Ach Prime Build Question

9 replies to this topic

#1 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:47 AM

I use the ACH Prime (S) with great success. It's the same as the trial Arctic Cheetah:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=351&l=stock

I have compared it to a competitive tier build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...884ec031dff5dc2

These 2 builds are very close. I would like your opinion on the best choices regarding their differences.

1. Competitive uses SML Pulse ; trial uses SML (regular). Which one is the best here ?
Regular SML does less damage but heats less, weights less and has a better range. You have 6 weapons instead of 5 plus 1 double heatsink and a target comp in addition ! Seems to be that regular SML is better.

2. I almost never overheat. May I replace double heatsink + targeting comp 1 with targeting comp 3 ?

3. Competitive build uses a front / rear armor ratio of 22/6. Trial uses 24/4. What is the best ?

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:00 AM

1 and 3 are mostly personal preference. For example I like pulse for how easy they make placing all your damage on the same component. Pulses are, somehow, more aggressive.
About armor, keep a log of your armor at the end of the games, of where you took damage - if you take damage mostly from the front, up your front armor, etc. Ideally you want most of your armor in the front and be aware of your positioning so you don't need rear armor.

2. No. The advantage of TC3 over TC1 is negligible, and certainly doesn't worth the extra tonnage. Also, the more comfortable you'll be with your mech the more you'll fire and the more you'll generate heat.

#3 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:43 AM

Personally I prefer the ER-small laser version for better heat efficiency and damage in prolonged battles, but then again I'm not really a light mech pilot.

The competitive build is made with 8vs8 competitive matches in mind, where the role of light mechs is often to counter other lights and the matches tend to be shorter and much more organized. This is where the small pulse version is better, shorter beam duration means that you will be more likely to connect most of the damage to the component that you want to hit, usually a light mech's leg. Worse heat eff and range does not mean as much in these matches.

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:58 AM

Short answer: Try both, see which one you can use better.

The best lasers are those you can use more. The competitive build sacrifices range for sustained DPS. Your choice depends on whether you are better at hugging enemies (SPL), or poking at some range (ERSL/ERML), and how good you are with heat management.

The best *** armour is whatever you make of it. Check your mech's ragdoll whenever you get blown up to see from which side you got shot last. This will tell you where you need more/less, or how to adjust your movement.

BTW, there is an even longer range, but hotter, build: 2xERML+4xERSL.

Edited by Modo44, 13 January 2016 - 02:58 AM.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:17 AM

as the others have said, it is all down to personal preference, I usualy prefer SPL to SL (Inner Sphere) or ERSL (Clan because of the shorter duration, SPL is definitely the right weapon to hunt down other lights, it is also good for high speed strafing runs, however if you are tackling slower Mechs the longer range of the ERSL is probably more useful

#6 ProfessorD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:42 AM

Both builds are totally suitable. That's a very refreshing change from the usual questions about builds on these forums, where all options an OP proposes are ****.

I don't use targeting computers at all on my Cheetahs; I find I need all the heat sinks I can fit. Plenty of people have already said "personal preference" here, though, so you know how that works at this point.

The biggest difference between these builds is the burn duration of the lasers. The ER Smalls burn longer, so it is harder to deliver all of the damage to a target. When you test these out, watch yourself carefully in combat, and see if you are really holding the ER Small beam on target for the full duration. If you and your target are both moving, that isn't easy. If you are holding your beams on target reliably, the extra heatsinks of the ER Small build are a good idea. If not, use the Small Pulses.

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,063 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

Those are both good builds. Another option is a split build. Maybe use a C-pod in the right arm and run 4x splas and 2x slas. Not using the ams to their fullest seems strange to me. That said I do make full use of arm lock both on and off depending on the situation.

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,154 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:15 AM

View Postepikt, on 13 January 2016 - 02:00 AM, said:

1 and 3 are mostly personal preference. For example I like pulse for how easy they make placing all your damage on the same component. Pulses are, somehow, more aggressive.
About armor, keep a log of your armor at the end of the games, of where you took damage - if you take damage mostly from the front, up your front armor, etc. Ideally you want most of your armor in the front and be aware of your positioning so you don't need rear armor.

2. No. The advantage of TC3 over TC1 is negligible, and certainly doesn't worth the extra tonnage. Also, the more comfortable you'll be with your mech the more you'll fire and the more you'll generate heat.

^This is the correct answer. I have one built each way and for a comp drop would take one or the other based on map and plan. My back armor is...not near 6. ;)

#9 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

You say you almost never overheat and are thinking about a bigger TC. I suggest 6 small pulse instead for the shorter duration and higher damage.

#10 Goritude

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:48 AM

Thank you for all your answers.

I will monitor the 'dead ragdoll' for armor ratio.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. I will keep this build because you say both are ok and because as I said, I do wonders with him. Sometimes I have pilot skill up even though our team lost. And damages once 735.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users