So What Happened To The Command Wheel Feature?

HUD General

30 replies to this topic

#21 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

View PostJman5, on 16 January 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

From Thursday's stream (~1:16:00)

Posted Image

Designed by whom, Paul? Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 16 January 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#22 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostNik Reaper, on 16 January 2016 - 05:44 AM, said:

This was and still is one of the biggest team play features this game is missing, if you exclude map objectives.... , It was talked a lot during the VOIP campaign but it died down quickly.

Some one with twitter needs to remind Russ we still want and need this in, as the current go to battle grid select lance-> select sign place it and do it two times more so everyone can see it is not cutting it , I haven't seen it used in 3 months even once , and many times it might have helped to know a lance will go that way for no apparent reason and so on, and yes Voip helps but not everyone has it on, is good at english or is paying attention when you are telling them something.

Hell, even just map pings would be welcome, so if it's not too much trouble let's get this ball rolling again this year.

I'd just like to take a moment to remind everyone of PGI's company motto, which is "lolgameplayfeatures?"

#23 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

I dont understand how it could be quicker to take my hands off my weapons and movement controls, to popup and select a command from a wheel, than it would be to use my mouth, which isn't otherwise being used.

1) you shouldnt have to take your hands off your weapons if the command interface is done properly
2) targeting an enemy mech and pushing a button to make it a priority target is WAY faster than having to call targets over VOIP

In CW you often have mechs with designations like EE and you have to call "priority target is Echo-Echo Atlas" or whatever over VOIP. Which probably consumes at least 2 seconds. As opposed to just doing it with the push of a button which takes like half a second at most. PLUS YOUR TEAMMATES WOULD GET AN ICON APPEARING NEXT TO THE MECH THEYRE SUPPOSED TO SHOOT AND THEY DONT HAVE TO HUNT AROUND FOR ECHO ECHO THE ATLAS. so it saves time there too.

Im not sure how you dont understand why thats so much better than VOIP. But it would be, you just have to take my word for it. Theres plenty of other tasks that would be way faster/better done through a command interface than VOIP as well.

Edited by Khobai, 16 January 2016 - 10:43 AM.

#24 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 January 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

So sign up with twitter (it's free)

and do your own work.

Wont turn you into a Kardashian.

Seriously, your using twitter to communicate with Russ is far easier than implementing a Command Wheel, and you haven't done that yet. Why should you expect them to have done the Command Wheel? Posted Image

True, but I don't want an account just for that ( I have no other need of it ), and I don't expect them to have it.. even though they did say they would have it... it seems easier to have someone they already have a back and forth do it, more so someone they look on at least slightly positively.

But that picture is along the lines of what I was looking for , ty.

#25 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostMarineTech, on 16 January 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

What exactly will command wheel do that VoIP won't?

Voip when used can be great, but a visual command along with voip is ideal. I would love it if we can get a command wheel that uses the commander/lance leader commands. Just point cross hair at ground and pick your order. Instead of having to open battlemap click on location on map, hoping you got the right spot you wanted with in the grid point, and repeat it three times.

#26 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

So, it's been a while and it was not discussed on the last town hall, I really hope it will be mentioned on the one tomorrow .

#27 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

Some people don't like to talk. Some people don't want to play games where 12 people can potentially be shouting out orders. Sometimes it's hard to hear what people says due to bad mic.

Mostly, it's far easier to pin a map location from HUD than bring up B-map and call out the sector code. Voip is useful for co-ordination and for communicating something more complicated but a wheel command is infinitely more accessible for a quick shout.

About to get flanked? With voip, you'll have to find your sector code (which can be hard to see), make sure your team heard your panicked warning clearly and your team will have to bring up their B-map to see where you are talking about. With command wheel, one click will indicate all that info. Voip is for when you want to report exactly what mechs are involved in that flank and maybe provide a strategy for a counter push.

Both Voip and wheels are useful tool for specific situations and frankly, I think a wheel will get more use because the majority of the situation just simple wheel-based ones.

#28 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:04 PM

Yeah... didn't happen :( .

#29 Ex Atlas Overlord

• Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

The lack of a command wheel isn't the problem.

People aren't suddenly going to start caring about anyone else they drop with.

Selfish COD mentality FTL

Edited by The Atlas Overlord, 26 February 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#30 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:23 PM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 26 February 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

The lack of a command wheel isn't the problem.

People aren't suddenly going to start caring about anyone else they drop with.

Selfish COD mentality FTL

That is not something that can be helped, but even so many people that didn't communicate in games like LoL prior to there command wheel now use notifications like my laner is missing , witch is a lot more than no communication before it...

And my word... so many cosmetic questions and so irrelevant questions get asked on those town halls , I guess as the care bare kodiak skin didn't get asked I shouldn't feel bad that there was no questions about this..

Edited by Nik Reaper, 26 February 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#31 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:07 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 26 February 2016 - 10:04 PM, said:

Yeah... didn't happen Posted Image .

This is what happens when the players have very little say in what actually gets talked about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users