- - - - -

New Mechwarrior Looking For Help.

34 replies to this topic

#1 Takahashi Morimoto

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:42 AM

I am a new player and am having some trouble deciding on a new mech to buy. What do I need to consider before I do? Is weaponry a factor or should I base my decision on something more tangible?

#2 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:54 AM

Firepower and mobility, that is really all it boils down to. From your sig, I will assume you want an assault mech. The Zeus or Banshee is a pretty solid mix of firepower and mobility.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

Have you have played the tutorial and the first 25 matches giving you about 18 million to spend, if not I strongly recommend doing that before buying your first Mech.

Hopefully you tried a variety of them and did 2-3 games per Mech.
Concider what you liked and disliked about each Mech and weapon,

tell us what you liked and dislike about each Mech you tried then we can offer tailered advise rather than just suggesting good starter Mechs,

my default suggestion is the Hunchback, it can be faster and more agile than the Clan heavies, can mount a decent loadout with a standard engine, and has a week point which needs protecting so will teach you how to protect that, a skill which will be useful for any Mech after you have taken a bit of damage, however if you love moving at 145kph or want multiple large ACs for example that will not be great for you.

#4 Takahashi Morimoto

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:30 AM

Ah ok. Thanks for the prompt responses. My sig was just made up as a haiku... I think. I am almost done with the matches that give the C-bills. Now I tried the Catapult trial mech but the fact that it has no close in weapons such as lasers kind of bothered me as I like to be able to defend myself in close combat if it came to that. I do like the fact that I was able to hit from long range with the LRMs but that would do me no good if they got close. That is the only mech that I have liked so far despite the lack of close combat weaponry. The Atlas that I tried out needs more speed but other than that I have no complaint about the mech. The lights are fast but have weak armor so I think that a hit and run away real fast tactic is what I need to do. Will do more research and post again.

#5 TheOddball

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:32 AM

It depends on how you like to play. Do you prefer hit and run tactics? Then you need something quick and probably light, that can run 140kph+. Do you prefer to sit at range, hiding and picking off targets? Then there are some good medium and heavy snipers out there that can send a lot of damage down range before disappearing again. Do you like to get up in the fray and hit hard? Then you would be looking at beefier heavies and assaults. Would you prefer missile support roles? These are often limited in what they can do close up, but with a good team can have you raining damage from a distance.

Weapon skills will be something you lean over time. Using ballistic weapons sparingly to conserve ammo, waiting for good targets before sending missiles to a target, or stagger firing your laser weapons to manage heat buildup. You pick these up as you play, almost regardless of 'mech.

Rogue Jedi is right about the Hunchbacks. They are good platforms to learn from and hone many skills. Because of the different variants, you have a good choice in weapon load outs.

Did you have an idea of what you preferred?

#6 Takahashi Morimoto

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:34 AM

I don't have any idea yet though I would like to be able to get in and duke it out with the other heavies. I admit that I need more practice as a whole though. But like I said, I have to do more research before I settle in on a role.

Edited by Takahashi Morimoto, 14 January 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#7 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:37 AM

View PostTakahashi Morimoto, on 14 January 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

Now I tried the Catapult trial mech but the fact that it has no close in weapons such as lasers kind of bothered me as I like to be able to defend myself in close combat if it came to that. I do like the fact that I was able to hit from long range with the LRMs but that would do me no good if they got close.

I agree the trial catapult is not really good.
But as a general comment if you are a LRM-boat your best defence against close quarter opponents is your teammates. A good positioning worth much more than all the backup weapons you could load.
On a LRM-boat, so-called backup weapons (usually medium lasers) are not meant to be close quarter defences (not their first purpose anyway), but additional offensive weapons. That's why the LRM+SRM combo is bad, the range window where they are both useful is so small.

#8 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:10 AM

First mechs are a subjective issue for everyone.

My advice:
1 - Don't be in a hurry to spend C-Bills
2 - Try all classes of mechs for at least 1 week (or 2 if you are a casual player with limited time to spend on the game)
3 - Try using that experience to feel which works best for you (if it takes more than 2 weeks, all the better, more C-Bills and more experience you get)
4 - Make up your mind, usually people are split between 2 classes. Use trials only from those classes and narrow it down to 1 class
5 - Come back to request advice on some of the mechs on that class as a first mech. If you have specific preferences is helpful also

Good luck.

#9 Takahashi Morimoto

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:18 AM

Well thanks for the input guys. I will post more this weekend after I do some looking around the mech store and all. Thanks for not treating me like a noob and all too.

#10 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:25 AM

As a fellow newb, I would personally recommend a heavy as your first mech. A heavy-heavy or a lighter heavy, depending on how mobile you like to be. But a heavy nonetheless. Of all classes, I find them the easiest and most forgiving to play with, although I agree that mileage may vary.

After that, I'd take an IS heavy strictly for the lower cost (a fully upgraded IS mech costs about the same as a Clan mech, but you've got the freedom to decide exactly how expensive it is, instead of paying a lump sum from the start).

I'd then suggest picking a chassis that's not specialized on a single weapon type. You need to be able to play with different weapon types and different range weapons in order to figure out what kind of a pilot you are. I like running ballistics for example and shooting people in their faces from point blank Posted Image.

For example, the Black Night, Grasshopper and Quickdraw are chassis specialized in energy weapons. They barely have any other hardpoints.
The Orion, Thunderbolt and Jagermech on the other hand are not so specialized, they have a bigger diversity of hardpoints and potential builds for you to experiment with.
I wouldn't take a Cataphract at first because it's huge for it's low tonnage, very easy to hit and take down.

Edited by aaykeem, 14 January 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#11 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:28 AM

Reading this I would suggest a stormcrow , with combinations of omnipods it can fit all of the a fore mentioned roles, lrm boat, srm boat, laser boat , ac20+3erml and many more , with great mobility and good hitboxes.
It is a great mech to start with if playing clan is not a problem.

#12 LeeNTien

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 126 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:37 AM

I am a huge proponent of choosing Stormcrow or Timber Wolf for the first mech - simply because on a single mech you can try out pretty much every possible build and decide what weapons and gamestyle you prefer. Those swappable omnipods are just too good to ignore.
Or, as mentioned above, you can go with an IS mech with a lot of different variants, like Hunchback. You won't be able to try every fit on a single mech, but you can swap engines from one to another and the price of every mech is much lower, than a clan "meta", so, you can actually afford 3 mechs, not just one or two.
The trials are very good, from what I've seen, at demonstrating different weapons and styles.

Edited by LeeNTien, 14 January 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#13 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:15 AM

http://metamechs.com/

Master guides, builds, whats good what isnt. It's all there.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostLeeNTien, on 14 January 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

I am a huge proponent of choosing Stormcrow or Timber Wolf for the first mech - simply because on a single mech you can try out pretty much every possible build and decide what weapons and gamestyle you prefer. Those swappable omnipods are just too good to ignore.

I am not a huge proponent of the TBR or SCR as a first Mech, buying and outfitting 1 of those will use up most of your money, and they are such great Mechs anything else will seem like a downgrade, also the fact that they do not really teach you anything and are primary targets for the enemy team count against them, however everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and now you have heard both arguments on the subject.

View PostTakahashi Morimoto, on 14 January 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

Now I tried the Catapult trial mech but the fact that it has no close in weapons such as lasers kind of bothered me as I like to be able to defend myself in close combat if it came to that. I do like the fact that I was able to hit from long range with the LRMs but that would do me no good if they got close. That is the only mech that I have liked so far despite the lack of close combat weaponry.

if you are not in a hurry try the other Trial Mechs and come back with more information.

however if you are impatient
You said you liked the Catapult trial Mech, if that is the case you could always go with Catapults,
The Trial is an A1, it has 6 missile hardpoints and you will already have earned some XP on it maybe enough to complete the basic skills if you have done OK over 10 or so matches, if you go catapults you may as well get it but make that your third Catapult, you can use LRMs and SRMs/SSRMs so you are not helpless at close range, the trial Catapult does have SRMs and LRMs, the SRMs are basicly dumb fire rockets, if you buy one you could swop them for Streak SRMs which are short range homing missiles.
The C1 (2M and 4E hardpoints) or C4 (4M and 2E) would give you the energy backup weapons you want along with the missiles you said you enjoy.
The K2 gives you 4 energy and 2 ballistic hardpoints,
There is also the Jester with 6 Energy hardpoints but that is a Hero Mech, it costs real money, has a unique camo patten and gives you 30% more cbills per match.

why you will eventually want 3, the Mech skill "tree" (more of a line really) requires Mechs to unlock the next stage, the basic skills must be unlocked on 3 variants of the same chassis, so for example 3 Catapults, this unlocks the Elite skills, including Speed Tweak, that allows your Mech to move 7% faster when unlocked but the real advantage comes when completing the elite skills, the strength of the basic skills is doubled. if you complete Elite on 3 Mechs from the weight class, say 3 Heavy Mechs, 3 Catapults or a Catapult, a Dragon and a Timber Wolf for example that unlocks the master level, the only Master skill to unlock is an extra module slot.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 14 January 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#15 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

Since you mentioned the Catapult, you should know that not all variants are like the trial version. Most of them have Energy hardpoints too. Play around on SMURFY with some of the different variants. You'll be able to build a mech before you actually spend anything in game. While you won't be able to try it out, it will give you an idea of how the mechlab works in game and how to go about outfitting mechs. You can also see what builds are popular by clicking on the statistics tab. Pay close attention to how heat efficient your build is. Keep the heat to a minimum.

#16 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:59 AM

Well the research is almost all the fun, enjoy and we will be curious to see what your results are.

#17 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

@OP: Play trials until you figure out what you like. Make it a point to try 'em all. That is, at least one of each weight class, and that within each tech base (Clan or IS), per session. There are PLENTY of trial options, and all the ones that are Champion mechs (have the (C) after their variant) are pretty good. When you find one you really like, and start to get comfortable in it, then THAT is your best first mech purchase.

But don't be in some hurry to BUY your own mechs. Again, some (MOST, really) of the trials are pretty good. And that cadet bonus is like your payout for your first hit single--it's BIG, but it doesn't last long. It's going to burn a hole in your pocket, as they say. LET IT. Seriously, the ComStar Bank apparently doesn't charge any hidden fees (also doesn't pay interest, but w/e). Let the money sit there a while. Pile it on. Take your time figuring out what you want to OWN.

And soon enough, you will answer your own question.

Welcome aboard, and best of luck to you!

#18 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:13 PM

View PostTakahashi Morimoto, on 14 January 2016 - 05:42 AM, said:

I am a new player and am having some trouble deciding on a new mech to buy. What do I need to consider before I do? Is weaponry a factor or should I base my decision on something more tangible?

How many matches have you played? there are lots of good trials in play right now.. I suggest play a good 50-100 matches in them before settling on a mech. You will have banked alot of C-bills, and you will have a lot of XP banked on many different trials.

That means if you decide you like one of them, when you get 3 to unlock, one of which will be a mech you have been playing and you can just unlock the entire thing.. (i played a lot of mathces in a trial timber, and by the time i decided to buy mine, it had enough XP to master between the free premium on the new account and the champion XP bonus. then you can start off with another varraint first.. and it's like leveling 2, because you already will have had enough XP to master one banked.. Posted Image

Might i suggest playing..

For lights, Adder, try PPC's (more of a sniper)
arctic cheeta small lasers (lance support, light hunter)
Jenner, medium lasers (good all around light)
raven 3L pair of large (sniper, longer range, but ECM for lance support,, stick with the fatties!)

Mediums
enforcer, ac-10 with medium lasers (good medium ranged mech)
Hunchback, the medium laser boat (will run hot, but teach you about heat, and puts out crazy damage)
stormcrow, medium pulse lasers (just pour on DPS at 300-400m)
Shadow Cat, Gauss rifle (long range sniper.. learn to used a gauss)

heavies
timber wolf large pulse with medium lasers Probably the easiest trial to play.. its just solid
thunderbolt, large pulse lasers, an other easy mech to play.. hits pretty hard at 400-500m
Catapult and Ebon jag, are SRM+LRM mechs If you like the catapult, try the ebon, looks like it has more SRM's for up close

Assaults
Atlas, is a short range monster brawler, assaults are slow.. but this one brawls well
Dire wolf, set up with longer range, lasers+gauss, Use an assault as more of a medium-long range hitter
Executioner, short- medium ranged energy mech fastest of all the assaults in play now
Crab, Medium-long quad Ac5 ballistics monster If you don't like this mech, you don't like ballistics

You play 10-20 matches in all of them, you will have a great idea of what you like and what you don;t seriously, as you learn to play in these trials, go back to some of the ones you didn't like first time around.. perhaps you learned something and now would like um better, it happens to many people

PS, play the mediums and heavies first Posted Image

Edited by CJ Daxion, 14 January 2016 - 10:20 PM.

#19 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:16 AM

View PostSomeone, on 14 January 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

Seriously, ignore this. I mean, look at it if you want sure, but these builds are often trash for new folk. People have quit after spending all their starting cash on builds from here. It is meant for high end competitive play, not for learning the game. They are not for everyone.

So, also think about what weaponry you like, Clan or IS tech, Ballistics, Energy, or Missiles. Also, ask yourself this... DPS or High damage Alphas for poking and cooling down? Then we'll have some hefty suggestions.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 15 January 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:31 AM

View PostLeone, on 15 January 2016 - 01:16 AM, said:

Seriously, ignore this. I mean, look at it if you want sure, but these builds are often trash for new folk. People have quit after spending all their starting cash on builds from here. It is meant for high end competitive play, not for learning the game. They are not for everyone.

So, also think about what weaponry you like, Clan or IS tech, Ballistics, Energy, or Missiles. Also, ask yourself this... DPS or High damage Alphas for poking and cooling down? Then we'll have some hefty suggestions.

~Leone

Agreed. To quote something from another thread in which someone went to metamechs (specifically mechspecs which also gives meta builds) and built something.. and was horribly disappointed.

Tell us more about what you want, and remember that MechSpecs has a list of meta mechs for high level competition play which... in normal circumstances, suck. Without actual teams supporting you with 12 player communication and assigned roles with support, many of their builds can and will fail you. No new player should be sent to make meta mechs right off the bat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users