Performance Pack Sale Choice.

Question

3 replies to this topic

#1 Quik_Pip

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

Hi All,
I a pretty new enough player and since MWO came to steam i have playing a bit more. I have yet to by any mechs and i was close to buying the Heavy Performance Pack during the steam sale but decided to put it off and it might have a heaver discount at some other stage. I like both IS and clan so don't want to tie myself down to just one faction. Saying that i love the Timberwolf Posted Image . With the Performance Pack C-Bill sale i taught it would be a good time to buy some mechs.
I have about 35M C-Bills saved so I was thinking of getting 3 Hunchbacks (To elite at somestage) and a Timberwolf or 2 with the aim of getting the Heavy Performance Pack later down the road. My preferred play-style is Long to medium range sniper or perhaps medium range brawling. Not too fond of up close and personal fighting.
I was thinking of getting the 4G, 4J and the 4P or 4SP for hunchback ( I might be tempted to get the Medium Performance Pack if it hits a good price on steam, but might just stick with the Heavy ).
As for the timberwolf i'm pretty sure i may only be able to afford one as i will need some cash for hunchback upgrades, so i was thinking of getting the TBR-S, and perhaps the TBR-Prime if i'm feeling gutsy enough to spend all my cash.

Any thoughts? I didn't think i should get a mix of classes starting out, e.g. some lights and assaults aswell. Am i going down the right path of sticking with Medium and Heavies first?

Any helpful input would be great.

Thanks

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

Mediums and heavies are definitely the best place to start, they are easier to play than Lights or Assaults as with those 2 classes 1 mistake will often get you killed, ether because Lights nave so little armor or because an assault often cannot recover from a positioning error.

The Hunchback is definitely a good choice for your first Mech, buying and outfitting a Hunchback will cost 6-8 million, you will want the Endo Steal and Double Heat Sinks upgrade, then to use the weight saved for a larger engine (250 or 275 Standard are my recommendation) then use any extra weight for more Heat Sinks or ammo, and to upgrade and small lasers to medium. the Engine costs about 1.5 million and can be shared between all Hunchbacks, meaning total cost to buy and upgrade 3 will be about 20 million.

as for your Hunchbacks here is a basic breakdown of the stock loadout and the roles they are best suited for,
4G, AC20 and lasers, best for close in brawling
4H, AC10 and lasers, close to mid range brawling/skrimishing
4P, lasers, best for skirmishing
4J LRMs and Missiles, best used at 200-600m, try to maintain line of sight and fit a TAG laser for faster locks
4SP, SRMs and Lasers, brawler
Grid Iron, Hero Mech (costs real money) Gauss Rifle lasers and SRM, sniper

I would then advise unlocking the basic and elite skills on 3 HBKs, by that point you should have learned how to shield components (protecting your Hunch, if you loose that most of your weapons are gone, that is an extremely useful skill for any Mech) by the time you have elited your 3 HBKs you should have enough to get your 3 Timber Wolves

as for the Timber Wolf, that is a Clan Omnimech, the Prime has a Balistic slot in the Center Torso, the S is the only one with Jumpjets, and has a JJ CT, the others all have an Energy slot CT, other than the CT all parts can be swapped between Mechs allowing you to perform major customization on your hardpoints. I would advise getting the Prime the S and which other of the others looks best to you so you have all 3 Center Torsos.

#3 Leartes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

I would burn all my cbills on discounted mechs during the sale and then outfit them after the sale ends. e.g. start playing the clanners since they don't need much. Then when cbills role in buy engine and stuff for one hunchback, possibly swap engines when you go for the next etc. At the beginning don't buy redundant parts until you know which mechs you want to keep the way they are.

#4 Quik_Pip

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info,
I guess i could get the TBR-S and the prime, get 3 Hunchbacks and keep enough cash to fully upgrade one of them. Then grind for cash with the Timberwolves and the kitted out Hunchback. Might fully kit out a H4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users