#1 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:46 AM

This is something I've had on my mind for a while, it's something that when the discussion comes up always seems positively received & quite exciting.

I'm aware that 1v1 topics are a dime a dozen, but those I found all revolve around 1v1 Private Matches.

What I'd like to suggest is that in addition to Faction Warfare & Quick Play, we could have a third mode, 1v1. I recall suggestion that a Solaris Arena was under consideration, so maybe we'll be getting this eventually, but just in case, I'm adding another tiny voice to the storm.

Whenever competitions or clan activities demand it, -SC- gets to host a series of head to head matches & each & every time, though short, these matches are intense, exciting, edge of the seat stuff. Personally, I can't get enough of 1v1, you see some real upsets & some really clever, unique piloting.

So, on top of the fact that I'm fairly confident that a 1v1 mode would see fairly heavy use, I'd like to suggest that it would also be a MASSIVE force for spectator MWO & even E-Sport MWO. I take this opinion based on the fact that these matches are short, so easily watchable & whenever -SC- has these sorts of matches, there is a lot of internal interest in watching the goings on. I also (rather self importantly) assume this based on the fact that I can't be bothered to spend any of my time watching anyone play games, except when it comes to MWO 1v1.

So:

Pros:
  • Quick Game Modes
  • Exciting, Tense, Varied Gameplay
  • Huge E-Sport/Spectator Potential
  • Another Mode for MWO which could use existing content material
  • Highly Competitive, could feature its own PSR system which would certainly interest a number of players
Cons:
  • Using one games worth of server traffic for only 2 players (though for a fraction of the time of a 12v12)
  • Could reduce activity in other playlists (figure the effect here would be noticeable but not particularly problematic, actually, I'd think this would attract more players)
  • Certain systems might need to be enacted to avoid griefing (honour presently prevents people running & hiding in big maps for instance).
  • Anything else?
Now, there are a LOT of smarter people than myself out there, & I don't wish to downplay the work that this might require (I'm an artist, not a coder!), so I'm entirely open to this idea being flawed, I'm sure it must have already been considered & either is under way or has been shelved/binned & certainly, PGI are busily churning out quite a prolific amount of content (IMO).

But, just in case...

PS: Would love to see a Private Match option for No Teams, allowing Free for Alls. I've seen how much fun those can be!

Edited by Zimm Kotare, 17 January 2016 - 04:46 AM.

#2 Astarot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, Troy, hiding from the Romans

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

So you want to take a game, that all about teamwork, and remove the team element from it?

#3 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

Not at all. You'd still have Faction Warfare and Quick Play, but you'd also have a third mode, in conjunction with the 'sometimes team play' of QP (depending on groups etc) and the 'needs team play' of FW.

Personally I'd still play FW and QP, but 1v1 would offer something different, within the same game. It need not be mutually exclusive at all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users