18 replies to this topic

#1 Sturmwolf

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:16 AM

Hey Guys.

I really started playing MWO now even though I bought a Founder Pack back in the days. I really ******* like it. Did my 25 cadet missions and bought me a Marauder Pack (Hero) now and I'm having a ball here. I still have few questions I couldn't figure out through the forums yet.

1. How to unlock modules and slots? ( I can fit UAV and artillery or air strikes which are consumables I suppose?)

2. Whats the difference between Clan and Hero Mechs? Benefits?

3. I finished Pilot challenge 1 in the Academy with gold but haven't received the 500k reward. Bug?

4. If I have mastered 3 mech variants what comes next? New Mech line?

5. So what are those mech related omnipods and quirks people talking about?

6. What's the benefit of doing cw for your faction apart from getting cbill, badges and titels? Special Mechs?

7. Is there any way to unlock camo or paint through the game?

8. Any other hidden and easy achievements where you can score decent cbill?

9. Factions and clans? Difference?

That's it for now. ;-) Thanks for you help guys.

Edited by Sturmwolf, 10 January 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#2 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:33 AM

Unlocking modules: Go to Skill tab>Pilot Skills. Unlock with GXP

Clan/Hero Mechs: Clan mechs are only usable by Clan in Community Warfare. No restrictions in public queues. Hero mech are cash only mechs that have a 30% C-Bill bonus. Usually underwhelming although some are worth having.

Pilot Challenge: Double check that you actually completed the challenge correctly. If you did, report to technical@mwomercs.com

Mech Mastery: Congratulations you have now fully unlocked all the boosts and modules available for those mechs. This is all that the mech mastering mechanic is for.

Quirks: IS mechs have quirks that are assigned to the mech itself. Clan mech quirks are assigned to specific omnipods of a mech since you can swap omnipods between variants. Quirks give positive/negative boost and are generally used to balance the difference mechs/variants.

CW Rewards: Once you attain certain ranks determined by the Loyalty points that you have earned CW, you are awarded mechbays along with other rewards. There are no mechs awarded for CW although there have been events where free mechs were available to be won.

Camo/Paint: Only through events as far as I know.

Hidden/Easy Achievements: Tutorial Challenges and Cadet Bonuses are it. You can check Achievement rewards on the left side of the Home tab.

Hope that helps.

#3 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:40 AM

Greetings MechWarrior.

I've been playing since day one MWO came unto Steam.

1. modules are located in skills under the pilot tab.

2. Well aside from steam performance packages there are no Clan hero mechs. Hero mechs just have a pretty pain job different hard-point locations and a 30% Cbill boost.

3. i'm not sure about that one.

4. more or less. Once i have three basic'd i tend to move onto another mech line i have.

5. Clan mechs have Omni pods. You can mix and match to have different hard-points. IS don't have that. their hard-points are locked. Quirks are stat boosts to certain elements of a mech to "balance" them. they also encourage players to load them with weapons that benefit from said quirk.

6. well till CW beta 3 nothing. But i'd say making friends.

7. yes. there are several paints called basic that are brought for Cbills everything else is with MC. camos are in two category's Unlock and One shot. Unlock unlock's said camo for that chassis, where One Shot unlocks it for that variant alone.

8. CW ranks get you some good bonus as you rank up

9. you have two major factions. the Inner Sphere and the Clans. Inner Sphere mechs are more close quarter favoured (not all of them are but most are) where Clans are more ranged but have longer weapon fire times to do full damage,

Edited by Lupis Volk, 10 January 2016 - 01:41 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:52 AM

View PostSturmwolf, on 10 January 2016 - 01:16 AM, said:

2. Whats the difference between Clan and Hero Mechs? Benefits?
3. I finished Pilot challenge 1 in the Academy with gold but haven't received the 500k reward. Bug?
4. If I have mastered 3 mech variants what comes next? New Mech line?
5. So what are those mech related omnipods and quirks people talking about?
6. What's the benefit of doing cw for your faction apart from getting cbill, badges and titels? Special Mechs?
7. Is there any way to unlock camo or paint through the game?
8. Any other hidden and easy achievements where you can score decent cbill?
9. Factions and clans? Difference?

some of these have already been answered but

1)skills, pilot skills, spend GXP to unlock, then you can purchase with Cbills, if there are multiple levels and you purchase the module before completing, it levels up as you unlock the higher levels

2) Clan Mechs use Clan weapons and tech, the biggest advantage Clans have it the Clan XL engine, it can survive 1 side torso loss, where as IS XLs die to a side torso loss. all Clan Mechs currently available for Cbills are Omnimechs, where you can swap torsos, arms, legs and heads with other varients of that Mech to customize your hardpoints.
Hero Mechs are special variants with different hardpoints, unique camo and a 30% cbill boost.
Battlemechs can change engine size and type, structure, armor, and heatsink type but have fixed hardpoints.

3) you would have probably completed it as part of the tutorial, and revived the cbills then

4) after mastering the Mech and unlocking the extra module slot that Mech will be at its full potential, you can keep playing it and convert the XP to GXP using MC, however that costs real money. you can do whatever you want, but the process of mastering a Mech will usualy give enough Cbills to buy another

5) most Mechs and Omnipods have quirks, those are advantages or disadvantages related to using the specific Mech/pod the quirks can take the form of mobility, armor/structure, heat generation increase or reduction for specific weapons, recycle time for specific weapons among others

6) there are rewards for achieving certain ranks in each faction, including extra cbills, GXP, MC, and free Mechbays

7) there are a few paints available for cbills, otherwise there are events most weekends, those sometimes include a chance to win paint/camo. you can also get them with MC or as part of a Mech pack

8) look on the achievements page under the home tab in game, it lists the requirement for each achievement, most have cbill, GXP or MC rewards

9) there are 10 Factions, 6 Inner Sphere, and 4 Clan, the Clans are Ghost Bear, Jade Falcon, Smoke Jaguar and Wolf, the others are Inner Sphere factions, there are a lot of player controlled units, the equivalent of a clan in most other games, units tend to be Mercenary or Loyalest, Loyalest units pick a single faction and stay with it, Mercs will switch between factions.
you can only use your factions Mechs

Clan Mechs (cannot be used by the Inner Sphere factions in faction play)
Spoiler

Inner Sphere Mechs (cannot be used by the Clan factions in faction play)
Spoiler

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 January 2016 - 02:04 AM.

#5 Sturmwolf

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:46 AM

Hey folks.

Very much appreciate your answers. Helps me a lot.

So Hero Mechs are basically Premium Mechs with extra income. Got that.
I will fiddle around with the rest today.

Those quirks are always related to the mech. Would those quirks change when you swap omnipods on clan mechs?

One other thing, when you setup your mech loadout in cw there is a certain maximum point limit of 260 or something.
Is that fix or changeable? I mean it's not really bothering me but was wondering.

Very grateful for your help guys.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:56 AM

View PostSturmwolf, on 10 January 2016 - 02:46 AM, said:

Hey folks.

Very much appreciate your answers. Helps me a lot.

So Hero Mechs are basically Premium Mechs with extra income. Got that.
I will fiddle around with the rest today.

1) Those quirks are always related to the mech. Would those quirks change when you swap omnipods on clan mechs?

2) One other thing, when you setup your mech loadout in cw there is a certain maximum point limit of 260 or something.
Is that fix or changeable? I mean it's not really bothering me but was wondering.

3) Very grateful for your help guys.

1) yes, Omnimech quirks are linked to the pod, if you swop a pod you get the quirks from the other pod, quirks stack so if you have e.g. -10% laser heat gen and -10% medium laser heat gen that means you get -20% heat from Medium Lasers on that Mech, if you have 4 Omnipods each with 5% laser range that works out at 20% laser range, not all quirks are good, some Mechs/pods are considered good enough that there are downsides to using them

2) for CW there are minimum and maximum drop weights, at current those are 160 ton minimum drop weight, and for Clans 260 max, for Inner Sphere it is 265 tons, however those do change from time to time, historically they have usualy been 160-240 for both Clan and IS, so bear in mind that those limits can and probably will at some point change.
you must have 4 Mechs relevant to your faction with a combined weight in that range to participate in CW/FW/FP (although you can use trials)

3) you are welcome

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 January 2016 - 03:00 AM.

#7 Sturmwolf

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:55 AM

As I mentioned before I bought the Marauder pack with 3 chassis and a Hero Mech. I realised yesterday that I have 5 Marauders to pick. One of them is 3R(S) and as far as I remember I can't unlock skills cause he is not visible in that list. What's the story with that Mech?

#8 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostSturmwolf, on 11 January 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

As I mentioned before I bought the Marauder pack with 3 chassis and a Hero Mech. I realised yesterday that I have 5 Marauders to pick. One of them is 3R(S) and as far as I remember I can't unlock skills cause he is not visible in that list. What's the story with that Mech?

The 3R(S) is still a 3R. The 3R and the 3R(S) have the same skill tree.

Some mechs will have (S/L/R/I/C/...) after them. This designates Special/Loyalty/Resistance/Invasion/Champion/... It does not change the variant for purposes of skills. Those mechs usually have a +30% to either C-Bills or XP gained in them, but they are not a different variant because of the (?) after them.

#9 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostLadyDanams, on 11 January 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

The 3R(S) is still a 3R. The 3R and the 3R(S) have the same skill tree.

Some mechs will have (S/L/R/I/C/...) after them. This designates Special/Loyalty/Resistance/Invasion/Champion/... It does not change the variant for purposes of skills. Those mechs usually have a +30% to either C-Bills or XP gained in them, but they are not a different variant because of the (?) after them.

not entirely true, a ® or (I) version has special geometry and paint, the (L) have special paint....

#10 Sturmwolf

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:28 AM

They are not really relevant instead of farming more cbills I suppose?

I'm still a little bit confused about all those Hero, champion , special Mechs and so on.

Still have to figure out the purpose of use.

#11 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

View PostSturmwolf, on 11 January 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

They are not really relevant instead of farming more cbills I suppose?

I'm still a little bit confused about all those Hero, champion , special Mechs and so on.

Still have to figure out the purpose of use.

Champion mechs are just normal mechs with upgrades already done and a better than default load out when you buy them and a 30% XP bonus. A KGB-000B can easily be turned into the exact same configuration as a KGC-000B(C) for example. They are just a way to not have to grind nearly as much on a chassis.

Hero mechs have different hard points and configurations from other variants and are a variant of the mech to themselves. They also come with upgraded camo/paint and have a 30% C-Bills bonus to any matches you use them in. Some are worth having, others are so-so other than the C-Bill bonus.

Edited by LadyDanams, 11 January 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#12 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

If you choose to play CW be aware that there is no skill matchmaking and you will possibly be thrown in against an experienced and organized 12 man team. It may be a good idea to wait until you have 4 mastered mechs in your drop deck and feel a little more confident with your aiming and movement skills.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

here is a quick breakdown of the "Special" Mech types

Champion (C)
bonus XP and upgraded loadout

Sarah's Jenner JR7-D(S) Sarah was a very young Mechwarrior who died of cancer, all proceeds from the sale of Sarah's Jenner went to a cancer charity bonus XP and unique paint job

Steam Mech (S), Cbill boost not XP, othersiwe the same as champion

(F) (P) (L) (I) ® (O) and (S) variants of the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman and Archer (I have no idea whose great idea it was to give (S) 3 different meanings).
special pack variants, unique paint job and 30% cbill boost

(G) Gold Mechs from the Clan invasion wave 1 pack, very expensive to purchase, 30% cbill boost, primary target for the enemy team for bragging rights

Hero Mechs, varients with a name rather than a number, usualy based on the personal "hero" Mech from Battletech canon (e.g. Oxide, Misery, Ember, Yen Lo Wang), unique paintjob and a 30% cbill boost, the only type of Mech which you cannot get for cbills sans special camo and boosts

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 11 January 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#14 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 11 January 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

Sarah's Jenner JR7-D(S) Sarah was a very young Mechwarrior who died of cancer, all proceeds from the sale of Sarah's Jenner went to a cancer charity bonus XP and unique paint job

Steam Mech (S), Cbill boost not XP, othersiwe the same as champion

(F) (P) (L) (I) ® (O) and (S) variants of the Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman and Archer (I have no idea whose great idea it was to give (S) 3 different meanings).
special pack variants, unique paint job and 30% cbill boost

Pretty sure based on the filters available on the "select mech" screen that they don't bother to categorize as anything other than Champion, Hero, or Special anymore with all the other assorted letters falling under the special category now.

At least I hope so, because they were really starting to go a little wild with all various (?) designations.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostLadyDanams, on 11 January 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

Pretty sure based on the filters available on the "select mech" screen that they don't bother to categorize as anything other than Champion, Hero, or Special anymore with all the other assorted letters falling under the special category now.

At least I hope so, because they were really starting to go a little wild with all various (?) designations.

Exclusively distinguishes "Champions", and puts all special versions of any variant into it. There's a heroes distinction too. But that's about it.

#16 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:38 PM

Do not forget that CW has certain ranks that will award MC as well, it's not much but can add up and buy a few colors or mechbays.

I rarely notice an enemy's paint scheme. But do to haveing bought so many preorders I have all of my mechs in various camos and own a large variety of colors.

If you are interested in slick paint for your mechs wait for a MC sale, buy as much as your desire and then wait for a camo sale that will 35% to 50% off of patterns and colors. Really cuts the cost down. I always fully unlock my camos that I buy, but one shotting can cheapen the cost as long as you never change it to something else.

#17 Sturmwolf

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:40 AM

View PostRhavin, on 11 January 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

Do not forget that CW has certain ranks that will award MC as well, it's not much but can add up and buy a few colors or mechbays.

I rarely notice an enemy's paint scheme. But do to haveing bought so many preorders I have all of my mechs in various camos and own a large variety of colors.

If you are interested in slick paint for your mechs wait for a MC sale, buy as much as your desire and then wait for a camo sale that will 35% to 50% off of patterns and colors. Really cuts the cost down. I always fully unlock my camos that I buy, but one shotting can cheapen the cost as long as you never change it to something else.

Great advice mate.
How often does sales change? Weekly or seasonal?

I thought to get me another mech set next week. Warhammer.
Any thoughts on that one? What mech in game is kinda similar to try out?

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:31 AM

View PostSturmwolf, on 12 January 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

Great advice mate.
How often does sales change? Weekly or seasonal?

I thought to get me another mech set next week. Warhammer.
Any thoughts on that one? What mech in game is kinda similar to try out?

There's often a sale on "Something" every Friday to every other Friday. There seems to be certain seasons when they seem more rampant with sales, but they seem to shortly after announcing big projects...which would need a sizeable amount of money to achieve (for example, faction/community warfare phase 3 with a new 4 vs 4 game mode that apparently will have voice acting from a "dropship commander" as well as making noticeable differences between Merc and Faction units).

#19 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:13 PM

Warhammer has alot of people excited, it should be fairly strong. If it's not expect screams and threats of rage quitting all over because it has long been considered the iconic battle mech from source materials. Several books have been written about the pilot of the hero version of the mech as well and it's probably the most anticipated release since us fanboys where anticipating the release of MWO itself.

Simular mech in game now would be the stock Hellbringer , which is the Clan Omni mech that was designed to replace the Warhammer in front line roles. On paper the warhammer looks capable of fielding a large variety of energy and ballistic loadouts to great effect. You probably will not be disappointed with the purchase of a Warhammer, at 20 bucks it's most likely a good deal.

No guarantee though, I went all out on it myself collector and hero purchased! And that's despite me saying I wouldn't buy anything else till I had fully elited the 100ish mechs I already own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users