HSR 200-D Hussar Battlemech Fan Art (WIP)

11 replies to this topic

#1 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Still work in progress, but you can see the direction of it. Two versions: a new design that can twist torso and classic one.

This is the 'Mech I'm redesigning.

Posted Image

Edited by Czechu NS, 12 July 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Oh good, I liked the Hussar, but always hated it's streamlined and wimpy look.

#3 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'll give some constructive critique but keep in mind that i can be kinda harsh and nitpicking on what might seem like minor details.

I really like the area where the hips attach to the groin in the left drawing.
The area just behind the cockpit looks good too since it gives the gives that part of the mech more character.

Have you concidered making the area just underneath the barrel a little lower or heightening the placement of the barrel itself to make it more capable of aiming slightly downwards?
Adding something that looks like a joint that can aim the barrel upwards more and down a tiny bit would be nice if done well.
Just a minor detail though...nitpicking really.

I also noted the cooling vents along the barrel. Those are essential to add more detail to it.

The backtoes and the ankles on the right drawing looks really good since they look like they would really work. On the left drawing it's hidden and thus not so interresting.

Can you add something to make the arms seem more attached to the mech itself? That would do wonders i think. But yeah if it's attached the way it's on the original you wouldn't be able to see it from this angle.
The fenders just above where the legs join the groin on the left drawing looks much better than the original i think.
It looks far more realistic and functional. The originals soft curves there isn't doing the mech any favors in my opinion.

In short your torso twist version looks tougher and has a more warmachine look to it when comparing it to the original.
And that is always a good thing for a battlemech in my book.

Edited by Spleenslitta, 12 July 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#4 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

@Spleenslitta
Thank you for very constructive opinion and advices! Of course most of the details will come later, after I finnish removing imperfections, deforming shapes and such. Excelent idea with positioning the barrel higher and adding the joint for better aiming. More turret-movement will have the classic version though... I will try to expose the arm joints a little, but as you noticed it will be hard from that angle.

BTW: Left drawing is much older then the right one, so some parts are looking very poor (and some older layers weren't removed yet, so you may thing, that some parts are not functional). I always make few copies of the drawing so I can add/draw different parts, experiment and then choose the better looking ones.

#5 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

View PostCzechu NS, on 12 July 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

@Spleenslitta
Thank you for very constructive opinion and advices! Of course most of the details will come later, after I finnish removing imperfections, deforming shapes and such. Excelent idea with positioning the barrel higher and adding the joint for better aiming. More turret-movement will have the classic version though... I will try to expose the arm joints a little, but as you noticed it will be hard from that angle.

BTW: Left drawing is much older then the right one, so some parts are looking very poor (and some older layers weren't removed yet, so you may thing, that some parts are not functional). I always make few copies of the drawing so I can add/draw different parts, experiment and then choose the better looking ones.

Oh yeah Another couple of things about the barrel. I really dig the shape of the barrel. It's not just better than the original on Sarna.
No....it's superior. Pure and simple.

As for the increase in skill from one drawing to another i can relate to that - I got the same problem when i made mechs with Blender.
I learn about a new tool and my goldfish like attentionspan forgets the mech i was working on while i design something entirely new.

When i finally return to the mech my skills have grown and i redesign the whole thing from scratch since it now looks crappy.
Then new inspiration strikes while i'm working on the leg joints with my new tool and the torso/hull has to be redesigned to adapt to my new ideas.

And so on and so forth. It goes on and on.

#6 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

idk why, but when i looked at the arms i imagined a cartoony trex flailing its tiny arms around wildly

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostCzechu NS, on 12 July 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Still work in progress, but you can see the direction of it. Two versions: a new design that can twist torso and classic one.

This is the 'Mech I'm redesigning.

Posted Image

Very nice, looks a lot like some of the mods I have doodled on it, only refined and better. I prefer the right one, w/out the torso swivel. It looks better balance, and the Hussar, much like the original Marauder, Falconer and others simply is horribly unbalanced, and that imbalance is magnified on your swivel version. Trying to torso swivel while moving would overload any gyro with that much forward mass.

I would love to see the right version in a finished state. Very nice.

#8 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 July 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

Very nice, looks a lot like some of the mods I have doodled on it, only refined and better. I prefer the right one, w/out the torso swivel. It looks better balance, and the Hussar, much like the original Marauder, Falconer and others simply is horribly unbalanced, and that imbalance is magnified on your swivel version. Trying to torso swivel while moving would overload any gyro with that much forward mass.

I would love to see the right version in a finished state. Very nice.

Bishop gives a fair point there. The left one is too forward heavy. But putting the groin/ torso swivel section slightly more forward should fix it.

Now that i look at it...the housing around the barrel could expose the understructure a bit more so the cooling vents are more exposed.
The left version has the right of this almost at the base of the barrel where it joins the turret. The turret itself could be a bit...wider perhaps.
Like on an Abrams tank.

#9 Czechu_NS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

I was also thinking about the weight and other issues on the left design. Probably I will focus on the classic version now and then I will do something with the left one. Thanks guys for opinions!

#10 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Nice!
I have a custom Hussar commission in the works myself.

#11 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

That's an improvement. But you need to change out the hands with lasers/guns.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

View PostButane9000, on 12 July 2012 - 05:58 PM, said:

That's an improvement. But you need to change out the hands with lasers/guns.

WHY? Hussars only have 1.5 tons of armor. Any lasers there would only get the pilot to do something foolish, like get close. Hussars are designed to scout, raid, and harass for long periods without resupply, using the superior range of their ER Large Laser, and top speed of 150 kph to AVOID fire fights. And those hands come in mighty useful when raiding for supplies to stay in the enemies rear, since they are often in the field for months at a time.

Just because the video game might not make use of them (though one can hope), doesn't mean all us classic TT fans should just go for neutered video game versions of these "mechs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users