- - - - -

Is There A Preferred Class For Use In Cw?

6 replies to this topic

#1 DaJokr

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

I've only played 1 CW watch so far, and we got annihilated. At the time I had only 1 mech in my deck though, and although I did well in that one mech...it was far from anything I would brag about.

I've only been at this game a couple weeks now, started with a ACH-C which I liked. I moved into the LCT and really enjoyed the fast paced game style it provided which led me to my second favourite mech, the LCT-PB. I'm working on finishing eliting the LCT varients I have now. I gotta say, my favourite so far has been my RVN-H. I've managed to pull close to 1000dmg in pug matches a few times now, however I haven't has as much success with the 3L or 4X varients (finally eeked out enough xp from them to elite and max out my -H though...honestly didn't see any multipliers effecting my basic skills though which I found odd).

Anyways, my question is, will a deck in CW comprising of nothing but lights actually help? Or is it more of a hinderence? I get absolutely obliterated in any other class, and maybe that's because I'm used to hit and run tactics to much, but every other mech just feels heavy, slow and vulnerable, especially since I'm getting proficient with how a light works and know they can work most other mechs over 1v1 if the pilot is skilled enough. I've stayed away from CW since that game for fear of being a contributing factor in my team losing. How would you all feel if a player joined and just ran lights an entire match? Are they actually useful in CW? Or do you really need to be in a group that knows how to utilize lights in the group?

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostDaJokr, on 12 January 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

Anyways, my question is, will a deck in CW comprising of nothing but lights actually help? Or is it more of a hinderence?

you cannot have a deck consisting of only lights, the minimum tonnage is 160, 4 35 ton Lights work out as 140 tons, so you have to take a 55+ ton Mech if you want 3 Lights.

if you do best with Lights then there is no reason not to take them, there are those who will say you are foolish for not taking your full tonnage but if it means you are fielding your most successful/favorite Mechs I cannot see a good reason not to take 3 Lights assuming they are your best Mechs.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 12 January 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:44 AM

Depends. Attackers tend to like lights and heavies and defenders tend to like assaults heavies and mediums.

What matters is having both high firepower and high speed solutions to fit the situation.

#4 DaJokr

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

Then I guess it's back to the trial mechs to find something in the other 3 classes that I can fit my playstyle. Thanks.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

Cicadas are buffer "lights" at 40 tons. Many mediums of the 50 ton persuasion fit a work horse light persona with high engines. Trebuchets especially. Kintaro of the 55 ton persuasion is also a likely candidate.

#6 DaJokr

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

Thanks, I will definitely look into those mechs and there varients. I'm sure I can find something to fit my playstyle in them.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostDaJokr, on 12 January 2016 - 09:38 AM, said:

I've only played 1 CW watch so far, and we got annihilated. At the time I had only 1 mech in my deck though, and although I did well in that one mech...it was far from anything I would brag about.

I've only been at this game a couple weeks now, started with a ACH-C which I liked. I moved into the LCT and really enjoyed the fast paced game style it provided which led me to my second favourite mech, the LCT-PB. I'm working on finishing eliting the LCT varients I have now. I gotta say, my favourite so far has been my RVN-H. I've managed to pull close to 1000dmg in pug matches a few times now, however I haven't has as much success with the 3L or 4X varients (finally eeked out enough xp from them to elite and max out my -H though...honestly didn't see any multipliers effecting my basic skills though which I found odd).

Anyways, my question is, will a deck in CW comprising of nothing but lights actually help? Or is it more of a hinderence? I get absolutely obliterated in any other class, and maybe that's because I'm used to hit and run tactics to much, but every other mech just feels heavy, slow and vulnerable, especially since I'm getting proficient with how a light works and know they can work most other mechs over 1v1 if the pilot is skilled enough. I've stayed away from CW since that game for fear of being a contributing factor in my team losing. How would you all feel if a player joined and just ran lights an entire match? Are they actually useful in CW? Or do you really need to be in a group that knows how to utilize lights in the group?

Actually, a lights-only deck in CW is mathematically impossible. The minimum tonnage for a drop deck, Clan or IS, is 160 tons across four mechs. That means that, even if you took all four Ravens, you'd be 20 tons short of the MINIMUM. Therefore, no-can-do.

Bouncing off that minimum DD tonnage is GENERALLY considered bad form. If you're really REALLY good at piloting those lights, you might get away with it. Well-piloted light mechs in CW can wreak PURE HAVOC, especially in large packs.

But, keep in mind that your teammates who are big fans of ASSAULT mechs, for instance, cannot take a full deck of those either. The lightest assault class mech is 80 tons. Times four mechs, that's 320 tons, which is WAY over the DD tonnage limits we have now (which are as high as I've seen them since my return to MWO in August). So, here's some advice...

Take maybe THREE. Add a fourth mech in the ASSAULT class, as big and heavy and dastardly as can be. You said you like the ACH-C, right? Run that, another ACH, and the trial/Champion ACH, and then the Dire Wolf Champion/trial. The trial mechs that are also CHAMPION mechs? They're stout. We the players created those. They rock (as much as some chassis' can, anyhow). The DWF-W(C) is a ridiculously powerful Gauss-vomit build with well over 100 points of front CT armor. Take it out first in a couple of solo queue matches to get a feel for it, of course. Sure, it's the diametric opposite of what you like, but you NEED to make up for that light stuff (trust me, I LOVE light mechs as much as anyone, but I wouldn't dare do the 100% light DD even if I COULD). Go be a mid-range damage sponge and rock that relatively heat-efficient 77-point alpha strike! ESPECIALLY if on Defend or Hold Territory. Then pull out the lights and get CRAZY with the Cheez Whiz!

Now, along the way, you want to eventually work up to AT LEAST the full ELITE skill level on all of the mechs you're taking, and that also means OWNING those mechs (or HAVING OWNED them when you hit that level, anyhow). And you'd ideally like to have a full set of the right mech and weapon and consumable modules for each of the mechs in your deck. And THEN, you want to have a bunch of different mechs BUILT, modules and all, ready to swap into your deck depending on the map you're playing. After all, what works on Emerald Taiga might be less-than-ideal on Hellebore Springs. And so on. So, keep a full deck's worth built around hot, moderate, and cold maps, and long, mid-, and short ranges. THAT is a lot of mechs. And honestly, it's gonna take a LONG time to build that up. I've been at this game for most of the last 3+ years, and I'm still building up. The more you play, the more money you make, the more mechs and modules you buy, the more XP and GXP you grind, the more skills and modules you unlock, etc. Be patient, and have a goal in mind to work for.

IF you only have a limited amount of time to play in a given day/evening/whatever, then make it a point to get that First-Victory-of-the-Day bonus on as many owned mechs as you can, starting with those you MOST need to skill up. You'd be surprised just how quickly you can ELITE a drop deck's worth of mechs that way.

Discipline yourself with your CBills, and test your builds with SMURFY first before you blow CBills on them in mech lab. If you have a few minutes, run a new build through the Mechwarrior Academy's target practice, onslaught, and/or battle zone features, in different times of day and temperatures, to see how well it handles heat, and to get a baseline idea how much to discipline your fires to avoid overheating before the enemy. Be SMART, is what I'm saying. At least, be DELIBERATE, and HAVE A GOAL IN MIND. CONCRETE goal. "I want to ELITE the ACH-A today, and BASIC the SHC-B." THOSE are concrete goals. Big picture? "I want to have an ACH-A built for NARC spotting, and a SHC-B built for ERLL sniping, for my drop deck; the ACH will be an all-decks build, and the SHC will be long-range NOT-HOT maps." That's more like it. "I want a full deck for long-range direct fire, and indirect fire spotting/support, for Clan drops." Yeah. THAT's more like it, you generalist!

Seriously. There are TONS of good videos on YouTube and Vimeo and Twitch, of people playing CW drops and doing REALLY well. Watch 'em. See what they're dropping in. See what weapons and tactics and mechs are working for them, and what's getting crushed like a cheap beer can BY them. Get a feel for how they're built for different maps, and how they work with the heat there. Adapt that to your play style and preferences. Set your goals appropriately. Execute. Let NOTHING stand in your way, mechwarrior!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users