6 replies to this topic

#1 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:42 PM

Currently I'm running MWO on a 15 fps potato. Without much money to upgrade this appeared on Craigslist for $400.

http://grandrapids.c...5396966034.html

I asked for more details and was sent this additional info:
Intel 4th Gen I3-4360 Processor
150GB SSD
GeForce GTX 550Ti Graphics Card
Cool Master Power Supply,
8GB of RAM
Not sure on Motherboard

Not being a big computer person how would this run MWO and is this a good price?

#2 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

Well, it would run MWO at low settings just fine. I couldn't tell you how stable or high your fps would be, though. The price is decent on it I guess.

More than anything, I want to say that this could be a good platform for upgrades down the road, too. So maybe you get this now and in 6 months you splurge for an i5 CPU and better GPU (maybe a PSU to go along with them).

#3 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:49 AM

Thing is. Assuming your potato is a desktop and not a laptop.

That $400 could be better spent than the machine on craigslist with a bit of reusing.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YZTVMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker....Mp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($46.97 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $396.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-16 06:47 EST-0500

Which is the backbone to a new system, reuse current Case, HDD, GPU then replace those as you go.

#4 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:40 AM

Thanks!

That's kind of what I thought. I have a desktop currently and was planning on doing the upgrades DV suggested. It doesn't sound like I'd get enough performance to justify the delay in a proper upgrade. I have a SSD, HD, and case that would be good on any rig.

The one think I don't have is a decent monitor. Mine works fine, but is only 5:4 ratio. Maybe I'll go ahead a lowball him or see if he'd sell the monitor separately.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,692 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:55 AM

Monitor? How much are you going to offer him for the monitor? There are just monitors for sale on craigslist. And if you have an LCD TV (or more than one so as to not bother others) it can be used.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 16 January 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#6 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:12 AM

$50 maybe for the monitor. Although I would need to see exactly what the specs are first.

No other options for display. Only one other TV and it's having ghosting issues. Hopefully there are good TV sales for the Superbowl!

#7 Black Tiger

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:29 AM

FWIW, I ran an Phenom II X4 @ 3G with a GTS450 and it ran medium res and medium settings pretty well. Upgraded to an i7-2600k @ 4G and am now playing on integrated graphics while I save for a video card. Max res, min detail, runs great. Low res, max detail, runs great. My Phenom ran the game at 80-100% CPU, the i7 below 25% all the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users