Designating Targets

4 replies to this topic

#1 Yusuf Khan

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:25 AM

Occasional player trying to get back into the game. Thought this might be a good question to ask?

When I was playing CW the other day I noticed that other players started calling targets (like... "Alpha Alpha, Orange Arctic Cheetah"). I also noticed there was also a "AA" sign on top of that particular mech.

Does anyone know how to do this? I wasn't able to find out how to do so...

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:32 AM

the usual way to call targets is to use a word to represent its letter, usualy the NATO alphabet, a=Alpha, b=Bravo, C=Charley and so on, as well as calling the Mech type and possibly also the grid referance/

in a CW match there are 48 Mechs in a team so after it gets to z it starts doubeling up on a letter, so AA=Alpha Alpha

so if I was to see an Atlas, with the letter H in grid D7 I would call "Hotel, Atlas, Delta 7".

If you are in an organized team everyone should know what you mean however in a solo queue match many players will not so it would not hurt to explain what you are doing before the match starts

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 12 January 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#3 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:41 AM

Yes, the double A which you saw is the designation which is referenced.
Each 'Mech gets a unique identification (for that match) automaticly. You only have to press R to target the 'Mech or press and hold Q to get all designations over the 'Mechs.

I am not exactly sure what your questions was, if it is still unanswered after my and Rogue Jedi's post, please state again what your question was :)

#4 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,885 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:43 AM

Please note also that a (perhaps "the") point of calling targets is not only to let your team know where the enemy is and what its composed of, but to provide a basis for FOCUSING FIRE. I always thought that this went without saying (but I have been proven wrong).

So when Rouge Jedi (in the example above) calls out "Hotel, Atlas, Delta 7" and there are obviously numerous mechs thereabout (look at the mini map), you and your team want to ALL shot at said Atlas, designated Hotel, to the extent possible.

IMHO focusing fire to systematically reduce the number (and quality) of your opponents is thee key to winning in CW. It is a lot harder than it sounds however.

#5 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

I beleive the question being asked is 'How would the OP call targets, should they desire to do so?'

To which I reply, 'The default button for the Voice over IP thingy that we use in game is 'Capslock', and whilest pressed will allow you to speak to your team, and is much easier than stopping the action to try typing something out.'

~Leone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users