you keep moving while shooting as a long range harassment mech, the high speed + range would make you fairly hard to hit. Alternatively lighter ballistics and Streak-6s will help you hunt down pests.

All in all, I haven't truly found a niche for this but if you can manage twin LPLs + Streak 6 and uh... I guess machine gun or UAC/5... that'd be about the best thing I can possibly think of.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostNRP, on 09 January 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Don't be the first one through the door. Wait for the death ball to start, then use your speed to flank. That's about all you can do with the clan version of the awesome.
And sadly, this puts the Gargoyle firmly into "not an effective use of tonnage" territory.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

The two Gargle builds I've used so far (which by no means were top notch but it wasn't so bad either) were 6 ERML+UAC5 and 2xUAC5.

#7 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Twist your mech between shots, try to take as much damage to your arms as possible. Something like 6 ER smalls + 4 ER mediums with 29 heatsinks has a lot of damage potential in the mid-late game. Small pulses are good too.

#8 p4ul

Rookie

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostJohn1352, on 09 January 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

Twist your mech between shots, try to take as much damage to your arms as possible. Something like 6 ER smalls + 4 ER mediums with 29 heatsinks has a lot of damage potential in the mid-late game. Small pulses are good too.

ye making use of the very fast torso yaw is one thing it is strong in.

#9 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

I can usually find a role for almost any mech in this game, but the Gargoyle is one I leave in the garage.

It suffers from all the issues K mentioned plus it has low mounted weapons - often a death sentence in this game. Before the clan laser nerf it could (somewhat) overcome its shortcomings being an energy boat, but it's much harder now.

I'd recommend giving it a midrange, energy build, with an alpha in the range of 45 - 60. Play it like a heavy. Don't try to tank damage, but use your maneuverability to unload the hurt once the fight is engaged.

Edited by Khereg, 09 January 2016 - 04:27 PM.

#10 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

Okay, as someone whose been running the Man'o'War for some time now, I can tell you that the best use I've found for it is as a line breaker. When used this way, don't expect it to live that long, but as it moves fast as a Madcat, and carries more armour'n a Madcat, the 'Goyle is an excellent brawler. Even the old trial did this well, but my favourite is Uac20, 6x er small build with a cool shot. That mech can charge inna a firing line an wreck mechs creating an opening for your team to follow.

You want range, like medium lasers or Uac5s, then yeah, this may not be the mech for you, but, If you wanna brawl inna folk there's nothing as fast, or as heavily armoured. Sure the tonnage is a bit light, but that just means you gotta go with the close range weaponry to take advantage of their heat/damage ratio.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 09 January 2016 - 05:47 PM.

#11 p4ul

Rookie

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:13 AM

i got my ace of spades now on terra therma with 6 spl and 4ml. normaly i never see other gargoyls but it can really shine sometimes :D
but still it feels not very reliable in alot of matches.

#12 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:20 AM

Gargoyle is a second line mech so don't try run ahead all. Gargoyle is acceptable duelist vs lower tonnage mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users