Skirmishing Breakdown (Video)

7 replies to this topic

#1 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

So I was in a match a few days ago, and there was this fantastic exchange on a conquest point. While I (and lance-mate) came out on top at the point, the team ended up losing the match. However, I think it's a really interesting teaching tool when it comes to those who like to play the skirmisher/hit and run style.

I am no MWO expert, and I don't always follow my own advice in this game. However, breaking it down has helped me, and I thought perhaps it might help a few of you.

I am by no means a video editing expert either (the title card sucks), but I am getting a little better on the video editing/creating thing, so that's always fun.

Let me know what you think, and hopefully it'll help someone out there.

Edited by Zombie Gandhi, 17 January 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

The commentary and the technique make perfect sense, but I don't think it's adapted to your build and how you should have fought this particular engagement.

I understand the need to fall back at first, especially when you realize your teammate is a Raven with LRMs (!!!), but you have a brawl mech, it's not really suited for mid-range slow paced skirmishing (in fact, most of your moves should have been done by the Raven).
The Griffin over-heated and took a massive internal damage ; you noticed that just after you dropped from the crystal. You should have rushed him and kill him fast with your SRMs, if possible using the structure to block the Hunchback's line of fire. Your first evasion (~1m10s) might have been a shy move, but when you had drawn the Hunch away and the Griffin was all alone with the CT open (~1m50) it was definitely a mistake not to take him down.

#3 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

Those are both excellent points, Epikt.

PUG dropping and not having ever gotten the VOiP to work, does make fights like this a little difficult. Also a bit new to the Shadowhawk, so if I'm allowed to lay the blame somewhere, it's there.

That being said, you're still spot on with where I should have been a lot more aggressive. Especially at the 1:50 mark, you're spot on in calling the structure to be used as a blocking tool against the Hunchback, to more safely take out the Griffin.

The more I delve into these kinds of things (picking apart specific movements), and having it critiqued, the more I keep learning, and hopefully refining.

#4 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:47 PM

View PostZombie Gandhi, on 16 January 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

The more I delve into these kinds of things (picking apart specific movements), and having it critiqued, the more I keep learning, and hopefully refining.

Yup, and video is a great tool to critique your own piloting, I use it myself. On the moment it's sometimes not easy to tell what went wrong, or to even notice we made a mistake or could have do things differently. Playing it back often gives new perspective.

It's of course easy to point mistakes afterwards, but it's those acknowledged past mistakes that build your future good decisions. ;)

Edited by epikt, 16 January 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

Use the Media BBC code ( the green graph thing in between the Remove Format button and the dropdown box for Font.) so we don't have to go to Youtube to watch the video. =)

#6 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 16 January 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

Use the Media BBC code ( the green graph thing in between the Remove Format button and the dropdown box for Font.) so we don't have to go to Youtube to watch the video. =)

Ah-ha! I was not aware of this feature, thank you!

#7 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:14 AM

Actually, you don't even have to use the code. Just copy-past the Youtube URL, it will be automatically embedded. Just be sure to erase the "s" if you're browsing in https and to remove all the useless url extensions. I also believe the shorten URLs are not detected. In a word, only use the standard youtube address:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=*********

#8 Zombie Gandhi

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

View Postepikt, on 18 January 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

Actually, you don't even have to use the code. Just copy-past the Youtube URL, it will be automatically embedded. Just be sure to erase the "s" if you're browsing in https and to remove all the useless url extensions. I also believe the shorten URLs are not detected. In a word, only use the standard youtube address:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=*********

Fantastic, thank you. You'd think for as long as I've known about the Internet existing, I'd know a thing or two about forums.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users