- - - - -

A Good Heinz 57 ?

11 replies to this topic

#1 MiljoTonnes

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:45 AM

What mech in your opinion is the variety mech as in does everything good but nothing best.

I love my Blacknights but they are not good at the small maps like frozen city,
what do you think is the best all rounder where as all the different types of maps/roles.

#2 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

I'd say Timberwolf.

#3 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostMiljoTonnes, on 11 January 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

What mech in your opinion is the variety mech as in does everything good but nothing best.

what do you think is the best all rounder where as all the different types of maps/roles.

Jack of all Trades, Master of None? That my friend, is a loaded question. What is your preferred playstyle? Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault?

A Medium mech is probably the most versatile. A mixed loadout, Ballistic, Missile, and Energy, because of game mechanics, however, is usually not very effective.

Boating weapons or just a single weapon type is much easier to play. Also any mechs with high mounted weapons are usually more effective for new players. Blackjack, Jagermech, Stalker come to mind. Hunchbacks are usually a good beginner mech, if you don't mind having your weapons concentrated on one side of the mech.

Why don't you like your Black Knight? Are you running it stock?

#4 MiljoTonnes

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 11 January 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

Jack of all Trades, Master of None? That my friend, is a loaded question. What is your preferred playstyle? Light, Medium, Heavy, Assault?

A Medium mech is probably the most versatile. A mixed loadout, Ballistic, Missile, and Energy, because of game mechanics, however, is usually not very effective.

Boating weapons or just a single weapon type is much easier to play. Also any mechs with high mounted weapons are usually more effective for new players. Blackjack, Jagermech, Stalker come to mind. Hunchbacks are usually a good beginner mech, if you don't mind having your weapons concentrated on one side of the mech.

I like to use cover and shoot at med-long range but be able to do damage at short range when they get closer to me, so light/medium with good speed.

#5 MiljoTonnes

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 11 January 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

I do like my Blaknights but they are not that good at running and guning, if i could get them to run 95+ KPH then thats all i would use forever,. :)

#6 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

Based on your reply, I would recommend the Blackjack. In particular, the BJ-1X. It doesn't have jumpjets, but it will accept a larger engine than the rest of BJs. I run mine with (2) LL and (4) ML with a max engine.

#7 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

Stormcrow

#8 MiljoTonnes

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 11 January 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

Based on your reply, I would recommend the Blackjack. In particular, the BJ-1X. It doesn't have jumpjets, but it will accept a larger engine than the rest of BJs. I run mine with (2) LL and (4) ML with a max engine.

HMMM i do have a blackjack which i had the best game of my time in MWO...10-7 down and killed the last 5 to win the game,
i think i'll stick an XL on that and see how i do, i used 2PPC's and as many ML as i could fit.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostMiljoTonnes, on 11 January 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

View PostBilbo, on 11 January 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

I'd say Timberwolf.

View PostRyokens leap, on 11 January 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Stormcrow

no, in both cases they are jack of all trades master of several, not what MiljoTonnes asked for.

more seriously, the Timber Wolf and Stormcrow can both competently perform most roles but will be focused down by the enemy because they are well known as 2 of the best Mechs in the game, I would avoid until you have learned to spread damage, they are also rather expensive to master compared to the other suggestions, mostly because they have fixed engines where as with most of the other Mechs suggested you can swap the engine between variants.

the Stormcrow can perform like a 97/104KPH Black Knight but is more expensive and when you understand spreading damage probably more durable, but the Black Knight is a low priority target while the Stormcrow is a high priority target.

I would recommend the Hunchback or Blackjack based on your requests, both can achieve the speeds you are looking for and can be very durable, the Hunchback especially will teach you how to make the Mech survive more damage, if you go for the HBK I would suggest the 4P (9 Energy hardpoints) 4SP (5 Energy and 2 Missile hardpoints) and 4H (1 Ballistic and 5 Energy hardpoints).
with max engine the Hunchback will move at 89.1kph with no skills unlocked or 95.8 after you unlock the speed tweak skill.

#10 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

Centurions do well with mixed loadouts.

#11 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

The Clan Loki does everything above with ECM. The stock loadouts have so much variety at different ranges that inner sphere pilots who first faced them in the invasion nicknamed them the Hellbringer. Great speed, good armor, various types of hardpoints, only thing it lacks is jumpjets. Alot of people load it with 5 medium lasers and a ultra 10. I prefer lasers and srms with some extra heat sinks. The daka calls too much attention. You flank someone and hit them with lasers and many times they don't turn till you 6 them in the back. My ranged build is large pulse with a few MG to activate some critical when the brawl develops. I do love the Timberwolves and stormcrows though as said above, they get focused. A hellbringer can as well but they have to kill your Jesus box first.

#12 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one.

The only mech I've had success with long range, and short range combat with was an Atlas. But even then I wasn't trying to be both long range and short range at the same time.

My Atlas had medium lasers, ac/20 and LRMs. I dumped the LRMS at the start of the match, and by the time I was in brawling range, I was attacking softened up targets. So this mech might not be a jack of all trades but more of an old school battletech mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users