Steiner Trainer Mech Q

4 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

Back when i was playing the mech warrior board top game i remember house steiner had a training mech that seemed to be badly under utilized. Has it ever been mod'ed to where it could be a useful mech?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

not to the best of my knowledge, I know the Mech you are referring to, but cannot remember its name, as I recall it could be adjusted to simulate any other Mech.

there is nothing like that in MWO, and due to the fact that as I recall it only had a single variant, is not beloved by a significant portion of the player base, and was not designed to carry real weapons it will likely be one of the last Mechs released for this game with something like 300 Mechs ahead of it in the queue, last year I think we got 22 new Mechs added to the game so at that rate it will be 13 years before PGI starts running out of Mechs.

#3 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

You're likely referring to the Chameleon: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chameleon

Your view that it's a Steiner mech might stem from the fact that it was used as the training mech in the old Crescent Hawks Inception computer game, through good pioting and a little luck you could even escape the ambush in that game and keep it for the rest of the game (where, being the heaviest mech available is actually the best mech you could get, especially after modding it).
The mech is also produced on Hesperus II. Probably the most famous mech factory planet in the BattleTech franchise, and having been in almost continual Steiner hands since the fall of the Star League, so that's another strong Steiner connection.

Steiner has never had problems selling stuff to others though so the Chameleon is regarded as a wide spread trainer mech throughout the Inner Sphere.

Though stated to be a trainer mech it's actually not too bad a mech in actual combat, though it runs rather hot, but that's a trait it shares with many 3025 designs.

#4 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:44 PM

As i recall it was a 50 ton mech with a large laser, med laser small and a mg and Jump jets. The only reason is i recall playing a scenario where there was a raid going on and the raiders had a mech transform into a fighter (IIRC a PH) and i manged through sheer luck to shoot it down with a cockpit hit and knocking the pilot out.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:43 AM

a Phoenix Hawk LAM, or Land Air Mech, there were a few different designs of LAM, unfortunately I doubt we will see them in MWO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users