16 replies to this topic

#1 Baradul

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:36 AM

Greetings, Mechwarriors!

Did you ever wonder what the point of medium mech is?
Not enough punch, armor made of paper, mediocre speed...

Ever considered this class as a strategic asset?

The main role of this loadout is to supress the enemy so that your team is free to move and get into whatever position you like. The the constant ballistic fire is great at shaking cockpits and laying supressing fire at choke points while the LRMs trigger never ending missile warning messages.

Check out my video and learn how to play a multi range fire support mech!

Do you have any similiar loadouts or other mechs which suit this role?

#2 Nephologist

• PipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEastern Shore

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:11 AM

Great video Baradul! Really informative.

After banging my head against my St. Ives Blues with a number of builds, I've settled upon something similar to what you are talking about.

2 LRM5s, 2 LLs, Tag, JJs, XL250

My modus operandi in this guy is to attach my self to the assault lance and target their targets with missiles and manuever to get some LL pokes in.

It's missing the ballistic hardpoint you use in your builds, but I find if I equip the LRM5 cooldown module and chainfire both launchers I can keep a fairly steady stream of missiles on target that provides the distracting screen shake and missile warning.

#3 Baradul

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:14 AM

Yes, this one is all about fast firing and constant hitting.

Your build sounds fun as well. I really like the idea of the TAG laser. This one allows you to be even more supportive. I guess I try to build something similar.

#4 Axel Sprocket

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:41 AM

Awesome video Baradul! The guide was clear and straight to the point. Hopefully, your guide will help people understand the importance of medium mechs in battle. Keep up the good work! Posted Image

#5 Baradul

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

Thanks mate! You are really encouraging me doing more of these :)

#6 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

you saved the urbie! that is what all the other mechs are for right? :)

#7 Baradul

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

Saving his royal Urbiness is the highest priority game target, of course. For everybody. Always.

#8 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

Just about how I play the urbies. You know someone has to protect those direwhales.

#9 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:18 AM

Quite nice, i'm still rocking a very old build from before the quirks atm. 2x AC5 + 2 ML and a XL engine. It works well from time to time but it isn't perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/s1PcT0F.jpg

#10 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

Very good guide! Easily understood, great examples, and just a tad bit of humor thrown in.
(And no, Atlas's are never afraid of your screen shaking, they are fear bundled into mech form)

I actually have a Warhawk that plays quite similarly to that, except that it often DOES do the most damage. (as it should, being an assault)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3e03e5138aead3c
I know, I know. Not a highly mobile deal, but it is about as strong of support as it gets. It about obliterates anything it spots and holds its own very easily. Posted Image

On the other end I have my Kitfox.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8773502042cc374
If you're daring, strip another full ton of armor and add another ton of ammo. (but then never, EVER, look at ANYTHING) Posted Image

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Gamuray, 09 January 2016 - 09:47 AM.

#11 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

Interesting gamestyle.
I think I'll try it on the Centurion-D, with 2 AC/2s, 2 LMR5s and 2 MLas. The -30% ballistic cooldown make the AC/2 a pretty nice weapon on this mech. Though I'm afraid I'm losing too much speed for the LRMs (6 tons!) compared to my usual double AC/2 build.

I like the psychological/suppressive/random-shooting-without-direct-line-of-sight of the LRM5s. I'm using it on my Stalker, on 4 LLas + 4 LRM5s build.

edit : but is there a reason you have so much armor in the rear? 22 points is insanely high. I personally never place more than 10.

PS: I disagree on the "Not enough punch, armor made of paper, mediocre speed..." Lots of medium mechs (most of them actually) have an almost indecent firepower for their tonnage, and/or move pretty fast, and/or can tank like crazy. Usualy not all three at the same time, but lots of mechs can at least do one or two.

Edited by epikt, 09 January 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#12 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

Edit: Sorry was waiting on a cw match when I posted. This is my preferred role and I like to think Im pretty good at it.
The way I play it is I try to blind the opponent with lrm5 spam and then poke them hard with my other weapon/s. This usually makes them decide they are late for something somewhere else.

So here are a few of my favs
Mal 1R 2 AC5 2 LPL 4 lrm5, xl320. This guy will make them drop their cookies and run for their lives.

GRF 2N 1 ERLL 4 lrm5 xl300 ecm and full jj. I usually keep this one fitted with quad srm6 but this build here has served many a match on overwatch. Get up high and control battle space.

KTO 19 2LL 4 lrm5 xl300, adv zoom, radar dep, LL range, lrm5 cooldown. This is what I usually run 1st drop in cw with. Tanky little scout with a nasty punch, rip armor with the lrms then step out and pinpoint the holes.

KTO 18, this doesn't really fit your mix of weapons but I play that role with it. 2 ways I run it.
5 lrm5 1 ERLL xl 300 and 8t ammo. Basically the Griff build trading jj and ecm for ammo and a 5th launcher.
Or my cw build with same engine and tube count but with 2ml and 11t ammo.
When the enemy tries to push this guy slows them down until my team can respond if it doesn't break them altogether.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 10 January 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#13 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:22 AM

That was an awesome video; I actually learned some new tactics / strats today. Liked and subscribed. Keep up the great work! :D

#14 Tetule

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:35 AM

I want a video of medium mech close range fighter,since im an user of Nova with small pulse lasers and machineguns,maybe has not much to show,because those mechs at close quarters has the role of chase hurt enemy mechs...or maybe is what about im using mine...

This is my actual loadout on my Nova S:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9a390c7168711a

Edited by Tetule, 11 January 2016 - 07:39 AM.

#15 Baradul

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:00 AM

Yes, I actually considered a chicken hunter type of medium mech. Next one will be a self-reliant LRM-Assault though. I already recorded the gameplay and will do the commentary this evening. Maybe you get the video until tomorrow. Stay tuned!

EDIT: Here is the next one!
http://mwomercs.com/...liant-lrm-boat/

Edited by Baradul, 12 January 2016 - 12:20 AM.

#16 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:57 AM

Out of topic maybe, but:

View PostTetule, on 11 January 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

I want a video of medium mech close range fighter,since im an user of Nova with small pulse lasers and machineguns,maybe has not much to show,because those mechs at close quarters has the role of chase hurt enemy mechs...or maybe is what about im using mine...
This is my actual loadout on my Nova S: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9a390c7168711a

Not exactly sure what "chase hurt" means...
Anyway, your build is hugely underpowered. It looks like a Kit-Fox.
The usual SPLas build carries 10 lasers. If you want MGs (but they are useless, and maybe worse), try 12 SLas + 4 MGs. The strength of the Nova is its numerous hardpoints, it's a shame using so few.
I you want close range Nova videos, I made one last week. Also check the "Sauce" series by Soy, a lot are showing Novas.

Edited by epikt, 13 January 2016 - 03:43 AM.

#17 Baradul

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:13 AM

Very nice video. I really like your hit and run style.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users