8 replies to this topic

#1 ZelionFM

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:18 AM

Heyo,

I don't really know if this is the right place to post this, because I'm not one to usually look at forums. But, I'm a new player to MWO looking to return to the series. I played the hell out of Vengeance, Mercs 4, and that simulator pod station when I was a kid, and though Mercs 4 servers went kaput, I still came back to it and played single player over the years.

I'm looking to relearn the competitive game, and mainly just find people to play with, as Mechwarrior was always a team game, and more often than not, pugs are just kind of... well, silent.

As a person, I'm pretty laid back, I'm kind, I go with the flow and take my losses with pride, so I can learn from my mistakes. I'm pretty good at following instructions an whatnot, as I never really was one for commanding. Too much pressure. But, I haven't really found a groove I particulary like in this game yet. In mercs 4, I often ran Missile Support Catapult or Gauss Dragon when I played online, but admittedly, I'm very rusty at them.

#2 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

Welcome to MWO. Try the training tutorial yet? If not start there, this game is far more complicated than previous MW titles. Playing it through will give you cbills , along with the first 25 games you play which grant a bonus. This will allow you to buy your first mech or mechs.

The are Units that play competitive MWO, though I am not into it. You can find them here on these boards or on reddit.

The community is great, with low tolerance for people who demean new players. Looking for info here on the New Player forum is always advisable till you know the game, and even afterwards.

At the moment LRM mechs are strong against new players, but as your Teir lvl improves you will find they become harder to use effectively. Guass rifles work differently in that they must charge before fireing. It is tricky at first but if you manage to get the hang of it they are powerful weapons. The Dragon is in game, though it's not the beast it once was early on and in other titles, but if you want them they are there for the piloting.

Best advice I can give is to play as many matchs in the trial mechs as you need to figure out what mechs you have success in, and then play those some more before you buy. Always finish a match and pay attention while spectating, especially if a teammate is piloting a mech that you just died in.

Good luck

#3 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

I'm probably pre-empting him but when RogueJedi appears he'd probably refer you to have a look at his own unit the Praetorian Legion.

Though he'd also recommend you to look at the Hiring Halls: http://mwomercs.com/...ons-merc-corps/

Take a good look around, try and determine the level of competitiveness you're looking for and what the different groups are offering and just see what group of people you'll fit in with.

Welcome to the game!

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 12 January 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

I'm probably pre-empting him but when RogueJedi appears he'd probably refer you to have a look at his own unit the Praetorian Legion.

Though he'd also recommend you to look at the Hiring Halls: http://mwomercs.com/...ons-merc-corps/

you beat me by seconds.

I would suggest playing the tutorial and at least your first 25 games before looking for a unit.

when you are ready I would suggest visiting a few units websites before making a decision and applying, as some units are purely competitive, some are purely casual, some have a mixture and some are only in a single nation/timezone while others are international

you can find a unit in the community warfare forums, or just look in players signatures.

I am part of an international unit, with players from many time zones and of all skill levels, we will happily help train you up, if you are interested there is a link in my signature, we take contracts with both Clan and IS, usualy alternating on a 2 week basis, Clan/IS, usualy with a vote open to all members for the next 4 weeks 2 contracts (although that is only relevant for Faction Play)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 12 January 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#5 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

Well good news is that the community for this game is strong, and so is the support of PGI for the series. If you are a looking for a single player campaign, well its coming but its going to be awhile. If you are looking for fellow pilots to kick mechs across the galaxy, then there are other boards which are specifically out there for recruiting players into guilds/clans/corps/merc/etc.

Welcome back to the community, and prepare yourself, because this game plays similarly, but so far differently from previous mech games.

If you are looking to play fire support, there are more than a few mechs for it. From the Marauder being a good PPC/Gauss loader, to the KGC dual guass rifle, or triple/quad LRM barnyard, to the old standby catapult corps. Timberwolves/madcats are still top of the line, and Direwolf is a PPC whale boat. Even the Maddog has a lot of love as a fast LRM boat. You literally cant go wrong with how many good fire support mechs there are in the game.

#6 ZelionFM

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the helpful info. Yes, I've done the tutorial, and I've noticed this is quite different from the old games. I've already got about 11-12 games in with the Ryoken- I mean Stormcrow SCR-Prime(C) offered in the trial, and to be honest, I do very much like the game, despite pugs being rather hit or miss. But that's the nature of pugs.

It's a little difficult, though, getting used to the new names. I mean, I played Mechassault, so I knew about the Maddog at least, but I'll probably never stop calling them by their old names. Heh.

Also, I guess I'm looking for a mix. You know, a group to kick back with that plays competitively, but doesn't take it too seriously.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

View PostZelionFM, on 12 January 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

Thanks for all the helpful info. Yes, I've done the tutorial, and I've noticed this is quite different from the old games. I've already got about 11-12 games in with the Ryoken- I mean Stormcrow SCR-Prime(C) offered in the trial, and to be honest, I do very much like the game, despite pugs being rather hit or miss. But that's the nature of pugs.

It's a little difficult, though, getting used to the new names. I mean, I played Mechassault, so I knew about the Maddog at least, but I'll probably never stop calling them by their old names. Heh.

Also, I guess I'm looking for a mix. You know, a group to kick back with that plays competitively, but doesn't take it too seriously.

when the Clans first appeared in the Inner Sphere the IS had no idea what the Clans called their Mechs so gave them names, most stuck.

most famous was a computer having trouble working out what a Timber Wolf was and alternating between MAD (Marauder) and CAT(non standard designation for Catapult, standard designation would be CPLT) as it had similarities to a cross between a Marauder and Catapult, hence it was dubbed the Mad Cat,
the Summoner had Thunder and Lighting (AC and PPC) so was dubbed Thor.

it does sound like PL should be a good fit for you but it is definitely worth checking out the recruitment forums http://mwomercs.com/...munity-warfare/ to see if you can find something else

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

View PostZelionFM, on 12 January 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

The "old names" are the Inner Sphere names for Clan mechs. Since they are meant to be played by the Clans, they have the Clan names in MWO. I'm sure you'll get used to it. Though to be honest I like Mad Cat more than Timber Wolf.

Even if they are the "same thing."
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 12 January 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#9 ZelionFM

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

I just wanted to come back to this topic to say thanks for all the help to all those who responed. It was a little rocky at first, but I've completed my Cadet, and have been running around in a CRB-27SL after seeing a pretty neat build by SideStrafe. Sticking my elongated nose out is still a bit of a problem, but I'm really comfortable in it. I tended to run Hellhound in Mercs4 whenever I wasn't in organized play, and it feels pretty similar, minus the all-laser hardpoints.

Still on my own in this game, but now that i'm reasonably comfortable in a mech, I'll probably be searching for that pretty soon.

Edited by ZelionFM, 15 January 2016 - 10:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users