Is Owning 4 Mechs A Must For Cw?

35 replies to this topic

#21 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:33 AM

For IS the tonnage restriction is currently between 160 and 265. That has changed (and probably will again) due to balance, and possibly to keep things interesting. 65 ton mechs are a good bet (Thunderbolts in particular for IS) because they fit nicely into any deck at any weight.

My unit usually recommends everyone take an assault, 2 heavies, and a light to fit out usual strategy. We have lots of players who bring trial mechs, and a lot who only have 4 owned mechs. You don't need to tailor your deck to the planet/game mode, but it really helps. As others have said, the most important thing is teamwork. We've gotten the [FOX] tag on many planets, even with players in trial mechs.

Edited by Darwins Dog, 12 January 2016 - 07:33 AM.

#22 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 12 January 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

At the beginning I played only lights and for a long time I took a trial banshee to CW to meet min. weight restrictions. You can take a trial to CW, just leave it for the last, when the match is often decided anyway. Also, play with those trials a bit before, to check if they work for you and how they handle.

I'd disagree with this, you don't want to ever leave your slowest mech for last. By that point of the game, time is often a factor, and your teammates will likely be in their lightest mechs. If you're attacking, and your team has properly regrouped between each wave, all of your teammates will be stuck waiting for your slow mech to push with the group, or will have to leave you behind.
You might have more leeway in a defense match, but in any attack or counter-attack match, you should go in roughly ascending order with your slowest mechs first.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostKoniving, on 12 January 2016 - 04:21 AM, said:

Also reminded of something important: Do not (for now) click "Pledge Loyalty." Instead, click X days you want to be allied to a unit. It's expensive to change, and right now there isn't a difference between merc and faction units. AFTER Phase 3 there apparently will be, but for now there isn't.

To add to this in a way I couldn't earlier today because tablet:

#24 Eillot Dayes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 12 January 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

We've gotten the [FOX] tag on many planets, even with players in trial mechs.

Good advice Darwin on the type of mech classes and their numbers to take. That said, by the way, I do see some clan tags on some planets in CW. How does a clan get a tag on a planet. I mean obviously if you are an aggressor you simply get your tag if you conquer a planet I imagine. However, if you are a defender of a faction, how do you get your tag over one of your faction's planet?

I ask because I noticed on Liaos faction, the CCAP have tags on some of the liaos faction planets, but CCAP is a liaos unit.

#25 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:15 PM

I'm not 100% certain on the numbers, but I think that if one unit contributes more than half of the wins for capturing a planet, then they put their tag on it.

If a Liao unit has a tag on a Liao planet, then that means they captured that planet.

#26 Eillot Dayes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

Got

View PostDarwins Dog, on 12 January 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

I'm not 100% certain on the numbers, but I think that if one unit contributes more than half of the wins for capturing a planet, then they put their tag on it.

If a Liao unit has a tag on a Liao planet, then that means they captured that planet.

That's odd. How do they do that? I mean how could they attack a planet which belongs to the faction they are in??

Also, its cheaper isn't it, to perhaps use 2 of the same heavy mech? Possibly even two identical heavy mechs, since that is allowed, you are more familiar with it than trying to use credits and time to master two different heavy mechs?

Edited by Eillot Dayes, 12 January 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#27 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

That's odd. How do they do that? I mean how could they attack a planet which belongs to the faction they are in??

Either the planet did not belong to liao, or the planet got conquered by another faction and later on recaptured by liao forces.

Edited by LOADED, 12 January 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#28 Mannson

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, trial mechs have served me well actually in CW.

Just remember to take a trial mech first to trainning ground and then do some quick matches to get familiar with it and use that info to construct a drop deck that is best employed by YOU

That is what drop leaders want, decent pilots who listen. Goes long way! Mechs are less of importance, it is how they are utilized and how pilots work with each other.

#29 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

I'm interested to run community warfare but I only own a few mechs. Really only 1-2 equipped mechs.

I hear you need to own 4 mechs or you will drag down the team. True or false?

FALSE. Would be NICE, but the game is built (so far) to allow you to play with TRIAL mechs for any/all of the four slots in your drop deck. You WILL still need to select which mechs to take.

Also, when doing CW, if you belong to house Liaos in my case, can I use clan mechs?

If no clan mechs allowed, am I allowed to use simply any IS mechs or only the ones manufactured by liaos?

Thanks for answering!

NO. When playing for any IS faction (Davion, Steiner, Kurita, Marik, Liao, FRR), you are limited to ONLY IS mechs. When playing for any CLAN faction (Jade Falcon, Wolf, Ghost Bear, Smoke Jaguar), you are limited to ONLY Clan mechs (omnimechs OR battlemechs, and hopefully you will have a greater selection available later this year).

You are NOT limited to those mechs common to the particular faction you're playing (such as RVN-3Ls being ONLY Liao, as ANY IS house's forces or mercenaries may use that mech, even AGAINST Liao). Go nuts and use a full Davion-peculiar deck as a Liao loyalist! It's cool, bruh.

Welcome aboard, BTW!

#30 Eillot Dayes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

View PostMannson, on 12 January 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

Yeah, trial mechs have served me well actually in CW.

Just remember to take a trial mech first to trainning ground and then do some quick matches to get familiar with it and use that info to construct a drop deck that is best employed by YOU

That is what drop leaders want, decent pilots who listen. Goes long way! Mechs are less of importance, it is how they are utilized and how pilots work with each other.

Not true at all.

I been playing CW a few matches , whichever I can get in today and this is my experience so far:

over 50% of the time, the opposition are pre-mades

I play on liaos side and I think i just want out now. Cause most the time, liaos are puggers, and I'm not sure why but I'm almost always given a counter attack objective which is harder IMO as opposed to defense.

PUG + uphill battle (counter attack modes) vs pre-mades = 99.9% ****.

Ugh...

Oh I got a question please. Is there any way to know the mission type for a particular planet CW match when you join? Such as whether it will be defense or counter attack etc? I wish I can pick my mission types!

Edited by Eillot Dayes, 12 January 2016 - 11:58 PM.

#31 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:33 AM

Got

Also, its cheaper isn't it, to perhaps use 2 of the same heavy mech? Possibly even two identical heavy mechs, since that is allowed, you are more familiar with it than trying to use credits and time to master two different heavy mechs?

Yes, you can (for example) start a new account and buy 4x Quickdraws, 4x Dragons or 4x Mad Dogs. They fit in the initial 4 slots, are safe at the default 240 ton limit (even whe PGI lowers the existing limits it's doubtful they will go below 240 tons) and you can elite/master them.

50-60 tonners will be okay for this in most cases (4x Hunchbacks, 4x Novas, 4x Stormcrows) as long as you can play those mechs well it should be fine.

My current CW dropdeck consists of 4 Jagermech DDs, each with 3 UAC/5s :P

#32 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:03 AM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

Oh I got a question please. Is there any way to know the mission type for a particular planet CW match when you join? Such as whether it will be defense or counter attack etc? I wish I can pick my mission types!

So, the matches are supposed to waffle between attack and counter attack. Therefore every match you drop on counter attack means the match before an after should be invasions. Often, depended on how active the planet is, that may mean your constantly getting one mode because of the timing. You may need to stagger your games. Try watching the little progress bars on the planet, maybe you'll see what the last mode launched was.

Also, if your options were counter attack or defense, that means you were defending a planet. At the moment you are often more likely to find a unit attacking because defenders can come from any faction on the opposing side (Clan Vs IS wise.) thus attackers get matches quicker. Before you leave Liao, (And, to be fair I'm not saying don't, just consider) I'd suggest trying some attacks with em, hopefully enough games to get your rank two and free mechbay. That should give you a better feel for the faction.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 13 January 2016 - 04:04 AM.

#33 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:04 AM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 11:53 PM, said:

Not true at all.

I been playing CW a few matches , whichever I can get in today and this is my experience so far:

over 50% of the time, the opposition are pre-mades

I play on liaos side and I think i just want out now. Cause most the time, liaos are puggers, and I'm not sure why but I'm almost always given a counter attack objective which is harder IMO as opposed to defense.

PUG + uphill battle (counter attack modes) vs pre-mades = 99.9% ****.

Ugh...

when you click on a planet it tells you exactly what is in the queue on your side, the number of groups of each size on your team try to find planets where there is an 8+ persion group and they need 1-2 pilots to make it to the full 12, then you are likely to be with an organized group.

in answer to your question
you do not know what map or mode until the match is formed, after you are given that information you have 1 minute to reconfigure your dropdeck.

#34 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

Got

They don't.
The planet is Captured which then puts it on their side.

#35 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:42 AM

Planet tags can also change based on who is defending it, I believe.

#36 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:34 AM

View PostEillot Dayes, on 12 January 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

Flip mentioned for now mechs are not attached to houses. Will this change in future?

The short answer is "we don't know, but doubtful".

The longer answer is that this is something lore hounds want to see (along with a lot of other lore-based restrictions in general), but PGI has heretofore been reluctant to adhere closely to lore, especially when it results in limiting player actions/choices.

As a larger example, the initial plan for MWO was to pick a "start date" in lore for the game to be taking place, and accelerate the timeline according to a schedule (i.e. X days in real time = Y days in lore), with new mechs becoming available in game in line with the advancement of the timeline, according to lore.

As it turns out, this became very restricting to PGI in meeting player desires to have certain mechs available to play and we've seen a couple of "timeline jumps" to quickly advance the timeline and make those mechs available as a result. I heard a rumor yesterday (was on a reddit thread) where someone claimed that the timeline is now a minor consideration in MWO and not something PGI will be adhering to any longer.

Hearing that and then hearing the idea that certain mechs would be limited to certain houses/faction for CW tells me the latter isn't likely to happen.

Edited by Khereg, 13 January 2016 - 08:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users